• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha R-N803 Smart Receiver Review

nemanja_t

Forum Donor
I would now buy A-S1100 or A-S1200 instead of R-N803 with Aria 906s. It depends on your budget.

Matthew J Poes

Technical Expert
Reviewer
I reviewed this product for AV Nirvana And found a similar issue to Amir with the digitized analogue inputs. I talked with the Audio Engineers in Japan about the problem and was told it’s a cheap AD converter that causes the serious loss of performance. They told me it was a conscious decision to save money as they didn’t feel it’s analog inputs would be used by many.

subjectively I didn’t find the digital sources to have the same offense noise problems and sounded much better. This was true only in pure direct mode. Since this was also true of the streaming services I used, it implies the problem is more than just the A/D converter as I was told. It seems the DSP chip itself is compromised.

my opinion was that the network feature and good sound in direct mode make it a solid product. I recommended it at the time. However it was with the caveat that it only be used in pure direct mode.

people are asking about YPAO. I sucked! It is and remains one of the worst room correction systems I’ve ever used. I have tested that system since it’s inception and never had good results with it. Besides the audibly compromised sound caused by the bad DSP section it also has the inherent and In changeable room target curve inappropriately flat. It led to a sound I found overly lean. It failed to correct a number of bass problems, which I consider basic. I was excited to try the feature but ultimately found it useless. I have never been a fan and had hoped this product would change my mind. YPAO remains a wasted feature. Again, in talking to their engineers it seems the problems are with them. They have failed to really understand the science and as a result have included inaccurate assumptions in how to correct the response.

I still recommend the Yamaha, it’s solid in the segment. But don’t buy it for the YPAO or other DSP features. Buy it for the network features, solid app, and good quality amplification (has a decent phono preamp too).

djigibao

Here is interested video about room correction and mic used for that:

nemanja_t

Forum Donor
I reviewed this product for AV Nirvana And found a similar issue to Amir with the digitized analogue inputs. I talked with the Audio Engineers in Japan about the problem and was told it’s a cheap AD converter that causes the serious loss of performance. They told me it was a conscious decision to save money as they didn’t feel it’s analog inputs would be used by many.

subjectively I didn’t find the digital sources to have the same offense noise problems and sounded much better. This was true only in pure direct mode. Since this was also true of the streaming services I used, it implies the problem is more than just the A/D converter as I was told. It seems the DSP chip itself is compromised.

my opinion was that the network feature and good sound in direct mode make it a solid product. I recommended it at the time. However it was with the caveat that it only be used in pure direct mode.

people are asking about YPAO. I sucked! It is and remains one of the worst room correction systems I’ve ever used. I have tested that system since it’s inception and never had good results with it. Besides the audibly compromised sound caused by the bad DSP section it also has the inherent and In changeable room target curve inappropriately flat. It led to a sound I found overly lean. It failed to correct a number of bass problems, which I consider basic. I was excited to try the feature but ultimately found it useless. I have never been a fan and had hoped this product would change my mind. YPAO remains a wasted feature. Again, in talking to their engineers it seems the problems are with them. They have failed to really understand the science and as a result have included inaccurate assumptions in how to correct the response.

I still recommend the Yamaha, it’s solid in the segment. But don’t buy it for the YPAO or other DSP features. Buy it for the network features, solid app, and good quality amplification (has a decent phono preamp too).
Thank you very much for detailed explanation. How would you compare to four number Yamahas, if you had that experience?

civi

Wouldn't lower tier receivers be better options if dap and ypao is a bust? Like r-n602 or even 402/303...

NoGoodPoints

Did you leave the YPAO volume on after running YPAO? I found switching it to off resulted in a drastic improvement. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality when streaming with Audirvana.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Is it YPAO with RSC? And Multi-point? People just say it's YPAO..........it would be sad if it was the basic version. The Wirecutter said YPAO was second to Audyssey in their testing.

