• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what are your industrial design favorites?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I purchased a 2nd hand mtn bike at a yard sale that was plastered up worse than that one. Layers on layers. Wanted it for something cheap to use where I worked. Something I could just throw in the back of my truck and not worry about too much. I was very surprised it rode so well for a $20 bike. When I pulled a few stickers it turned out to be one of the early high end Trek's with a True Temper S3 frame.
Same here. Bought a run down bike for 50 € for use in the city (it looked so worn down nobody with a sane mind would think about stealing it) and then found out that it was a travel bike (Campus Voyager III). A few years later I had to replace the wheels (the flanks of the rims got too thin) and still use it sometimes. It's absolutely silent and nice to drive.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I lusted after these when I was a kid:
S18_Sting-RayKrates_1405_800x500_0e6e8b1d-b7a1-49d5-aa44-fafe663240ef.jpg

I wanted an Apple Krate.
My brother had a red one.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I prefer modern time comfort:
recumbent_seat_bodylink_on_hpv_velotechnik_streetmachine_gte.jpg
Where I live there's a nice bike lane, a lot of construction and a city highway. I feel sorry for guys in low-to-the-ground bikes like this. Faceful of dust for a kilometer or so.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If were going to talk furniture, I think it's fair to mention Danish designers that helped create the "mid century modern" craze. People like Arne Jacobsen

View attachment 91208

Finally we should also probably mention the names of Giugiaro, Pininfarina, Zagato, and Bertone for their contribution to our postered walls.
This one (Varier Extrem) by Terje Ekström is actually great to sit on:

ny-chair-knit-kni083.png

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Where I live there's a nice bike lane, a lot of construction and a city highway. I feel sorry for guys in low-to-the-ground bikes like this. Faceful of dust for a kilometer or so.
Nope. I ride its predecessor and my head is at the same height as a driver in a normal car (not SUV). Never ever had a problem with dust, even on bad norwegian country roads.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope. I ride its predecessor and my head is at the same height as a driver in a normal car (not SUV). Never ever had a problem with dust, even on bad norwegian country roads.
This is mine on the E6 (a good road with in 2004 a traffic of about 2 cars/hour, hence great to ride a bike) in Finnmark/Norway, with the Lyngen Alps in the background. Despite a luggage of 25 kg+ I reached my personal speed record on this day, with 82 km/h down a mountain pass. This is what I call great design.
n2004-bild006.jpg

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
This is mine on the E6 (a good road with in 2004 a traffic of about 2 cars/hour, hence great to ride a bike) in Finnmark/Norway, with the Lyngen Alps in the background. Despite a luggage of 25 kg+ I reached my personal speed record on this day, with 82 km/h down a mountain pass. This is what I call great design.
View attachment 91222
Man you guys in Europe are spoiled by scenery.

I see a lot of these:
1604429916848.png

A very different design, now that I look at it.

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Man you guys in Europe are spoiled by scenery.
Well, Norway is spectacular, that's why I travelled a lot to Norway. I even learned a bit of their language.
I see a lot of these:
View attachment 91223

A very different design, now that I look at it.
Yes and no. The principal is the same, but this is a racing bike, it's seat is very low, it has an upstage handle bar (to reduce wind effect) and (I think) no suspension at the back wheel (to save weight).

Mine is a dedicated travel bike with a relatively high seat. It's so high that I can mount the low rider packs on a carrier beneath the seat. This is a big advantage regarding stability. I never rode a bike whose driving behaviour changes almost none when you add 25 kg luggage - just make sure the heavy stuff is in the packs below the seat and not in those at the heck carrier. As I wrote - 82 km/h and no signs of instability. Just don't start to think what could happen if something would happen ...:oops:

Last edited:
Top Bottom