• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

maty

Major Contributor
I can only say this for the Netherlands: we are the second largest food exporter in the world after the USA. See here for 2018 data: https://www.cbs.nl/en-gb/news/2019/03/agricultural-export-value-over-90-bn-euros-in-2018 I would think Denmark is also a major league player, with their meat and dairy exports.
This site (without proper source references) gives slightly different numbers, but here too the Netherlands is in the top league: https://www.worldatlas.com/articles...he-largest-exporter-of-food-in-the-world.html
And this one for Spain: https://ecomercioagrario.com/en/spain-fourth-largest-food-exporting-country-in-the-eu/ So Spain exports a lot, but the Netherlands exports almost twice as much in value.

It is one thing to manufacture food and another to have the raw material. It can produce many liters of gasoline in refineries but as oil does not arrive...

If each European country is on its own we will all lose. And the same with the world, the epidemic must be eradicated in all countries as it was achieved with smallpox. Until then the priority must be people and not their nationality, facilitating access to protection materials, respirators and medication.

If there is an active focus in a country, new infection waves will be produced.

Hiten

God help them...because no one else will
Thanks for your concern. The area is sealed with 300 flats and 90 shops. No. of health worker staff are assigned to trace and test people.
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/sto...ra-minister-raises-concern-1662385-2020-04-02

More worrying thing is a small no. of people for their unconventional belief in their faith are not co-operating with Govt. Healthworkers and police are attacked. And some, instead of following social distancing are encouraging to gather. But mostly 99 percent of people are helping each other. We will get through this.

Take care and peace to all.
Regards

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Setting data privacy issues aside momentarily, here's a look at travel / social distancing in practice in the U.S.

Where people were still traveling last week (2020-03-23):

1.people_traveling_last_week.png

Which counties reduced travel the most:

2.counties_reduced_most_travel.PNG

Where people were still traveling the most (2020-03-27):

3.people_traveling_most_Fri.png

When average distance traveled fell below 2 miles:

4.avg_distance_below_2miles.PNG

How average distance traveled changed (Seattle vs. Daytona Beach):

5.how_avg_travel_changed.PNG

JIW

Re Wet Market inferior culture or not

It's just bad practice...you just don't eat another random mammal in sashimi......

Common practice is part (an aspect) of culture. Thus, if the practice is common, discussing the issue in terms of (aspects of) culture, is similar to discussing the practice.

However, deeming something inferior is impossible without a reference/standard. The issue at hand is minimising disease transmission. In this regard, wet markets are inferior. The issue is thus indeed the practice.

digicidal

Major Contributor

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like Gene from Audioholics, I hit the COVID-19 jackpot. Had a slightly worse time than most my age because I got it with a secondary bacterial infection - meant I had to be warded in an isolation room due to my immunocompromised status. Doctors couldn't risk further infection. Had a high-ish fever (peaked at just below 40C) for much longer than I have had in over a decade, slight pneumonia, diarrhoea, slight aches and dry cough. It could have gotten very ugly with the secondary infection but I rebounded quickly thankfully, and my symptoms were very tolerable.

My doctors gave me antibiotics to kick the secondary infection out of the picture for my immune system to focus on the coronavirus, then it was symptomatic relief with cough syrup, expectorants and paracetemol. Pretty much 100% now, just a sore sternum from the coughing and some phlegm.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Setting data privacy issues aside momentarily, here's a look at travel / social distancing in practice in the U.S.

Where people were still traveling last week (2020-03-23):

View attachment 56856
I guess Lander county didn't get the memo here. Luckily almost the entire population of Nevada is located in that bottom notch - and we're not going anywhere. Plus that's mountain country... so they likely have to go 50 miles just to get some groceries - and there's only ~5K of them in the entire county... so I guess the threat is small(ish). :rolleyes: I wish I lived there right now... a nice unibomber cabin sounds pretty good to me.

Like Gene from Audioholics, I hit the COVID-19 jackpot. Had a slightly worse time than most my age because I got it with a secondary bacterial infection - meant I had to be warded in an isolation room due to my immunocompromised status. Doctors couldn't risk further infection. Had a high-ish fever (peaked at just below 40C) for much longer than I have had in over a decade, slight pneumonia, diarrhoea, slight aches and dry cough. It could have gotten very ugly with the secondary infection but I rebounded quickly thankfully, and my symptoms were very tolerable.

My doctors gave me antibiotics to kick the secondary infection out of the picture for my immune system to focus on the coronavirus, then it was symptomatic relief with cough syrup, expectorants and paracetemol. Pretty much 100% now, just a sore sternum from the coughing and some phlegm.

Glad to know you're recovering well! That definitely doesn't sound good at all, but I'm sure you have fantastic medical facilities there (much better than we've got I'd imagine).

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AKG (Harman) is capitalizing making the best of an unusual situation with their 'work at home with Harman' (my description) promotion. Just got this email in my in-box:

akg.gif

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

So pleased to learn you are doing OK. Hope you are now immunized against this from that point on. Keep safe!

