• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Powernode (2021) vs H/K Citation vs Sonos Amp vs NAD D 3045

vazakh

It’s unfortunate that HK didn’t make it possible to select a digital input; when I connect the TV via HDMI, I can’t get sound from the Wiim Pro via coaxial or optical

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Harman Kardon got some discounts atm so i ordered the Citation Amp for a silly 280€ new. I will report back on my experience when it gets here.

I had one from outlet a year ago which had problems (could have been an outlier because it was a outlet item OR it was an old batch)

On a sidenote, I dont know if i can live without WiiM features like peq now

Last edited:

vazakh

Good afternoon! Have any of the owners solved the problem of overheating H/K? I couldn’t figure out how to disassemble the amplifier; perhaps the thermal paste on the cooler or cooling fins needs to be changed. How can I do that? And what other options for additional cooling (an additional cooler or something else)?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good afternoon! Have any of the owners solved the problem of overheating H/K? I couldn’t figure out how to disassemble the amplifier; perhaps the thermal paste on the cooler or cooling fins needs to be changed. How can I do that? And what other options for additional cooling (an additional cooler or something else)?
My guess is that most of the heat comes from its power supply, see below.
(Source of the pictures: https://fccid.io/APIHKCTAMP)
index.php

The output drivers for the speaker amplifier don't even have heat sinks attached.
HK-5.PNG

vazakh

Thank you! Now I would like to understand how he still understands it. The screws are not visible, and I don’t want to use physical force either...

PeterOo

Thank you! Now I would like to understand how he still understands it. The screws are not visible, and I don’t want to use physical force either...
There were some pictures published here.
The top picture is from the top i guess.edit: There might be screws going up from inside the amp. It looks like it is connected with clips. else you might have to pry this loose using spudges or a plastic card.

The bottom (2nd picture) appears to be fixed with four screws that are probably hidden under the square rubber foot (see my avatar, which is the bottom of the Citation Amp :))

From several people that had a failing Amp I heard the fan would never come on. So that might be a good point to start. Perhaps it is just stuck.

vazakh

The top picture is from the top i guess.edit: There might be screws going up from inside the amp. It looks like it is connected with clips. else you might have to pry this loose using spudges or a plastic card.

The bottom (2nd picture) appears to be fixed with four screws that are probably hidden under the square rubber foot (see my avatar, which is the bottom of the Citation Amp :))

From several people that had a failing Amp I heard the fan would never come on. So that might be a good point to start. Perhaps it is just stuck.
Thank you for the clarification! I'll try to disassemble the amplifier. I don't hear any noise from the fan, maybe it really isn't working.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the clarification! I'll try to disassemble the amplifier. I don't hear any noise from the fan, maybe it really isn't working.
It is a small fan, and for a small fan to really work (i.e. to generate a decent amount of air flow), it has to spin fast. And a fast spinning fan means noisy. It is IHMO a poor design choice to use such a small fan (and evidently with little or no consideration to air flow path management to direct the air flow to where it is most needed).

ninetylol

It is a small fan, and for a small fan to really work (i.e. to generate a decent amount of air flow), it has to spin fast. And a fast spinning fan means noisy. It is IHMO a poor design choice to use such a small fan (and evidently with little or no consideration to air flow path management to direct the air flow to where it is most needed).
absoloutely, i never get it when any product manfacturer uses a 50 cent fan on such an expensive product. I wil l check my new Amp when it arrives tomorrow, i may replace the fan with a slightly bigger one from noctua, if i see heat or noise problems. just need to know at what voltage the internal fan works.

ninetylol

Damn the Citation Amp is bigger than i remembered. I thought its as big as my Aiyima A07 Max but its prolly 8 times the volume. Lets do some listening!

wilkman

@ninetylol I also got it withe the discount from the german shop. I really like it and the connectivity works fine. But true - it gets really hot, especially on the top right side. I can hear a little whine after a while, seems to be the fan I guess - not very loud but hearable from ~20 cm when no sound is playing.

I'm really interesed in your experiences and feedback regarding a fan alternative.

thanks, wilkman

ninetylol

@ninetylol I also got it withe the discount from the german shop. I really like it and the connectivity works fine. But true - it gets really hot, especially on the top right side. I can hear a little whine after a while, seems to be the fan I guess - not very loud but hearable from ~20 cm when no sound is playing.

I'm really interesed in your experiences and feedback regarding a fan alternative.

thanks, wilkman
At the moment i have 2 pc fans blowing air over it, because yes it gets really hot. I also hair a faint noise after a while but I dont want to open the device before im sure i can keep it.

Last outlet citation amp had some random stuttering, which this one luckily does not have so far. Works and sounds great so far!

wilkman

@ninetylol alright, I'll also check it during the next days. Otherwise I'll try the powernode as well. But it's three time the price and I like the open connection via Chromecast instead of the closed bluesound solution.

vazakh

I removed the bottom cover, turned on the amplifier, played music via Airplay and left it playing for about an hour. During this time, the amplifier warmed up, but the fan did not start working. At the same time, it rotates absolutely freely if you blow on it. I don't know what to do next. Any tips?

ninetylol

I removed the bottom cover, turned on the amplifier, played music via Airplay and left it playing for about an hour. During this time, the amplifier warmed up, but the fan did not start working. At the same time, it rotates absolutely freely if you blow on it. I don't know what to do next. Any tips?
Maybe it doesnt get hot enough without its cover

PeterOo

Tough question, because there does not seem to be any info why it fails.

You could try a hairdryer to see if it will turn on at all if it gets hot? If not that might indicate a defective sensor, electronics or fan.
Do you see a fan connector where you could apply a few volts to test the fan directly? Can you measure if a voltage is being applied to the fan if the amp gets hot?
Do you see the temperature sensor? Is it properly seated with some thermal paste?

Does the heatsink (where the fan is mounted in/on) get warm? In case the contact between whatever it is cooling and the heatsink is not conducting heat.

Not sure if you dare to take it apart further and check if there is enough thermal paste between the heatsink and what it is cooling.

It would always be fun to get some more detailed pictures. As you see it is still not clear to me what it is cooling?

Last edited:

vazakh

Tough question, because there does not seem to be any info why it fails.

You could try a hairdryer to see if it will turn on at all if it gets hot? If not that might indicate a defective sensor, electronics or fan.
Do you see a fan connector where you could apply a few volts to test the fan directly? Can you measure if a voltage is being applied to the fan if the amp gets hot?
Do you see the temper sensor? Is it properly seated with some thermal paste?

Does the heatsink (where the fan is mounted in/on) get warm? In case the contact between whatever it is cooling and the heatsink is not conducting heat.

Not sure if you dare to take it apart further and check if there is enough thermal paste between the heatsink and what it is cooling.

It would always be fun to get some more detailed pictures. As you see it is still not clear to me what it is cooling?
Unfortunately, to get to the fan, you need to almost completely disassemble the device. I unscrewed the screws to remove the first board, but could not disconnect the cables for fear of damaging them.

vazakh

At the moment i have 2 pc fans blowing air over it, because yes it gets really hot. I also hair a faint noise after a while but I dont want to open the device before im sure i can keep it.

Last outlet citation amp had some random stuttering, which this one luckily does not have so far. Works and sounds great so far!
Can I ask you to take a photo of how you implemented this?

Top Bottom