• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fewer

D

Deleted member 21219

is it a dead word? I rarely see it being used and often hear/see 'less' where fewer would be correct.

No, it's not a dead word. Many languages have, in recorded history, undergone a process of vocabulary constriction. It's a natural process that emphasizes convenience at the cost of semantic depth. It's happening now, and it will continue to happen.

Jim

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fewer people are using it.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
No, it's not a dead word. Many languages have, in recorded history, undergone a process of vocabulary constriction. It's a natural process that emphasizes convenience at the cost of semantic depth. It's happening now, and it will continue to happen
So dying, if not dead?

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
Supermarket check-outs all get it wrong; it's nine items or fewer.
Is this a vicious circle (cycle?), in that fewer might be understood by fewer people, so less is used instead, but we fast approach the point where a significant proportion (a majority?) aren't even aware of the difference.

D

Deleted member 21219

So dying, if not dead?

Most probably. Think of it in terms of born vs. borne, or the correct use of the apostrophe. (There's one that's dead!) You may have heard the maxim that language is always evolving. I would prefer to say that language is always changing, but not necessarily evolving.

In my view, it's the law of the lowest common denominator ... unfortunately.

Jim

ta240

Major Contributor
One of my pet peeves - less when fewer should apply. Supermarket check-outs all get it wrong; it's nine items or fewer.
Less is fewer letters so it fits better :)

These are the same store that makes signs with things in quotes like: "Fresh" Bread, thinking that gives emphasis to the word fresh.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor

JPA

Forum Donor
Uh oh. You're in danger of unleashing my inner grammar Kraken. My current pet peeve is the way "get" has taken the place of "become", "receive", "achieve" and probably 10 other words. In the future the English language will consist of only one word -- get -- at least in the US. The UK still seems to have some respect for their language.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Uh oh. You're in danger of unleashing my inner grammar Kraken. My current pet peeve is the way "get" has taken the place of "become", "receive", "achieve" and probably 10 other words. In the future the English language will consist of only one word -- get -- at least in the US. The UK still seems to have some respect for their language.

Don’t get your knickers in a twist. Get with the program or get out. Otherwise you may get what’s coming to you. Got it?

ivayvr

I believe that spell checkers also have something to do with changes and reducing literacy. I am an ESL speaker and I keep noticing how often "there" and "their" are used interchangeably . Not directly related to the "less" or "fewer" but part of the process....

staticV3

Master Contributor
seems to be past its prime:
Screenshot_20240111-001057_Chrome.png

AudiOhm

A lot of things have changed.

In Track and Field you commonly hear, 9.58s as 9 point fifty-eight seconds.
I grew up with this pronunciation, 9.58 as 9 point five eight seconds...

Ohms

MRC01

Major Contributor
My grammar teacher said if you can count' em, then it's "fewer". Fewer fish but less water. Or when it comes to amps, fewer knobs but less power.
Another pet peeve of mine is who vs. whom. It seems people haven't been learning about grammatical case for the past few decades.
Yet my latest annoyance is people saying they are "humbled" when receiving an award. That means nearly the opposite of what they think. For example when someone says he is "humbled" to be invited to present at a conference, it implies he was expecting something greater, perhaps to give the keynote.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As the dyslexic guy, the further we go this topic the farther I will stay away. Unwatching now. Spellcheck doesn't like unwatch. :)

Top Bottom