• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR Reference System: 200 wpc maximum performance

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I would keep it simple.

- RME Adi-2 DAC / Headphone Amp
or Topping DX7PRO DAC / Headphone Amp
- JBL 705p.

Nothing else really needed unless you wish to to add an active subwoofer.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I always suggest system building by starting with the speakers and working backwards. Find speakers you like or prefer or that have blown you away when you heard them. Then work backwards.

I think 200 wpc is wrong end of the stick. You can get 200 wpc on some speakers and they are only good for chamber music. If you had horns, what are you ever going to need 200 wpc for that wouldn't deafen you?

Speakers are most variable, most personal and most important. Without speakers that make you happy nothing else can fix that. And you really need cost constraints or you become too out of touch with reality. I could specify an Atmos system with all top of the line Revel speakers and all Benchmark or Mola Mola amps. The room for it and an acoustically transparent screen where we might as well throw in a good projector. There are some who could make that happen. Unfortunately I'm not one of them.

Find speakers you love, get amps that work with their needs, and the rest is easy. If your speakers are actives then easier still.

On the other end I'd likely go with a good DAC/preamp, and for any analog sources feed them to a pro converter like maybe the RME ADC, and feed the digital result to my DAC/pre. I've helped others who still roll reel tape or spin LP, and this is a good thing to do. You can optimize everything for minimum noise in the analog end this way.

So the proper approach to the whole exercise in my opinion would be start with speakers. I'm partial to full range electrostats myself. But they aren't for everyone.

OP
MediumRare

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I always suggest system building by starting with the speakers and working backwards. Find speakers you like or prefer or that have blown you away when you heard them. Then work backwards.

I think 200 wpc is wrong end of the stick. You can get 200 wpc on some speakers and they are only good for chamber music. If you had horns, what are you ever going to need 200 wpc for that wouldn't deafen you?

Speakers are most variable, most personal and most important. Without speakers that make you happy nothing else can fix that. And you really need cost constraints or you become too out of touch with reality. I could specify an Atmos system with all top of the line Revel speakers and all Benchmark or Mola Mola amps. The room for it and an acoustically transparent screen where we might as well throw in a good projector. There are some who could make that happen. Unfortunately I'm not one of them.

Find speakers you love, get amps that work with their needs, and the rest is easy. If your speakers are actives then easier still.

On the other end I'd likely go with a good DAC/preamp, and for any analog sources feed them to a pro converter like maybe the RME ADC, and feed the digital result to my DAC/pre. I've helped others who still roll reel tape or spin LP, and this is a good thing to do. You can optimize everything for minimum noise in the analog end this way.

So the proper approach to the whole exercise in my opinion would be start with speakers. I'm partial to full range electrostats myself. But they aren't for everyone.
Definitely good advice.

I’m just trying to have a little fun adapting the whole of ASRs review base to some “demo” system lists.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Quite a few of us don't need any analogue inputs. Why no speakers? Are we electronics obsessed?

OP
MediumRare

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quite a few of us don't need any analogue inputs. Why no speakers? Are we electronics obsessed?
The idea here is to use ASR's review base to assemble some example Reference quality kit lists meeting certain criteria. Certainly, they're not the only criteria nor the "best" criteria. Just the first set. I'd love to see other threads for different criteria.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Excuse me, but what's the point of calculating/adding max power ratings of a multiway active speaker's amp channels?

Last edited:

Olli

Forum Donor
Mini DSP SHD
March P252
2 Rythmik F8
2 Revel or KEF Bookshelf speakers on top of the subs

Last edited:
OP
MediumRare

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mini DSP SHD
2 Rythmik F8
2 Revel or KEF Bookshelf speakers on top of the subs
Sorry, not following. How does this meet the criteria for the Maximum Performance ASR Reference System 200 wpc?

OP
MediumRare

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
true, forgot the amp. E.g. March P252!
That's better, but it isn't powerful enough, I'm afraid: 8 ohms - 150 W rms

This Reference System needs 2 channels at minimum 200 watts each into 8 ohms. Do you want to bridge it and then include two? Maybe upgrade to the higher power March stereo amp? Could be a winner! Please post your complete Reference setup.

Last edited:

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
Aye, for 8 ohms I’d need two. So 7-8K for electronics.

I should add that while I’ve listed a system (sans transducers) that totals over 7K, I’m pretty sure an audibly transparent system could be had for much, much less, probably for even less than 1/3rd of that amount.

