• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

What's the best passive (and preferably floorstanding) speaker one can find for $2,500 or less?

I can recommend a couple of floorstanders both from the Q Acoustics stable, my current main speakers the Concept 40s which I’ve had for the last 6 months and the ones I had previously the 3050’s, which would suit depends on your room size, the 3050’s are more suited to larger rooms, in my 12’x13’ living room they had a little too much bass for my liking, the Concept 40s are perfect for my room but at a higher price point. Both are very sensitive (90-92dbw) and easy to drive, mine are gloss white and look stunning.
15BEE50A-BE85-423B-BA63-EAD8C646CA97.jpeg
BC9CFFFB-23AC-4C10-86C3-4339E2ABA70D.jpeg

Last edited:

daftcombo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Patreon Donor
I can recommend a couple of floorstanders both from the Q Acoustics stable, my current main speakers the Concept 40s which I’ve had for the last 6 months and the ones I had previously the 3050’s, which would suit depends on your room size, the 3050’s are more suited to larger rooms, in my 12’x13’ living room they had a little too much bass for my liking, the Concept 40s are perfect for my room but at a higher price point. Both are very sensitive (90-92dbw) and easy to drive, mine are gloss white and look stunning. View attachment 25353
Nice setup, but (and I'll be out of the subject here) if I had a TV with a sunny bow-window behind just like that, I couldn't watch a program more than one minute before getting a headache. That kind of setup is terrible for the eyes (unless you close the curtains of course).

Nice setup, but (and I'll be out of the subject here) if I had a TV with a sunny bow-window behind just like that, I couldn't watch a program more than one minute before getting a headache. That kind of setup is terrible for the eyes (unless you close the curtains of course).
I don’t find it a problem generally, tbh I normally only watch TV after 6pm when the sun is out of sight of the bay window, use it mainly as a monitor for my MacMini to access my iTunes library, my main digital music source.

daftcombo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Patreon Donor
I don’t find it a problem generally, tbh I normally only watch TV after 6pm when the sun is out of sight of the bay window, use it mainly as a monitor for my MacMini to access my iTunes library, my main digital music source.
Good for you. It must really depend on people.

It took me two years to understand why I had headaches almost everyday. I went to the doctor, took different kinds of medecine which did nothing except give bad side-effects.
One day I changed the place of my screen, and put it 90 degrees with the window.
Never had headaches anymore.
It's been 12 years now.

Good for you. It must really depend on people.

It took me two years to understand why I had headaches almost everyday. I went to the doctor, took different kinds of medecine which did nothing except give bad side-effects.
One day I changed the place of my screen, and put it 90 degrees with the window.
Never had headaches anymore.
It's been 12 years now.
Main reason why the TV is where it is, is I use my hifi for movies as well as music, plus the room layout would make it very difficult to have it in a different position. Both the Concept 40 and 3050’s are both excellent with movies.

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

For that money the answer is Kef and many others. Revel sacrifice the sound for a very good linearity.

If used speakers are acceptable, many of the large Dunlavy SC series should fit the budget. I bought a pair of SC-Vs a few years ago for $2500 after some negotiating. They are full-range by anyone's definition, flat to +/- 1.5dB anechoic and pair matched to be within .5 dB at 10' on the tweeter axis -- and they image like nothing else I have ever heard. I would have loved to hear what John Dunlavy could have built with modern dsp had he and his company survived another decade or so.

Daverz

If used speakers are acceptable, many of the large Dunlavy SC series should fit the budget. I bought a pair of SC-Vs a few years ago for $2500 after some negotiating. They are full-range by anyone's definition, flat to +/- 1.5dB anechoic and pair matched to be within .5 dB at 10' on the tweeter axis -- and they image like nothing else I have ever heard. I would have loved to hear what John Dunlavy could have built with modern dsp had he and his company survived another decade or so.
Duntech in Australia and Lipinski in the US are still making speakers based on his engineering principles.

http://lipinskisound.com/
http://duntech.com

I still have a pair of SC-IIIs.

Duntech in Australia and Lipinski in the US are still making speakers based on his engineering principles.

http://lipinskisound.com/
http://duntech.com

I still have a pair of SC-IIIs.
I have 2 pair of SC-llls as surrounds -- wonderful speakers!

Here is a link to an article by Dunlavy written for Widescreen Review and published posthumously. I think many on this site will appreciate John's scientific approach.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?attachments/dunlavy-wsr-article-2-pdf.926465/

You may need AK credentials to view it.

Top Bottom