• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veri

Master Contributor
He stated that masks that continue to run out of stock will be extremely effective in responding to the rapidly expanding demand for masks, since cloth masks can be reused by washing with detergent.

@maty ? Washing with detergent isn't enough, I thought

Putter

Forum Donor
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/f...statewide-restrictions/ar-BB120I6C?li=BBnbfcL

Florida is our southernmost state. It seems to be a case study of what will happen if we don't take social distancing measures seriously. From the point of view of most of the rest of the country, especially those north of the Mason Dixon line, they are in Summer. So why does the Trump administration think that the virus will abate in Summer and come back hopefully less severely in Fall (which their projections don't even discuss). I get the impression that they wanted to come up with a big but very conservative number so when they're greater than that people aren't as shocked.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Growth is due to discovered older cases. Still on planned curve, hospitals strained but still coping.
What does "planned curve" mean?
1585758706817.png

Willem

Major Contributor
I suppose the Swedish curve is as predicted in their modelling, and for what they have prepared their medical care system for. The situation in the Netherlands is somewhat similar, with our biggest problem that intensive care patients turn out to need rather longer care in the intensive care unit (on average 23 days instead of 10 days) and that is a big burden on the system. I wonder how that has worked out elsewhere.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Dutch Public Health Institute says the re-infection rate has been dropping for the last two weeks, and is now probably below 1. No additional measures are necessary, but the current ones have to be and have been extended.
How do they reach that conclusion when the number of cases doubled in a week?

maty

Major Contributor
China cierra por completo el condado distrito de Jia ante el temor a una segunda ola de contagios por coronavirus
[Sànish] https://www.europapress.es/internac...ola-contagios-coronavirus-20200401174026.html

China Completely Closes Jia County Distrit Fearing Second Wave of Coronavirus Infections
https://translate.google.es/translate?sl=es&tl=en&u=https://www.europapress.es/internacional/noticia-china-cierra-completo-condado-jia-temor-segunda-ola-contagios-coronavirus-20200401174026.html

[ The Chinese province of Henan, which borders Hubei, where the coronavirus outbreak originated, which has already left more than 43,800 dead worldwide, has made the drastic decision on Wednesday to completely close Jia Distrit before the fear of a second wave of Covid-19 infections. The measures introduced in the area, where more than half a million inhabitants reside, include curfews, especially in the city of Pingdingshan, where mandatory quarantine has been imposed... ]

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
@maty ? Washing with detergent isn't enough, I thought

I've seen recommendations to bag and date 10 masks in sequence, the virus can't survive that long. This might also be a use for that sous vide languishing in the basement. Vacu-packed and held at 185F for a few hours destroys all pathogens AFAIK, this would assure the fabrics properties are not compromised.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
How do they reach that conclusion when the number of cases doubled in a week?

Because doubling in 2 days is when it gets ugly...

Doubling in a week is about a 10% daily growth rate, which means you aren't in that exponential growth situation. Much easier to spread it out and absorb into the health system without overstressing it.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because doubling in 2 days is when it gets ugly...

Doubling in a week is about a 10% daily growth rate, which means you aren't in that exponential growth situation. Much easier to spread it out and absorb into the health system without overstressing it.
But they said that the transmission rate was below 1, meaning negative growth. I don't see any evidence of that in the published data, so asking what supports that statement.

And by the way, +10%, period after period, is still exponential.

maty

Major Contributor

Habu

Hello from France,

It appears that in the title of this post, somebody could replace « china » by « world ».

Take care.

Habu

SemperUnum

Los grandes de la OTAN ignoran la petición de ayuda de España
[Spanish] https://www.elconfidencial.com/espa...noran-la-peticion-de-ayuda-de-espana_2529131/

NATO greats ignore Spain's request for help
https://translate.google.es/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.elconfidencial.com/espana/2020-04-01/los-grandes-de-la-otan-ignoran-la-peticion-de-ayuda-de-espana_2529131/

[ The request for support has been answered by the Czech Republic, Turkey and Latvia without traditional allies such as the United States or France having sent material for the moment... ]

Only 3 of the 29 countries.

As the Chinese saying that I have seen (TV) printed on one of the consignments says: in bad times you know true friends.
It's not NATO's job to help with this kind of healthcare cases. NATO better spend it's resources where they are the most effective: at it's military.

Also you can bet there are many civilians helping each other out between the countries, so you (Spain) are already receiving help from many other countries that never need to be named for some political gain.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello from France,

It appears that in the title of this post, somebody could replace « china » by « world ».

Take care.

Habu

The title reflects the situation at the time of its posting - January 26, 2020

Data as reported by WHO: 26 January 2020

Situation update:

• On 26 January 2020, the number of reported confirmed cases of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has increased by 694 cases since the last situation report published yesterday.

• A total of 2,014 confirmed 2019-nCoV cases have been reported globally.

• Of the 2,014 cases reported 1,985 cases were reported from China, including Hong Kong (5 confirmed cases), Macau (2 confirmed cases) and Taipei (3 confirmed cases).

• 29 confirmed cases have been reported outside of China in 10 countries. Of these 29 exported cases, 26 had a travel history from Wuhan City, China.

maty

Major Contributor
YouTube Resistiré 2020 - Video Oficial

Resistiré
Dúo Dinámico

Cuando pierda todas las partidas
Cuando duerma con la soledad
Cuando se me cierren las salidas
Y la noche no me deje en paz

Cuando sienta miedo del silencio
Cuando cueste mantenerme en pie
Cuando se rebelen los recuerdos