• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OK, what are you guys buying yourselves for Christmas?

Multicore

Major Contributor
Out of interest, because I wanted to know what it was actually about, I googled it and saw the price. In the end, it's probably more about the sound of these guitars. Isn't it?
That's top priority for me. But the big factors also include play-ability, quality of construction, finish and adjustment, visual appearance. Sound quality is a very complex subtle thing because good acoustic guitars respond to small variations in how you play them. This makes the instrument potentially very expressive.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Picked up an Ortofon 2M Black on sale. Planning to take measurements on it after installation and alignment.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
Two years ago, I worked at our local children's hospital. I helped care for a very special little boy who was very sick due to a premature birth. I also met his little sister and the mother. (His father is out of the picture, that's another story). Thanks to God and some excellent doctoring, he made it. He was able to go home. I still keep in contact with the mother via facebook, but I haven't seen any of them lately, in person. I'm afraid they don't have any money to speak of. Well, anyway, this year I'm buying him a HessToyTruck and his sister a Barbie and young miss makeup kit. With the money left over, I think this old guy is gonna get a Topping D10 Balanced and a pair of BJ speaker cables 2m.

To everyone : Merry Christmas and God Bless. Please, never take your children for granted.

Canuck57

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hopefully, a pair of Wharfedale Lintons. My fingers itch....

I just bought used pair of Warfedale Lintons in immaculate condition with the stands, loving them. Not that I needed another pair of speakers. I think I will get the WiiM amp when it's available in Canada, hopefully in January. I will consult with Restorer John as to explaining the purchase to my wife!

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Mood picture of the season (for our geolocation) from the net.

wide__1000x562__desktop__scale_2

Svet Angelov

I just bought used pair of Warfedale Lintons in immaculate condition with the stands, loving them. Not that I needed another pair of speakers. I think I will get the WiiM amp when it's available in Canada, hopefully in January. I will consult with Restorer John as to explaining the purchase to my wife!
Congratulations! I hope they keep your ears happy for many years to come. Wiim are definitely killing it recently - thinking of also selling my Mini in favor of the Pro Plus when I get the Amazon Christmas voucher from my employer. I may call it a new-years present..yeah that will work :)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, they are in good company if your signature is any indication.
I love mine very much, sold my previous pair of ATC SCM19v2 because they didn't spark joy anymore.

Last edited:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bit early did treath me an the wife in november to a Daikin airco to get rid of the yearly gas bill using spare 1500 kwh of netting electricity efficiently.

Last edited:
OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Bit early did treath me an the wife in november to a Daikin airco to get rid of the yearly gas bill using spare 1500 kwh of netting electricity efficiently.

Our Daikins only finally died last year after 20 years. Pretty amazing life for split systems and they were only killed by creatures getting into the control electronics and/or fan bearings giving out on the fan units which are outside. Even then, Daikin said they had parts and those parts were quite reasonable. A good brand.

We're probably going to duct the house for A/C as it's a full truss roof with plenty of room.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Our Daikins only finally died last year after 20 years. Pretty amazing life for split systems and they were only killed by creatures getting into the control electronics and/or fan bearings giving out on the fan units which are outside. Even then, Daikin said they had parts and those parts were quite reasonable. A good brand.

We're probably going to duct the house for A/C as it's a full truss roof with plenty of room.
Got 10 years warrenty going to use it mostly for heathing. In Australia probably for cooling i guess. This inverter technology developt quite efficiënt over the years got with +2 celcius still COP 4,59.

Attachments

• test.pdf
    283 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@restorer-john + @Snarfie; Aren't those "Ductless mini/multi splits" the way to go nowadays?
We toy with that idea, but our local temps (winter/summer) only vary between 48F and 84F: We use the house heater maybe a dozen days.
I know, I know >> OT.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I find that line "You are hard to get presents for!" to be a very weak [near lame] excuse!
If you give me a 'gift card' [rude], I'll use it to purchase something for you, but NOT as a gift.:mad:

Selecting a unique gift needs some forethought but it isn't rocket-science.
Only taking into account the individual's *Wants and *Needs becomes shortsighted; if the gift will not create heartfelt memories.

I have come to the realization that I enjoy giving more than getting. ;)
But there are limits:
*I will not gift "junque" (cheap/crap/pos/useless) products.
*I will not gift you a food-blender, if you are an omnivore!
*All my gifts have to include the product's 'support' material, so that you don't have to absorb the incidental$.
*Thus, I try to not to give battery-operated gifts, or - for example - an Espresso machine, since I would have to also buy the beans as incidental$.:confused:
ymmv

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@restorer-john + @Snarfie; Aren't those "Ductless mini/multi splits" the way to go nowadays?
I know, I know >> OT.
Gas price are that high these days in Holland heathing with a latest Heath pump or airco is the way to go if you house is isolated efficiëntly. If i Heath with gas i get for 1 Kubic meter (1,60 euro) 9kwh heathing back. 1kwh electricity cost 0,40 euro. So for 1,60 i buy 4 kwh electricity multiply that with cop 5 you get 20kwh heathing back. So more than 50% cheaper than 1 Kubic meter of gas. Depending what you want to Heath lots of people go for these solutions.

Last edited:
Reactions: CMB
D

Deleted member 21219

A word to the wise: insulate the attic ducts several times over what the recommendations are. Personally, I would fabricate square duct-covers from two layers of 2" polysocyanurate foam board ... that's 4" of insulation. Temps in an attic area can get unbelievably hot during A/C season.
You will also need to inspect the installation yearly, for vermin as well as insects. Critters can be resourceful.

Good luck!

Jim

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'm perusing the Want-Ads...

Something like this would be a nice upgrade from what I fly now...

1701465177712.png

Won't be for Christmas, itself, as I consider everyday here is Christmas, or a Holiday of
choice, so every day is my Birthday, being retired and having some funds I'm unlikely to
ever spend unless I try real hard.

Whoa, here I am in my "intermediate trainer"... Schweizer SGS 1-35C.

I like it for what it is, but it won't go forward very quickly without also going down fast.

1701468870255.png

I have kept it up for over five hours before, though, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Last edited:
OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
A word to the wise: insulate the attic ducts several times over what the recommendations are. Personally, I would fabricate square duct-covers from two layers of 2" polysocyanurate foam board ... that's 4" of insulation. Temps in an attic area can get unbelievably hot during A/C season.
You will also need to inspect the installation yearly, for vermin as well as insects. Critters can be resourceful.

Very good advice, thanks. I hadn't really considered the enormous losses between the chiller unit and the outlets caused by all that heat. Our roof space reaches incredibly high temperatures in summer- metal roof and it's dark green in colour (brilliant huh?).

Top Bottom