• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choosing Headphone Amp for Fostex T50RP

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm ... But why does a lack of background noise or hiss is called BLACK background, I wonder?! I, frankly, would refer "black" to some sort of bass presentation ... )))

Bob-23
Veri

Thank u very much for your cooperation! And how really interesting! It happens so that my expert advicer has strongly disapproved my choice of Cordial as he calls their cables "the killers of the plugs" meaning they are TOO tight ... I presume KLOTZ AY7-0100 1.0m will be my ultimate choice!
Black background in English always refers to an absence of a anything. The aural equivalent of a blank canvas or pane of glass.

Just out of interest, if you have an expert advisor, why bother asking?

OP
W

WSM_2020

Black background in English always refers to an absence of a anything. The aural equivalent of a blank canvas or pane of glass.
Such image is unusual for me!

Just out of interest, if you have an expert advisor, why bother asking?
I want to have all the motivated opinions to make a sound choice! ))) The more so, I'm in Voronezh and he is in Moscow, not always here for me, and he is not even my friend either... )))

Bob-23

I, frankly, would refer "black" to some sort of bass presentation ... )))
...yes, we could take on your thought: you go deeper(more) and deeper(more) in bass until you reach 0 Hz - then it's black.

he calls their cables "the killers of the plugs" meaning they are TOO tight

You apparently have a multitude of advisors, lucky, you, but, sometimes, too many cooks spoil the broth. The major problem with plugs is that they are too loose, or get too loose, more or less quickly, so that you get loose contacts, that's very annoying, and then there's often no remedy; if your advisor is talking about the shield of the RCA plugs - you can usually bend it in either direction (at least, with the type of the Cordial cable).

Last edited:
OP
W

WSM_2020

...yes, we could take on your thought: you go deeper(more) and deeper(more) in bass until you reach 0 Hz - then it's black.
:D:D:D

The major problem with plugs is that they are too loose, or get too loose, more or less quickly, so that you get loose contacts, that's very annoying, and then there's often no remedy; if your advisor is talking about the shield of the RCA plugs
Не means that, from his experience or the experience of those whom he knows, the plugs of the Cordial cables are TOO tight, so that there is a danger of breaking DAC's or 'phone amp's connectors while connecting them ...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Such image is unusual for me!

I want to have all the motivated opinions to make a sound choice! ))) The more so, I'm in Voronezh and he is in Moscow, not always here for me, and he is not even my friend either... )))
I wouldnt spend too much of your time wondering which sub $20 rca to 3.5mm cable to buy. Is it long enough for current and possible future use? and, can you return easily in the event its defective? Are the only real questions you should worry about. Unless it's defective (see second question) it will have no audible impact on the sound.

OP
W

WSM_2020

I hope so!
OMG! I've just found that the needed cable has been attached with my Edifier R1900TV MM speakers! It is extremely thin of course, but worth a try )))

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I like jds atom for budget builds.

Bob-23

there is a danger of breaking DAC's or 'phone amp's connectors
To take your advisor very seriously: There's, indeed, a particular 'danger': If the outer shield of the RCA plug is very tight, it may scratch (off) the outer layer of the RCA socket, and if it's a gold plated socket/plug, this golden outer layer is usually very thin and thus may be (partly) cratched off - but that 'worst case' is much less worse than loose contacts. The plugs would still conduct your signal perfectly - the golden layer with its lower oxydation is only of a certain use in very humid climates. And to the practical side: Many RCA-plugs have slits in their shield, so that you can take a pair of pliers and compress it, if it's too loose, or widen it, if it's too tight. - But I've just seen you found a solution, and apart from that: Follow Jimbob54's advice.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope so!
OMG! I've just found that the needed cable has been attached with my Edifier R1900TV MM speakers! It is extremely thin of course, but worth a try )))
Don't worry about appearance. Use it before buying. If your system using it delivers trouble free (no loss in connection, horrid hisses etc) sound, you're good. If you think the sound is somehow "lacking" but no obvious electrical issues, it's unlikely to be this cable. We have confirmed you are happy out of the dac hp port. Adding the o2 should only make things better as it has more oomph to drive the t50.

