• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10s just got released. And available here already. Just ordered an D50s but don't need bluetooth and all..

Cidious

http://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/505000.html

Seems like the ultimate budget DAC. My Khadas has pops and crackles so I'm back to the DX3 Pro. I liked the ESS sound (+ output stage of the ESS) a bit better than the AKM because of a more pronounced bass and a tad more clarity in the top-end. Especially nice for gaming and movies.

I ordered a D50s but now the D10s just released also with the same chip just a single one. No reviews yet. I'm aching to get it too and see if I can hear any difference between both of them...

3174439.jpg

Any sight on a D10s review?

Last edited:

tw99

Why do you think there would be a real audible difference? If you've read this site at all seriously you should realise how unlikely that is. Just buy the one that has the features and price that you need.

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
wolf had reviewed it, it is on his own chinese website.

OP
C

Cidious

I got the D50s in and (un)surprisingly it sounds the same as the DX3 Pro. Where the Khadas sounds slightly different. I will not go into details how it sounds different but the Khadas just does.
(Yes I have an RCA switch for these purposes to do some quick switching between sources. )

Anyway to the point. I'll keep the D50s just as a standalone DAC with Bluetooth. The DX3 Pro can go as a gift to a friend.

I had ordered a D10s but kind of don't expect it to be different sounding to the D50s coming from the same company with the same design ideology etc. So I cancelled the order. Still it seems like a very interesting device as a simple desk DAC at a really nice price. If they deliver again like they do with most of their recent releases then this could be the bread and butter go to DAC for any desk. If it really measures well I'll get one for the office laptop.

I loved my khadas (cases) for that purpose but it keeps popping and crackling every time it starts playing something on every machine with every device I own or cable or driver.

@amirm: looking forward to another review.

3125b

Major Contributor
Costs 99€ at Audiophonics, 30€ less than the E30 (wich I have and am happy with so far) and offers less features. Not too bad, the TOSLINK out could be useful for some people in the desktop application.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Costs 99€ at Audiophonics, 30€ less than the E30 (wich I have and am happy with so far) and offers less features. Not too bad, the TOSLINK out could be useful for some people in the desktop application.
$100 USD as well:
https://hifigo.com/products/topping-d10s-usb-dac-es9038q2m-dsd256-psd384?_pos=2&_sid=00a39b548&_ss=r

Besides just continually improving, no doubt this was pushed to happen due to the Ampire fiasco.

I wonder if the $10 increase is due to Corona or is the standard price.

3125b

Major Contributor
I wonder if the $10 increase is due to Corona or is the standard price.
Good question, it's a brand new product, it may become a little bit cheaper over time. I bet the ESS 9038 is more expensive than the 9018 as well.
100$/€ seems fair for what it is, maybe not a great bargain anymore with all the new competition, but certainly not a bad value.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wonder what the decision or reasoning was for a 20 ohm output impedance rather than 100 ohm before?
It's not going to drive headphones. I suppose with line level source impedance the lower the better, but I doubt this change 100>20 ohm would make any difference at all in normal use scenarios.

Our D10 (non-s) units have been great. The sample rate display is really useful for troubleshooting software playback. It would have been nice to have bit depth too, just so we know for sure that something isn't cutting 32 bit playback down to 24 bit or even 16 bits.

I can't help but think balanced outputs are something more of us are looking for in a low-price, well performing DAC. After my adventures in discovering and then solving the ground loop I had, I am much more inclined to go balanced on any future purchases.
That said, a non-grounded laptop, this unbalanced DAC and a headphone amp or active speakers or HiFi amp would be fine - no ground loop there.

Top Bottom