• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the Fostex TH900 much better than the THX00's?

Nobunaga

Yo

I am planning to upgrade my THX00 purple hearts for TH900's. How do they differ and what improvements can i expect?

I would replace the TH900 pads with THX ones.

Cheers

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yo

I am planning to upgrade my THX00 purple hearts for TH900's. How do they differ and what improvements can i expect?

I would replace the TH900 pads with THX ones.

Cheers

At the risk of asking a silly question, why are you planning an upgrade when you don't know what the "upgrade" gives you?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll put that another way. What is it you want from your next headphone? Compared to what the X00 gives you now .

OP
Nobunaga

Nobunaga

Not a silly question at all.

Tbh i am hoping to buy a headphone with the same or similar sound signature as the X00 just better more refined.

I don't want to stray away too much from that sound signature, but yet i want better sound.

My current setup is:
Khadas Tone Board
Decware Taboo MKIII amp
Fostex THX-00 Purple Hearts.

I used to have an alldaq usb isolator which interestingly didn't make any real audible difference for me, couldn't distinguish it blindtesting yet other family members could tell a difference. However, there was a noticable deterioration when using the USB ports on the back of my PC instead of the front (without isolator).

I had to RMA it and now i have $260 to spend and it's my 30th birthday in a couple of days so.

But it's true that i haven't listened to other high end headphones, but i do really like the bassyness and smooth sound of the fostex.

I have around 700-800$ to spend, buying 2nd hand probably.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not a silly question at all.

Tbh i am hoping to buy a headphone with the same or similar sound signature as the X00 just better more refined.

I don't want to stray away too much from that sound signature, but yet i want better sound.

My current setup is:
Khadas Tone Board
Decware Taboo MKIII amp
Fostex THX-00 Purple Hearts.

I used to have an alldaq usb isolator which interestingly didn't make any real audible difference for me, couldn't distinguish it blindtesting yet other family members could tell a difference. However, there was a noticable deterioration when using the USB ports on the back of my PC instead of the front (without isolator).

I had to RMA it and now i have $260 to spend and it's my 30th birthday in a couple of days so.

But it's true that i haven't listened to other high end headphones, but i do really like the bassyness and smooth sound of the fostex.

I have around 700-800$ to spend, buying 2nd hand probably.

Ive had (still got tbh) the headphone bug. Best advice I can give is don't double down on one brand /sound. I can't comment on the TH900 but pretty sure I've read the x00 are the sweet spot in that line up. I'd look elsewhere with the money burning a hole on your pocket.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
The original red cup TH900 has a reputation for being boomy and bright while the midrange is way to recessed. I have the original yellow cup THX00. For me, It has the right amount of bass boost for closed headphones. I have tried a pair of TH900 pads on the THX00, making the THX00 less bassy.

My guess is, TH900 has boomy drivers and neutral pads. THX00 has neutral drivers and bassy pads. Paring the TH900 drivers and THX00 pads would probably sound boomy and bassy. I think a bass-head would enjoy the paring.

Last edited:

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The two headphones have different frequency response. I don't think upgrade is the right term to compare the two. It would most likely come down to preference. I would suggest listening the the TH900 before spending your money on them. You may not prefer the "upgrade".

mechkbfan

Own a few varieties:

- TH0XX PH stock
- TH0XX PH with lawton mod (and experimented with different pads)
- TH900

Basically if you have the PH's, don't bother upgrading.

While I do like the TH900's a little more, it's not worth the 3x the price. To me, it's a little less V shaped and I can pick up a little more detail in the mids. But really, you'd be better off buying an equaliser (or using software) and bringing the mids up on the PH's if that's what you're looking for.

I only got the TH900's because they were cheap off eBay.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor

phrwn

I've not heard the TH900's, but have owned the THX00's and E-Mu Teaks. I'd say the Teaks are a more refined sound of the THX00 - very similar, but with more clarity I'd say. I thought about TH900's too, but got put off buy several reviews saying the brightness caused actual headaches, quickly and repeatably. I get enough headaches without adding more triggers.

I went on a bit of circuitous journey from THX00 to Teaks, but have settled since as I can't think of anything better for the money, my ears and music.

Graph Feppar

I recommend checking out the other bio cellulose driver headphones like Audioquest Nighthawk and Nightowl iBasso SR1 and SR2, Klipsch Heritage HP3.

concorde1

The TH900's sound really amazing EQ'd to Harman. They sound as if they are open back - big soundstage. But their build quality has not impressed me much. The headband has developed lots of creases on it with careful use, and one earcup squeaks a lot when I adjust my head/ear with them on. Still I love them.

Last edited:

gmoney

I think it's well worth it especially if used with TH-X00/TR-X00 style pads that basically transform the headphone. Compared to the PH the TH900 has more present vocals, sounds cleaner overall and has significantly better bass. Also they sound pretty huge for a semi closed back can where as the PH and it's variants sound much closer/inside your head.

It's one headphone I just won't get rid of because IMO nothing really does bass like it.

Top Bottom