OP
W

WSM_2020

U r ALL extremely useful and reassuring indeed! Thank u very, very much and the best wishes to u! :D:D :D

I see now ... Isn't it true when they speak about a glowing difference in attitude and atmosphere between the Russian and the international technical forum threads?! At the first ones, u would surely find help and useful info, and in great quantities indeed, but severe criticizing, if not bullying, for too "lame"questions and/or too "wrong" views is also nearly guarantied. At the international forums, I have been by now lucky enough to find the most cooperative and supportive attitude only, no matter how profane or even wild my questions or ideas have been ... Or have I been really too lucky?

OP
W

WSM_2020

Well, most stuff will be from that neck of the woods so wouldnt worry about the origin. Cant you find one with good reviews in terms of build quality? Sound quality shouldt be an issue unless it's broken
And that is really THE problem: I cannot google anything substantial about the cables! But what I've found out is that even at the Klotz's site they do not mention thatthe cable I have nearly chosen is shielded. And Cordial with delivery will cost me 16-17 $ ...

OP
W

WSM_2020

Use it before buying. If your system using it delivers trouble free (no loss in connection, horrid hisses etc) sound, you're good.
But they r shame, really! Thin as some cheapest of the cheapest player cables, they cannot be good! I'd better take this or that noname ones for 7-10$:
https://technopoint.ru/product/4d49fbc7add53332/kabel-udlinitelnyj-dexp-35-mm-jack---rca-x2-sale/
https://technopoint.ru/product/2efdeeceefcb3330/kabel-soedinitelnyj-dexp-premium-35-mm-jack---rca-x2-sale/

Bob-23

U r ALL extremely useful and reassuring indeed! Thank u very, very much and the best wishes to u! :D:D:D

I see now ... Isn't it true when they speak about a glowing difference in attitude and atmosphere between the Russian and the international technical forum threads?! At the first ones, u would surely find help and useful info, and in great quantities indeed, but severe criticizing, if not bullying, for too "lame"questions and/or too "wrong" views is also nearly guarantied. At the international forums, I have been by now lucky enough to find the most cooperative and supportive attitude only, no matter how profane or even wild my questions or ideas have been ... Or have I been really too lucky?
I appreciate your radical questioning of (nearly) everything, your not believing a priori what you are told, no matter by whom, your (brutal) asking the questions when it is really necessary to ask them in order to further your understanding of the matter, and your collecting and comparing opinions - such an explorative mindset is rare.

Btw. if your cable is not overly long, even a very thin one should be sufficient.

Reactions: PSO
OP
W

WSM_2020

Yeah, I got it yesterday at last! What a charming tiny box it is indeed! I did not realize that it is so small really - my Yulong is not large at all but this thing is more than 2 times smaller!
It does change things - sometimes loudness reserve appears and overall sounding looks now as somewhat more distinct and detailed one. For the money I paid for it, it is an undesputable treasure. :D
BUT ... it is clearly not an ultimate choice. So I am now starting saving for Topping E30 + L30 ... Just to please myself! ))))))))

Bob-23

Yeah, I got it yesterday at last! What a charming tiny box it is indeed! I did not realize that it is so small really - my Yulong is not large at all but this thing is more than 2 times smaller!
It does change things - sometimes loudness reserve appears and overall sounding looks now as somewhat more distinct and detailed one. For the money I paid for it, it is an undesputable treasure. :D
BUT ... it is clearly not an ultimate choice. So I am now starting saving for Topping E30 + L30 ... Just to please myself! ))))))))
There is no ultimate choice - they day after tomorrow there's gonna be another amp, another dac which measure better - but don't 'sound' better. I'd save the money for another pair of headphones, if at all. Don't fall sick of upgraditis, a widely spread desease, and an expensive one. You'll never be happy on that road.

Last edited:
OP
W

WSM_2020

I understand it very well, I really do, but, you see, Yulong U100 is in fact a bit outdated DAC by its design and functionality, and O2 still does not provide me as much power, as I now clearly see I need ... ;)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
How much more power do you think you need and why ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand it very well, I really do, but, you see, Yulong U100 is in fact a bit outdated DAC by its design and functionality, and O2 still does not provide me as much power, as I now clearly see I need ... ;)

You've tried high gain mode I assume?

Echo Solderdude's question, how much power do you think you need? Every dB extra SPL above where you are now requires a lot of power. That generally has a cost attached to it, expecially as you want that power to be clean.

Reactions: PSO
Top Bottom