• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Purifi Amp builds

TimoJ

Yes I hear these amps on a daily basis, I manufacture them :) . Although I confess I haven't heard a nc400 in a long time.
The NcxxxMP modules all tonally sound extremely similar. Power is the differentiator. They are lower performance modules below Nc400, 500 and 1200.
The Purifi sounds better than 400, 500 and 1200 IMO. However it's not that simple. If you have evil low impedance low sensitivity speakers you may need the drive capability of the 1200. In that circumstance the 1200 may well sound better.
I'd like to build a multichannel amplifier for center and surround channels. The problem is what to do with the center channel amp. I thought about using NC122MP modules and maybe bridge the center channel amp. It maybe sounds different than main channel's Purifi, but the center channel speaker is different, so that already causes differences. Or maybe I should use cheaper Icepower modules for surrounds (but those offer just unbalanced input) and use NC400 for center...

Dimitri

But the amplifier that triggered this discussion is not a DIY product. And other finished amps (including some being sold in CE) also use the NC500 eval buffer.

I might have missed the whole boat. I was going by the thread title. I'm not trying to keep up with which amp is a commercial offering and which one was bolted together by the owner for their own personal use.

I do know all this discussion is making my screwdriver hand itchy and my soldering iron is about to start complaining. :)

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I'd like to build a multichannel amplifier for center and surround channels. The problem is what to do with the center channel amp. I thought about using NC122MP modules and maybe bridge the center channel amp. It maybe sounds different than main channel's Purifi, but the center channel speaker is different, so that already causes differences. Or maybe I should use cheaper Icepower modules for surrounds (but those offer just unbalanced input) and use NC400 for center...
Putting aside that being able to diy with a NCxxxMP means you find them "fallen from the delivery truck", the NC250MP is cheaper and more powerful than the NC122MP.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is technically superior in every respect. I can blind identify the Purify over Nc502mp.

It sounds better to me and most (about 85%) I have blind tested it with. So not entirely meaningless subjective opinion.

Please relate your testing protocol. Double blind testing? Sample size? Etc. "Sounding better" is a subjective opinion and indeed, meaningless.

The objective performance differences between these two amps is beyond minuscule and thus hearing any difference related to the amps themselves begs belief.

Seems to me that if you are going to hold others feet to the fire when it comes to scientifically valid testing, you ought to hold yourself to the same standard.

Last edited:
OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
I might have missed the whole boat. I was going by the thread title. I'm not trying to keep up with which amp is a commercial offering and which one was bolted together by the owner for their own personal use.

I do know all this discussion is making my screwdriver hand itchy and my soldering iron is about to start complaining. :)
Well, maybe it's helpful for some to decide whether it is worth it to them to go DIY? Don't let it deter you from building!

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Thing is the centre channel is the most important in home theatre, so I wouldn't skimp on the the amp if possible. However if cost is an issue bridging the Nc122mp works fine. I have several customers doing exactly what you suggest.

In this context you are very unlikely to hear differences between the amps. The different centre speaker will make far more of a change to the sound.

Personally I think the Hypex amps beat the Ice by a fair margin both technically and in sound.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Please relate your testing protocol. Double blind testing? Sample size? Etc. "Sounding better" is a subjective opinion and indeed, meaningless.

The objective performance differences between these two amps is beyond minuscule and thus hearing any difference related to the amps themselves begs belief.

Seems to me that if you are going to hold others feet to the fire when it comes to scientifically valid testing, you ought to hold yourself to the same standard.

Why have you said that when you have no idea how I test. You are clearly being provocative and trolling for an argument.

As I already said It's blind. Roon simultaneously drives 2 identical dacs in different zones. Volume is trimmed and matched by Roon and voltage measured to be identical at the speaker terminals.
A switch box allows the subject to fast switch between the 2 amps as often as like when they like. They can listen to whatever tracks they like for as long as they like.

Regarding the Purifi I have tested 22 people. Yes it could be more but there is a consistent feedback about the sound.

Regarding technical differences between the amps you are simply not looking close enough. The major difference people comment on is they perceive a more extended "sweeter" high frequency range. Take a look and you will see the Purifi doesn't have the roll off the Hypex do. Very small shifts in frequency response over wide frequency ranges are quite noticeable.

The Purifi measures better and people like its sound more. Nothing meaningless about that.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Why have you said that when you have no idea how I test. You are clearly being provocative and trolling for an argument.

Honestly, I had the same question. It's legit, and I'd have no problem with you asking me this were I to say something similar. Where can I find a Hypex response curve? I'm surprised by the claim that it's not flat in the treble, but I have no direct experience with it and data answers everything. :cool:

FWIW, I did level matched comparison between the Purifi and two other amps and never got to the blinded stage- the sound was indistinguishable to me.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Putting aside that being able to diy with a NCxxxMP means you find them "fallen from the delivery truck", the NC250MP is cheaper and more powerful than the NC122MP.
True, if you can find one. Remember all of the ncxxxmp amps are officially OEM supply only. Whilst they are extremely reliable Hypex may not honour warranties with private individuals who have bought them through unofficial routes.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Honestly, I had the same question. It's legit, and I'd have no problem with you asking me this were I to say something similar. Where can I find a Hypex response curve? I'm surprised by the claim that it's not flat in the treble, but I have no direct experience with it and data answers everything. :cool:

FWIW, I did level matched comparison between the Purifi and two other amps and never got to the blinded stage- the sound was indistinguishable to me.

It is certainly a legit question, I just object to goyrus other comments, tone and implication.

All the Hypex are about 0.6 dB down by 20kHz. The extensive datasheets are on their website have the plots. Same curve confirmed by Amir's various measurements.

Is it a massive difference in sound? No, but nonetheless people can identify it.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I will confess that I'd be unlikely to hear -0.6dB at 20kHz. You must be using younger listeners... which is not a bad idea, if so.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I will confess that I'd be unlikely to hear -0.6dB at 20kHz. You must be using younger listeners... which is not a bad idea, if so.
I'm lucky for my age and OK to about 16-17kHz. However it's the slope over a range of frequencies that seems to make it audible. I should make some filtered files with different slopes to test this out further.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
You could stick a kebab in my ear at 20KHz and I'd not notice.

However from 16KHz down I'd notice even a stray onion.

goryu

You are not the only one....

goryu

It is certainly a legit question, I just object to goyrus other comments, tone and implication.

All the Hypex are about 0.6 dB down by 20kHz. The extensive datasheets are on their website have the plots. Same curve confirmed by Amir's various measurements.

Is it a massive difference in sound? No, but nonetheless people can identify it.

Some people, possibly. Most people, doubtful.

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
You have no basis for that statement and you haven't heard the amps.

The research contradicts your thoughts. As mentioned it shows people can hear tilts in frequency response as small as 0.1 / 0.2dB per octave.
That was my experience under certain conditions.

Top Bottom