• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC - Going Stupid Cheap

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Atomic clocks and GPS just introduce more digititis. Future upgrades will allow linkages to analog clocks;

options:HMI1376_42_SatinBlack.jpg
This needs blu tack to eliminate pre ringing..

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK, just wasted more than an hour debugging why Windows would no longer recognize my Audio Precision analyzer :( Have to pack for trip tomorrow morning so here is quick data for you all to chew on :).

Test file is J-test run at 48 Khz sample rate. Comparison is between iFi iDAC 2 ($300) DAC against the $20 Fiio Taishan. Interface is USB on the computer to iFi DAC driving its internal DAC, or using its digital output to drive the FiiO externally. In other words the digital interface is the same for both.

upload_2017-1-3_20-56-46.png

As you see performance is fair bit worse on FiiO. Its noise floor is some 25 dB worse (notice that FiiO output is slightly lower than iFi). And it has two jitter sidebands that don't exist in iFi DAC (although the iFI has low frequency random noise around its main 12 Khz tone).

On the positive side it is not doing anything horribly wrong. At less than one tenth the price and less than a quarter in size and weight, it is doing pretty well.

USB power by the way is from an adapter that came with my USB microscope (i.e. some random Chinese design). iFi is self powered through my laptop.

This is preliminary/hurried measurement :). So don't run with it too much until I get back from CES....

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
OK, just wasted more than an hour debugging why Windows would no longer recognize my Audio Precision analyzer :( Have to pack for trip tomorrow morning so here is quick data for you all to chew on :).

Test file is J-test run at 48 Khz sample rate. Comparison is between iFi iDAC 2 ($300) DAC against the $20 Fiio Taishan. Interface is USB on the computer to iFi DAC driving its internal DAC, or using its digital output to drive the FiiO externally. In other words the digital interface is the same for both.

View attachment 4229

As you see performance is fair bit worse on FiiO. Its noise floor is some 25 dB worse (notice that FiiO output is slightly lower than iFi). And it has two jitter sidebands that don't exist in iFi DAC (although the iFI has low frequency random noise around its main 12 Khz tone).

On the positive side it is not doing anything horribly wrong. At less than one tenth the price and less than a quarter in size and weight, it is doing pretty well.

USB power by the way is from an adapter that came with my USB microscope (i.e. some random Chinese design). iFi is self powered through my laptop.

This is preliminary/hurried measurement :). So don't run with it too much until I get back from CES....

Thank you so much for doing this!

But I think perhaps something is wrong with the screenshot as I only see the iFi data?

EDIT: LOL...NVM..it's because it's nighttime and I'm running Flux, which filters out blue light, and of course the line is super blue...

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
While definitely inferior, it looks like the jitter of the cheap-as-hell Taishan is still below the audible threshold for jitter.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Okay, now that I've read the test:

Does anyone know what sample rate is usually used by the optical out of a 4k TV?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So given FiiO seems to be targeting the Taishan at TV scenarios, they seem to have goofed.
I think for general TV listening it is probably fine. But yes, as a general rule if I were to build something for TV use, I would optimize 48 Khz. Likely that is not general knowledge for people not in the video world.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think for general TV listening it is probably fine. But yes, as a general rule if I were to build something for TV use, I would optimize 48 Khz. Likely that is not general knowledge for people not in the video world.
I don't think it is a big secret that the video world is 48 khz. If you market something to the TV market it should have been based upon 48 khz if you are only doing one of them correctly.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I knew that, I'm a pretty low base mark for knowladge so...

Top Bottom