• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the best passive (and preferably floorstanding) speaker one can find for $2,500 or less?

Aprude51

I noticed there was some discussion of Monitor Audio towers earlier in the thread. I'd previously done some research on the Silver 200s, and found that their measurements were meaningfully improved over previous Monitor Speakers. In particular they appear to have improved integration between tweeter & woofer.

Given these measurements, and presumably good build quality I think they might be a decent option at $1500 for a pair.

Listening Window Measurements from SoundStage
Monitor Audio Silver 200 - Listening Window.png

Last edited:

Daverz

Major Contributor
I noticed there was some discussion of Monitor Audio towers earlier in the thread. I'd previously done some research on the Silver 200s, and found that their measurements were meaningfully improved over previous Monitor Speakers. In particular they appear to have improved integration between tweeter & woofer.

Given these measurements, and presumably good build quality I think they might be a decent option at $1500 for a pair.

View attachment 27195

I haven't heard Monitor Audio speaker for about 10 years. Back then, I found they had a "glassy" sound to massed violins that -- their other considerable virtues aside -- put me off. I love to hear these newer models with the smoother frequency response.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
3-4 years ago, I compared several speakers from 2500€ to 10000€ a pair.
B&W, Kef, PMC, Dali, Triangle, Focal, ...
I ended up with the cheapest of all: a pair of Focal Aria 948.
You could probably find a used pair around 2500$.
Give it a try.

I also have a pair of Genelec 1032A that I got used for less than that money.
An awesone pair of active speakers.
They look a bit Raw, though.

This was obviously MY definition of 'best', related to the set I was able to listen to.
I didn't measure any (although I now use Dirac on the Focal).

Last edited:

vin63

Another French speaker manufacture is Triangle. I have the Triangle Antal EZ, which after much speaker shopping is the one i took home.
Beautiful mid-range, not a party speaker. Bass needs a little help with a subwoofer. But very dynamic, fast and clean sounding speaker.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another French speaker manufacture is Triangle. I have the Triangle Antal EZ, which after much speaker shopping is the one i took home.
Beautiful mid-range, not a party speaker. Bass needs a little help with a subwoofer. But very dynamic, fast and clean sounding speaker.
The other pre-selected candidate for me was a Triangle delta, indeed. Much more detailed in treble. But I did prefer Focal medium... and price!
Got the 948 pair for less than $2000 new, from renowned shop.
On top of it, they are beautiful.
And I like the LS50... in the small room where we're watching TV. But the big Focal, with proper amp, is much more adequate in a bigger room, IMHO.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
If you can find them, think about the Yamaha NS-F700. Otherwise, I'm pretty partial to Dali.

Also, obligatory note about passive speakers in 2019 being like two wheel drive in rally cars.

Krunok

Major Contributor

View attachment 27195

This recommendation makes sense to me as it is based on objective measurements. Most of the other recommendations are however purely subjective without any objectively relevant criteria.. :facepalm:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This recommendation makes sense to me as it is based on objective measurements. Most of the other recommendations are however purely subjective without any objectively relevant criteria.. :facepalm:

Technically this thread was solved by the 2nd post :p - the relative bought the F206. But every so often somebody comes by and recommends some random product for some reason. Usually without even linking to any measurements or even basic information about why it would be worth considering. And most of them are likely worse than the F206.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Technically this thread was solved by the 2nd post :p - the relative bought the F206. But every so often somebody comes by and recommends some random product for some reason. Usually without even linking to any measurements or even basic information about why it would be worth considering. And most of them are likely worse than the F206.

For what is worth, if I would be buying speaker in that price range it would definitely also be F206. :)

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wish I could get a chance to audition dutch and dutch 8c but that does not seem possible unless a kind member in the area would let me come take a listen. I have a feeling there isn't any since most owners would be using them for work, not personal use in their private homes.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
A relative of mine wants to drop around US$2,500 or less on a pair of passive loudspeakers. Floorstanders are strongly preferred. The speakers will be powered by either a higher-end Marantz AV receiver or an uncharacteristically reliable NAD C370 (formerly owned by me). The relative intends to use the speakers to listen to many genres of music and TV/movie sound at a distance of approximately 15 feet from the loudspeakers. (No, the Dutch & Dutch 8Cs, Kii Threes and various low-priced JBL and Kali Audio monitors are not good options for this use case.)

The relative is currently eyeing a lightly used pair of Revel Performa F206s on Audiogon. I'm concerned about the load these will put on the partnering amplifier, especially in light of the listening distance:

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

If any of you have suggestions or recommendations, or if you think the Revel F206s may be my relative's best bet, I'd be grateful as always for your thoughts.

Did you already check this place?

1565025500148.png

Top Bottom