Matthew J Poes

Technical Expert
Reviewer
Is it YPAO with RSC? And Multi-point? People just say it's YPAO..........it would be sad if it was the basic version. The Wirecutter said YPAO was second to Audyssey in their testing.

yeah it’s the basic version. It is sad.

Matthew J Poes

Technical Expert
Reviewer
According to yamaha its ypao rsc, single point one.

@Matthew J Poes

I rechecked the review I published and I did note it had R.S.C. as well. I took measurements and apparently didn't include them in the review, so if I can dig those up, I can post them here.

What I found at the time was, first and foremost, it utilized what appeared to be an overly flat target curve. That lead to a system that sounded too lean/bright. I think that fact alone is enough to invalidate its use since I found no way with this receiver to change the target curve. Raising the sub level didn't change it correctly and routinely messed up the response.

Second, turning on Y.P.A.O. activated this additional portion of the dsp that was noisy. It was so bad that I clearly could hear it. I found this highly bothersome, especially with the very efficient JTR Noesis 212RT's I was using, my own Abbeys, etc. It wasn't as noticable with the Phil BMR's, but those are unusually inefficient.

Finally, what benefit Y.P.A.O. made was marginal at best in terms of smoothing/flattening the bass. It really didn't measure well. The subwoofer I was using is a Martin Logan model with ARC built in and ARC made a much bigger difference (and uses multiple spatially diverse measurement points).

So while I tried to like Y.P.A.O., I found myself always turning it off within minutes, unable to live with it.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor

The musicast app has very bad UX. It's library features looks like jumping back 20 years ago, no classification, just a plain browser. On streaming services integration, it is not using the native apps of the streaming services, so you loose the informations and recommendations. On qobuz, you do not have jump into a position of a record. Unbelievable.
I tried the native Qobuz app, but Yamaha Musicast is not compatible with it. So finally, I purchased a Chromecast Audio and put it on the optical input.
Hence I do not use the streaming functionalities of the amp. Very disappointed.

NoGoodPoints

The musicast app has very bad UX. It's library features looks like jumping back 20 years ago, no classification, just a plain browser. On streaming services integration, it is not using the native apps of the streaming services, so you loose the informations and recommendations. On qobuz, you do not have jump into a position of a record. Unbelievable.
I tried the native Qobuz app, but Yamaha Musicast is not compatible with it. So finally, I purchased a Chromecast Audio and put it on the optical input.
Hence I do not use the streaming functionalities of the amp. Very disappointed.

One option to ditch an external source/streamer - use Audirvana with it instead of MusicCast. No issues with it streaming Qobuz, including 192 files. I find the wireless connectivity better than my bluesound. I do use MusicCast to set the crossover.

Last edited:

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
One option to ditch an external source/streamer - use Audirvana with it instead of MusicCast. No issues with it streaming Qobuz, including 192 files. I find the wireless connectivity better than my bluesound. I do use MusicCast to set the crossover.
Having to add a computer because of the bad streaming implementation of Yamaha Musicast is not a cost efficient workaround. A chromecast audio is about 50 euros.

NoGoodPoints

Having to add a computer because of the bad streaming implementation of Yamaha Musicast is not a cost efficient workaround. A chromecast audio is about 50 euros.

Fair enough I didn't realize you didn't have a computer, and I had issues (stuttering and dropouts) with qobuz streaming 24/96 to CCA, until I added roon (at an additional cost of course).

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Fair enough I didn't realize you didn't have a computer, and I had issues (stuttering and dropouts) with qobuz streaming 24/96 to CCA, until I added roon (at an additional cost of course).
I have no issue with chromecast even at high res.
Looks like they made some fixes in the past year.

djigibao

What is this app?
I have this amp, I did not see this screen.

When you are in Rooms section on the top right you have wheel sign->then room Settings->then you have YPAO (speaker Setup)

TonioRoffo

Can Yamaha users tell me if Musiccast shows the file format/bitrate of the stream being played back? thx

Top Bottom