• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the most dangerous music for driving?

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
experimental, you say?
tried listening to the german band Einstuerzende neubauten - did it just twice, for the first and the last time...can't imagine doing it again, let alone in a car, i'd probable be stopping every few meters and popping the hood, looking at where the weird noises came from

back to topic: can't find the article nor the name of the piece anymore, though i do remember there was mention of a music piece that was known to extremely relax you / lower your heartbeat, making you drowsy, that was deemed really dangerous while driving i.e. on a highway

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
experimental, you say?
tried listening to the german band Einstuerzende neubauten - did it just twice, for the first and the last time...can't imagine doing it again, let alone in a car, i'd probable be stopping every few meters and popping the hood, looking at where the weird noises came from

back to topic: can't find the article nor the name of the piece anymore, though i do remember there was mention of a music piece that was known to extremely relax you / lower your heartbeat, making you drowsy, that was deemed really dangerous while driving i.e. on a highway

EN George Crumb awesome, I have several of both in my collection

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Before every Formula 1 race you can see Daniel Ricciardo rocking out on his headphones. When asked what he listens to he said metal. I guess the pace of the music amps him up for the race. Red Bull published his playlist when he raced for them in 2015. I wonder what his playlist is today?

I'd assume if you want to go fast or are racing metal would be the way to go. I prefer classic rock, modern alternative, bluegrass or NPR when I drive.

Martin

Robin L

Master Contributor
I would have thought Eno to be the most dangerous, the one most likely to induce highway hypnosis:

It should be noted that the article is really about Schubert's Quintet in C, and I agree with the author as regards its cosmic contraction and expansion of the perception of time. Probably not good driving music :

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I can tell you -- when I was in high school, it was (early) Doobie Brothers. :rolleyes:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Was it really the brothers that caused this or the doobies that went along with it? ;)
That stuff'll just slow one down when driving -- or so I have heard.
1602938724128.png

Why, in my day, we drank before we drove fast! :oops:
Dadburned 21st Century kids, tearing around on their eBikes and puffin' on wacky terbacky...

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would have thought Eno to be the most dangerous, the one most likely to induce highway hypnosis:

Seems that I discover Brian Eno :rolleyes:
It's nicer to watch and imagine all the strange figures that appear in the clouds rather than listening.

Now, THAT's dangerous : Driving while looking in the clouds !

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
some will say it depends on whether you are driving a fine German machine or a sweet Italian sonorous carriage...

but surely the road will be highly influential as well:

one type of music applies to a windy and beautiful path thru a forest

and Jimi's Crosstown Traffic might preserve a bit of sanity in NYC

Kegemusha

experimental, you say?

back to topic: can!'t find the article nor the name of the piece anymore, though i do remember there was mention of a music piece that was known to extremely relax you / lower your heartbeat, making you drowsy, that was deemed really dangerous while driving i.e. on a highway
Lol! I love Einstuerzende neubauten!

julian_hughes

The most dangerous music for driving is definitely the tunes and songs that jihadis use on their youtube ops videos. Stuff always blows up.

Top Bottom