• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TANCHJIM Space Portable Headphone Adapter Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 34 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 86.5%

• Total voters

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Appreciate it, but I'm too ignorant to make any sense of this, I'd just like to be told what filter's the best.
Pick the fast one and be happy. Pretty sure one of the 2 fast options is the default and will be what the measurements show. Even when amir tests the filters in dacs he rarely listens or picks one. He like most people would choose the one that attenuates fullest and steepest after 20khz (fast )

Without good ears and playback equipment and content with lots of treble picking between any will likely be moot.

MrSoul4470

I'm using iOS devices and the app is pure garbage, can't even detect the space dongle. Waiting for update..
Seriously, the app is pure garbage on Android too. I have no idea how someone can recommend installing it.

jcadduono

I just got mine the other day and have played around with a bit. Updated the FW and checked out the app.
I played around with the channel balance feature and while I have never used something like that before, it made me very confused!
I thought I had my cable connections reversed, as moving channel balance slider to the right moves audio to the left channel, and vice-versa. Completely the opposite of how I would have expected a slider to work. ><
Also, the volume control curve is a nightmare, 80% of the listenable volume is in the 85-95% range. 98-100% is basically a doubling of volume and the difference between tinnitus and blowing the IEM drivers, and only 1 button press away. Hope they can release a firmware update to enable selectable volume curves. Amir might have some influence to ask!

Last edited:

ArsenalODoom

Will this drive Drop + Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X (Efficiency: 91dB/mW Impedance: 12.5 ohms), (which is only slightly easier to drive than the DC Stealth at 87-90dB/mW)

EDIT: After reading more in this thread, perhaps I should just forget this one and look to IFI Go Bar, IBasso DC04pro or Hiby FC4...or newest entry Moondrop Dawn Pro?

Last edited:

Kosta

Will this drive Drop + Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X (Efficiency: 91dB/mW Impedance: 12.5 ohms), (which is only slightly easier to drive than the DC Stealth at 87-90dB/mW)

EDIT: After reading more in this thread, perhaps I should just forget this one and look to IFI Go Bar, IBasso DC04pro or Hiby FC4...or newest entry Moondrop Dawn Pro?
I doubt there is much difference in diving power between all those

ArsenalODoom

I doubt there is much difference in diving power between all those
I appreciate the response.
Question remains though.
Will any of these dongle dac/amps properly drive the Drop + Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X, (Efficiency: 91dB/mW Impedance: 12.5 ohms), connected via phone or laptop.
AndyAudioVault says yes, (drives his Fostex T40RP MKIII), Josh Valour says pretty much no, not enough power.

jcadduono

I appreciate the response.
Question remains though.
Will any of these dongle dac/amps properly drive the Drop + Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X, (Efficiency: 91dB/mW Impedance: 12.5 ohms), connected via phone or laptop.
AndyAudioVault says yes, (drives his Fostex T40RP MKIII), Josh Valour says pretty much no, not enough power.
At the levels I listen to, that is a definite no, it may get to a decent volume but the distortion from lack of power will be very evident. If you listen quietly, which is more doable on closed headphones, it might be workable...I'd just get a Topping G5.

ArsenalODoom

At the levels I listen to, that is a definite no, it may get to a decent volume but the distortion from lack of power will be very evident. If you listen quietly, which is more doable on closed headphones, it might be workable...I'd just get a Topping G5.
Thanks for the honest response. I like to listen pretty loud. Sounds like dongles won't deliver for me. If I do order one, I'll make sure that I can return it.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had those Dan Clarks before and I'd recommend the Topping G5 also if you want to have EQ options or pre-volume war recordings loud enough. They really take a push of current. It's still going to be asking a lot for portable battery life on balanced. From my experiences with the G5, you'll probably get 2 hours out of it with loud volume levels.

ArsenalODoom

Thanks for the G5 rec. Dunring, also looking at Shanling UA4 (211mW@32ohms) unsure about volts which appear to be what I need.
Desktop set-up is JDS Atom stack, and that's a bit wanting for more power.
Contemplating upgrading to SMSL SP200 for more power.

