• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ELI5: What gets better with a "better" system? (or is the question wrong?)

StefanSweden

Yesterday I read a post by /u/iNetRunner, here is the post https://www.reddit.com/r/StereoAdvice/comments/12400wc/_/jdzlilx
This made me question if my expectations if an upgrade was off. I hope this thread could spark a general discussion, but I use my own setup as an contextual example.

I have a Powernode Edge (2x40w in 8 ohms) that powers a pair of Dali Oberon 1 (Sensitivity (2.83V/1m, 86 dB) and a SVS SB-1000 Pro. For context the mains highpassed and the sub lowpassed crossover set at 80hz. Not yet messured with UMIK-1. My livingroom is 35 square meter/376 square feet. Using the SPL calculator I get a maximum SPL of 98 db at 3m/7 feet. Rarley do I play that loud, more like 70-80 db.

But since the upgrade bug itch and reminds me of my old Infinity Kappa 90 I had a good 20 years ago while living in my parterns house I wonder what I realisticly would gain if I were to upgrade my system? Lets make an upgrade example.

Lets say I buy an Yamaha A-S1200 (2x160w in 4 ohms) and a pair of Arendal 1961 towers (Sensitivity (2.83V/1m, 86 dB). Doing the same SPL calculation as above it gets me a maximum SPL of 105 db at 3m/7 feet?! That would be a much more expensive setup with little gain in terms of SPL? The Powernode Edge and Oberon 1 costed me aroudn 1200$ but the upgrade example would cost around 4200$.

Im I missing something crucial here? Im a calculationg wrong? Is this Paretos law in effect? What are we gaining with a "objectivley better" system? Genuinley trying to understand, but as a rank beginner I have a hard time to understand :)

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
98dB to 105dB is a noticeable increase in sound level. This is a log scale.

nerdstrike

Power notwithstanding, the other axes of improvement for the listener are frequency response, distortion at volume, and maximum power handling ability. If you don't crave high volume, then the frequency response and distortion characteristics are more important than power, because the music can sound better at the same volume if there are major flaws in these areas.

Naturally spending more money does not guarantee an improvement in any direction. ASR exists for this reason!

juliusskinner

I get the itch too, but it's important to balance the cost and the actual improvement you'd notice. If you're not cranking it to max all the time, the SPL bump might not be a game-changer. Plus, everyone's ears and preferences are different. Maybe consider a demo if possible to really hear the diff.

Top Bottom