• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade from a 58X?

primordial

I'm looking to buy open-back headphones that are clear upgrade from the 58X Jubilees. My budget is roughly $350, though I have some flexibility.

This question was discussed a little, regarding the 6XX, in a previous thread (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...g-from-my-hd58x-hd6xx-or-something-else.7392/) but it went on a tangent and I found no good answer (except that the 6XX probably does not count as a "clear upgrade"). So I thought I would start a more focused one here.

I have a JDS Atom amp, so high impedance is not an issue. Also, I make an effort to EQ to the Harmon curve using AutoEQ (https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq). So I am not looking for a particular sound signature (which would just get EQ'd away anyway), but rather better detail and so on.

Thanks in advance for your help!

("Such a headphone does not exist at this price range" is a perfectly acceptable answer...)

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Depends on what you think you want over and above your 58X you have now.

At the limits of the US$350 budget would include the Hifiman Sundara and the Verum. Both are generally well received open planars and the Atom does play well with planars as they do with my HE4XX (as on my avatar pict).

Some of the Beyer and AKG phones will fall into that bracket on sale. However, its completely subjective since each of us respond to headphones differently.

OP
P

primordial

Thanks. I've heard the drivers on the Sundara are prone to breaking, so I'm a little wary of them. (There are many horror stories on reddit.) The Verum's look like a fun option, though.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The HD58X is a nice headphone (using the HD58X right now).
Is there anything you feel the HD58X is lacking?
Or is there something you can articulate to what you want to improve?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
In the $ 350.- range there are some side-grades.

When you want an open headphone you can look for a DT1990 and EQ-away the treble peak.
You would have to look for a bargain though or second hand to get it for this low a price.
This will give you better subbass extension and more detail/upper treble/air.
The brand is as reliable as Sennheiser and keeps parts available for quite sometime.

Don't expect a revelation or shockingly great improvements, for this you need to go higher.
Have no experience with the Verum 1 but seems a good headphone.
There are some child-diseases with them though.

OP
P

primordial

In the $ 350.- range there are some side-grades.

When you want an open headphone you can look for a DT1990 and EQ-away the treble peak.
You would have to look for a bargain though or second hand to get it for this low a price.
This will give you better subbass extension and more detail/upper treble/air.
The brand is as reliable as Sennheiser and keeps parts available for quite sometime.

Don't expect a revelation or shockingly great improvements, for this you need to go higher.

Two questions: Is the DT1990 really a "sidegrade"? And how much higher would I have to go for a clear improvement?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also think that it depends on what you would like in terms of an upgrade. The Beyerdynamic feels a lot more premium with its metal construction and good accessories, very comfortable too. Comfort is such a personal thing that the opinion of others is probably meaningless but I find that Beyerdynamic and the AKG K7 family to be much more comfortable than Sennheiser.
At $350 there is no shortage of excellent headphones, especially if you consider selling price rather than SRP. The Audio Technica ATH R70x is very good, as is the AKG K712. Whether any of the alternatives would be a real step up in SQ is debatable though. I think that there needs to be a bit of expectation management. Reviewers peddle the idea of night and day differences and wondrous improvements but in reality you already have a good pair of headphones.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Two questions: Is the DT1990 really a "sidegrade"? And how much higher would I have to go for a clear improvement?

The DT1990 is well over $350. I mentioned it because it is not a true sidegrade but an upgrade in some aspects. They are not comparable.

The second question is how high does one need to go for an upgrade is very hard to answer. I would say the HD800 (easily found second hand) to me is a real upgrade (with EQ) but so are some other headphones in a similar price range.
The Focal Clear also is an upgrade.
Not all expensive headphones are upgrades. Add to this that some feel the HD650 is the pinnacle of headphones and say all other headphones are downgrades.
It is impossible for me to say this or that is 'better' in an absolute sense. Better to whom and in what aspects ? What aspects matter more to you ?

Crappy recordings on excellent headphones can sound more crappy than on 'forgiving' headphones.
Some prefer excessive warmth, others hate bass extension...

All I can say is which headphones I prefer. The HD800, Clear, DT1990, HE6, Susvara, K812 are upgrades to me but heard other headphones that would be upgrades as well. The AEON flow closed or Ether for instance are upgrades to me as well but there are plenty of folks that don't like it at all.

Baphomet

Maybe you can look at something that is not necessarily an upgrade, but "different". For example, Modhouse Argons would be a nice complement to 58X.

raif71

Major Contributor
I'm looking to buy open-back headphones that are clear upgrade from the 58X Jubilees. My budget is roughly $350, though I have some flexibility.