Put another way, I personally would pay ~8K with value breakdown of:

35% - Knowing, with absolute confidence, that I have a transparent system which wrings every bit of performance out of my headphones/speakers

35% - Usability, nice-to-have creature comforts, support, build quality, etc

And if I’m being honest with myself, 30% for the aesthetics, brand bling, and overall “audiophile credentials” SOTA gear imparts.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Wow, these are some pretty interesting Maximum Performance systems. @amirm , @Blumlein 88 , @DonH56 @Sal1950 you got some other ideas?

Just a basic surround, haven't figured out the Atmos arrangement yet. LOL
May even use 2 more M2's for the surrounds?
Mega ball lotto time. ;)

Mark Levinson 532H Amplifiers X 5

JBL Professional M2 Speakers (Left & Right)

JBL Synthesis SK2-3300 (Center Speaker)

JBL Synthesis 4367 X 2 Surround Speakers

JBL Synthesis SDP-45 Surround Processor

JBL Synthesis SDEC-4500P

JBL Synthesis SDEC-4500X

JBL Synthesis Interconnect Kit for SDEC-4500

JBL Synthesis 1500 Array Subs (4)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a basic surround, haven't figured out the Atmos arrangement yet. LOL
May even use 2 more M2's for the surrounds?
Mega ball lotto time. ;)

Mark Levinson 532H Amplifiers X 5

JBL Professional M2 Speakers (Left & Right)

JBL Synthesis SK2-3300 (Center Speaker)

JBL Synthesis 4367 X 2 Surround Speakers

JBL Synthesis SDP-45 Surround Processor

JBL Synthesis SDEC-4500P

JBL Synthesis SDEC-4500X

JBL Synthesis Interconnect Kit for SDEC-4500

JBL Synthesis 1500 Array Subs (4)
Too few subs Sal. You need one of those send and cancel arrays. To do it right you'll need 4 at the front of the room and 4 more at the rear. Oh, and I think you'll need a new room. :)

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi
Due to constraints , I am all over the map ...

If I had the space, I would go with the Linkwitz 512.4 ... I like the thinking behind it. Many here consider it an endgame speaker system ...
I would go

Okto DAC8
DIY 8-channel amp with Hypex 200 wpc module
Done

I am on a search for a Geddes speaker, the no longer manufactured New Abbey, but the drivers are still in production... B&C drivers. If I find it the speaker pair, then ...
Okto DAC8
Diy 2-Channel Amp with PuriFi or Hypex Module 500 wpc...

If I don't find the Geddes or am not satisfy with the Linkwitz, then Revel Ultima 8 with
Okto DAC8
Diy 2-Channel Amp with PuriFi or Hypex Module 500 wpc...

Except for the Linkwitz , any speaker I get, will be helped with a trio of powered subwoofers...

The end

Nice one @FrantzM!

You've pretty much described my system here.....instead of the Okto Dac8 I use a Mytek 8x192ADDA - a 14 year old design and not particularly attractive either, but it does have 4 analogue inputs. I do have an OktoDac8 on order so it will be interesting to see how it fares compared to the Mytek. I might not be able to hear any difference, but it will look nicer!

My LX521.4s are driven by an Apollon NC8350 - way more power than is actually needed, so that criteria is met.

Endgame indeed for me! Except.....I've just built some LXmini's...couldn't resist! :D

murraycamp

Forum Donor
The goal for my system (part of the way there) is:

Chromecast Audio (Qobuz) optical out/CD transport into my Mini DSP SHD (pre/DAC/DSP) into a Purifi 1ET400 based amp (not yet purchased) feeding (used) Revel f208 or f228be speakers (not yet purchased). Once I get those last 2 pieces in place I am done for high resolution as I will have a strong confidence level that the signal chain is audibly transparent.

Then I can work on final speaker placement/ dialing in Dirac, and play with my compressed, noisy, and fun vinyl chain. As to the latter, 90% of my vinyl playback is jazz recorded between 1953 -1968 (and most of that live using 1950's to 1960's era transportable recording equipment) so I am not really that concerned with "high fidelity" in that sense. And, at least I know that whatever my phono preamp is putting out, the rest of my system will play it free of coloration or other distortion.

Price + approx. $5k-8k (largely depending on speaker selection and excluding vinyl playback system).

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

DubbyMcDubs

- MiniDSP SHD (Optional)
- MATRIX X-SABRE Pro MQA DAC
- Benchmark HPA4
- Two Benchmark AHB2 bridged

Top Bottom