Thoughts?

Marcos1

Hello, good afternoon, I wanted to make a technical question to see if someone can help me.

I wanted to know what the output impedance of this DAC is?

Because I wanted to use a 3.5 splitter, so I could use 2 headphones at the same time (I have 2 7hz Salnotes zero).

These iems have 32 ohms impedance, but as I know, if I connect 2 headphones at the same time, it is divided (it would remain at 16 ohms).

Therefore, I wanted to know if it could be done, if this could cause damage to the device (overheating) and if it would generate some type of distortion when listening to it (since it is designed to be used with 1 headphone at a time).

Thank you so much.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I wanted to know what the output impedance of this DAC is?
While we don't have output impedance measurements per se, we know that the Space has near 0Ω output impedance, because the lines in this graph basically overlap at the start:
1661027318-UNBAL-THDN-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level.jpg
Source

It's a convenient side effect of Ohm's law :)

Because I wanted to use a 3.5 splitter, so I could use 2 headphones at the same time (I have 2 7hz Salnotes zero).

These iems have 32 ohms impedance, but as I know, if I connect 2 headphones at the same time, it is divided (it would remain at 16 ohms).

Therefore, I wanted to know if it could be done, if this could cause damage to the device (overheating) and if it would generate some type of distortion when listening to it (since it is designed to be used with 1 headphone at a time).
You can use a splitter to drive two pairs of IEMs in parallel.

If the splitter is constructed properly, then it will not cause damage, nor will it generate any distortion.

However, it is likely that one IEM will be slightly more sensitive than the other, meaning that it'll always play a bit louder than the other.

Marcos1

While we don't have output impedance measurements per se, we know that the Space has near 0Ω output impedance, because the lines in this graph basically overlap at the start:
View attachment 326945
Source

It's a convenient side effect of Ohm's law :)

You can use a splitter to drive two pairs of IEMs in parallel.

If the splitter is constructed properly, then it will not cause damage, nor will it generate any distortion.

However, it is likely that one IEM will be slightly more sensitive than the other, meaning that it'll always play a bit louder than the other.
Thank you very much for your reply.

He didn't know that graph was interpreted that way, thank you very much for that.

And I consult him about a well-constructed divider.

I was going to opt for a generic one, should it have some characteristic that I should observe to know if it is of quality?

I also didn't know that with a splitter it could happen that one iem was heard a little louder than another, thanks for that information too.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I was going to opt for a generic one, should it have some characteristic that I should observe to know if it is of quality?
Low impedance and flawless pinout
(you can check with a multimeter and a 3.5mm plug)
50AJ0242-40.jpg 31aL1zKu9JL.jpg

staticV3

Master Contributor
I was thinking of using something like this.

Is it useful or should I look for something else?
I'm sorry, I cannot check impedance and pinout from a photo :(

I do not own the measuring instrument you mention.
A multimeter only costs some $10-20 and is immensely helpful for all things audio. I highly recommend one!

Eulipian

As to the Hiby FC4, great concept, but mine arrived with a short in the USB cable port. The company's response was "try a new cable." When I did and got the same result company's response was . . . crickets.

Marcos1

I'm sorry, I cannot check impedance and pinout from a photo :(

A multimeter only costs some $10-20 and is immensely helpful for all things audio. I highly recommend one!
From the look of it, I'm sorry for bothering you so much.

If you had the option to go with this dac or the TempoTec Sonata BHD Pro

Which one would you choose? I ask you because the TempoTec analysis is very good and it is also at a similar price.

staticV3

Master Contributor
If you had the option to go with this dac or the TempoTec Sonata BHD Pro

Which one would you choose? I ask you because the TempoTec analysis is very good and it is also at a similar price.
They perform basically the same acc. to Amir's tests.
I think I'd buy the Tanchjim. It's smaller and looks nicer IMO :)

Top Bottom