This question was discussed a little, regarding the 6XX, in a previous thread (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...g-from-my-hd58x-hd6xx-or-something-else.7392/) but it went on a tangent and I found no good answer (except that the 6XX probably does not count as a "clear upgrade"). So I thought I would start a more focused one here.

I have a JDS Atom amp, so high impedance is not an issue. Also, I make an effort to EQ to the Harmon curve using AutoEQ (https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq). So I am not looking for a particular sound signature (which would just get EQ'd away anyway), but rather better detail and so on.

Thanks in advance for your help!

("Such a headphone does not exist at this price range" is a perfectly acceptable answer...)

I was in the same situation as you. I was using Sony HearOn MDR-100A a few years back. 3rd quarter of last year, I upgraded that to Sony 1am2. Boy, I was so happy with the sound of the 1am2. However, this year I upgraded that with Senns 660s. I had demoed 650 and 660s but I couldn't really tell the difference. I was kind of leaning towards 660s due to the added balanced cable but it was still expensive than 650. An opportunity arose in the form of a discount for the 660s and I took a chance and bought it. I'm currently using the 660s with Fiio q5s and K5 Pro and to me they are a good match. I still use 1am2 from time to time just for the change but my main hp is 660s. Good luck on your hp quest.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The HD650 and HD660s are superb headphones. Often popularity and the approbation of hifi reviewers doesn't mean much but in the case of the HD580, HD600, HD650 and HD660s these models really do deserve their glowing reputation I think. Personally I'd go for the 650 over the 660, not because of anything bad about the 660 but the sound is so similar to my ears and the construction is pretty much the same so I think the 650 offers better value. That said, I've kept my HD580's and never upgraded to the newer models as I still like the 580 and have never felt a need to step up to the newer models.

Something I find telling is how durable they are. For the price the Sennheiser's feel low rent to me, but for all that they feel low rent they're very tough and durable and can take a lot of mistreatment. In that sense I'd rate them above a lot of much more premium feeling models. I change the pads on my 580's but otherwise I've done nothing to them, I've not been especially easy on them and they've been dropped and worse and aftr 25 years or so they still work and show remarkably little sign of wear.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Maybe if you wait and save you can increase your budget. And, considering that I recently stated that marginal gains above $300 aren't worth much, there's still an exception to every rule. Such as the Massdrop X Koss ESP 95X Electrostatic headphone system. A nice gift from No. 1 to No. 1 for the holidays.

Svperstar

If you want to find out how the original HD580 sounded you can track those down on ebay for a lot less then $350. They are the same driver and basically the same headphone as the HD600. Plenty of people prefer the HD580/600 over the 650 and think it is the pinnacle of Sennheiser sound.

IMO they are a superior headphone to the HD58X. I own both. You might find it to be a waste of money to buy such similar headphones. YMMV.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe you can look at something that is not necessarily an upgrade, but "different". For example, Modhouse Argons would be a nice complement to 58X.

I agree, I have AKG K712Pro's and I'd like something else different (not necessarily better, I really like the K712's). The HE4XX are top of my list right now. I also quite fancy this Philips Fidelio X2HR which are available on Amazon UK for under £110 right and seem like a ridiculous bargain...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-X2HR-Resolution-Headphones-Isolation-Black/dp/B01N5VHLUG

OP
P

primordial

I suppose I should clarify that I'm going to EQ the new headphones to roughly the same frequency response curve I have the 58X set to. So I'd be looking for differences independent simply of FR.

In this respect trying a planar magnetic set like the Verum One seems like an decent option.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
I suppose I should clarify that I'm going to EQ the new headphones to roughly the same frequency response curve I have the 58X set to. So I'd be looking for differences independent simply of FR.

In this respect trying a planar magnetic set like the Verum One seems like an decent option.

Those headphones, the Verum One, are listed as having an 8 ohm impedance. Will the JDS Atom handle that?

OP
P

primordial

I am not sure. Other planar magnetics are possible. I have no particular attachment to those.

I'm just thinking about what else would be different in a new pair besides the FR.

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
I’m also kind of in the same boat and have HD650s and looking to upgrade... I’m interested in trying out planar magnetic phones, looking at:

1. Aeon flow (closed or open)
2. hifiman sundara
3. audeze lcd2

want to keep budget < 1000 USD.

im thinking I need to hit up canjam to try all these out...

VMAT4

Forum Donor
8 ohms is a very low impedance for a set of headphones. I'd consider other planar magnetics. I guess you ruled out the Massdrop X HiFiMan Edition XX?

Top Bottom