OP
A

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Common practice is part (an aspect) of culture. Thus, if the practice is common, discussing the issue in terms of (aspects of) culture, is similar to discussing the practice.

However, deeming something inferior is impossible without a reference/standard. The issue at hand is minimising disease transmission. In this regard, wet markets are inferior. The issue is thus indeed the practice.

To put into context, bats are like pufferfish to the Japanese, Gejang to Korean, except bats are at more extreme end to certain extent. You may call Pufferfish and Gejang cuisine somewhat national, bats are definitely not. They are more local, and more exotic, more extreme. It is not common in any way.

Just my 2c, that's how I understand, I could be wrong, who knows;)

OP
A

andymok

Why exotic animals trading business is such a "grey market" iceburg.
https://www.tfzx.net/article/10308654.html

This article provides insights into what exactly this "culture" is, and what this business is all about.

This is a "gray iceberg" far beyond my imagination .

Business is always inseparable from eating and drinking, mainly drinking. The dining table is an important "social place", especially for "relationship" businesses, which always need to move around and maintain frequently.

Because of some business dealings, and following a few occasions with Han Brother, a little bit higher grade, game is an essential element. Game consumption is no longer an individual phenomenon, but plays a role in the operation of the local business system. Very important role.

For these old ladies who are soaking in the wine board all day long, their taste buds are numb most of the time, and game is a very important conditioning and stimulation.

If you want to achieve some special purpose, or invite some important people to the scene, game is a very important chip and gimmick, is the host to show their sincerity, show that they have a lot of magical powers, a carrier that can get anything.
The point is not that it is delicious or not, the point is that I have eaten it and you haven't.
"the imagination of ordinary people only rests on eating civet. It's also the past two years that I know that there is a very popular dish in many places in the South: Fushou Soup.

The main ingredient is bat."

It is fairly readable after Google Translate.

Last edited:

ElNino

I also hope you don't think NATO is only able to conduct NBC ops on a 'battlefield.'

The troops can be those workers, and I do not mean inside a hospital necessarily.

The military's ability to deal with biological threats is more limited than I used to think. The recent letter from the captain of the USS Theodore Roosevelt indicates that they don't even have shipboard capacity to isolate infected sailors. Their model for responding to NBC seems to be designed for short-term, high-intensity warfare, not this.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/maximising-mobility-in-the-older-people-when-isolated-with-covid-19/

CONCLUSION

Older people aged 70+ are being advised to socially isolate to minimise risk of contracting Covid-19. Pre-frail patients and those on the cusp of deterioration are particularly vulnerable. Social isolation may reduce mobility and tip patients towards functional loss. Anxiety and depression can also worsen frailty. Exercise and social elements of programmes are, therefore, important to consider. Though the existing evidence-base is limited, there is some evidence to suggest that home-based and technology-assisted programmes may help. However, we must acknowledge that despite increasing numbers of older people using technology and the internet there are still some that do not. Focussing the delivery of support to online only will marginalise those without access and alternative methods such as telephone support still need to be considered.

JIW

To put into context, bats are like pufferfish to the Japanese, Gejang to Korean, except bats are at more extreme end to certain extent. You may call Pufferfish and Gejang cuisine somewhat national, bats are definitely not. They are more local, and more exotic, more extreme. It is not common in any way.

Just my 2c, that's how I understand, I could be wrong, who knows;)

I wrote the post to clarify terms and more generally about the wet markets. Further, although I was aware of (some of) the Japanese eating pufferfish, I was not aware of Gejang and I am not aware of the commonality and prevalence (e.g. share of total meals) of either. Thus, unfortunately, your reference is of little use to me.

Still, if a practice is common locally but not common nationally, it would still constitute culture only particular to the locality rather than the entire nation.

maty

Major Contributor
About immunization, there is no certainty that immunization will occur ... permanent. There is talk of a maximum of one year, but it is not yet known.

In the second wave, coming winter (northern hemisphere), it may be more deadly, but the developed world will be much better prepared, with the population controlled from mobile phones yes or yes, and in other ways.

If we find a medication that is effective in the first days, we will be able to reduce hospital pressure and with much less ICU admissions.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mask update: NEJM, Apr 2, 2020

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.
How do you interpret the data in Japan, Taiwan, Singapore and HK?

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

maty

Major Contributor
Coronavirus. La saisie de 4 millions de masques à Lyon par la France énerve la Suède
[French] https://www.ouest-france.fr/sante/v...es-lyon-par-la-france-enerve-la-suede-6797642

Coronavirus. The seizure of 4 million masks in Lyon by France annoys Sweden
https://translate.google.es/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&u=https://www.ouest-france.fr/sante/virus/coronavirus/coronavirus-la-saisie-de-4-millions-de-masques-lyon-par-la-france-enerve-la-suede-6797642

[ The company Mölnlycke sent masks through France which it intended to redirect in part to Spain and Italy. But in the name of the requisition of stocks of medical materials in France to fight against the Covid-19 epidemic, these masks were seized on March 5... ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom