• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping RD3 TP Balanced DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 89 39.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 120 52.6%

• Total voters

coptician

I wonder what market segment this TP line is meant for. They are rack mount, but the RA3 is only 50ish wpc at 8 ohms before the knee, which is no where near enough power for public space applications.
I imagine this is almost entirely a product for the home rack. You know, the kind of device an integrator would sell. Except this is more of a DIY device with much lower price than those sold by such companies.

If I had a 19" rack for Hifi stuff, I would definitely consider adding this to it instead of getting another (also great) DAC. Outside of the features the ADI-2 offers, this seems like a pretty complete package. And with the WiiM Pro offering parametric equalisation starting this or next week...

F1308

Major Contributor
I wonder what is so hard about making rack mounts removable like Motu does?
It would need some additional screws...jeopardizing net income.

See that there are no olives to remove...

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i dont see it like that

topping want to force their faux rack series on customers

if you give customers the choice then it dilutes the 'rack professional look' if they dont use it

Bleib

Major Contributor
i dont see it like that

topping want to force their faux rack series on customers

if you give customers the choice then it dilutes the 'rack professional look' if they dont use it
Force? They aren't even sold through many shops.

BossBunos

Very nice product. Love the fact Topping is making something different than desktop stuff.
Isn't the level for absolute transparency -115? If so isn't that jitter audible?

Anthony LoFi

I think this product for the price is great value for money.
I believe they will sell well in their target market especially with an independent test of it performace capabilities done by Amir/ASR.

BALKAN_RAKIA

Audio aesthetics are a generational thing. I am too young to understand the fascination with racks and too old for Japanese cartoons on headphone packaging.

martijn86

It would be a thousand times better with removable ears (like Behringer for example) as it would fit in more environments.
Optical's and SPDIF's jitter is disapointing (for the ones who use them) ,otherwise good performance.
Everything is removable if you are motivated enough.

S=klogW

Is there a setting to adjust DPLL? It should help with jitter on toslink.
Looking at the much higher jitter on toslink/coax vice USB, I wonder if this unit shows poor sinad performance too when using toslink/coax inputs. I bought and measured a Topping E30ii and sinad was similar for USB input (around 117dB) but the sinad for the toslink input was a massive 20dB worse - unacceptable so returned to Amazon!

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the form-factor for the most part, i.e. the wide casing versus the narrow casing which seemed to be Topping standard, such as my D90 DAC. However I do wish the rackmount "wings" were removable which would make for a nice, ~17" case. I definitely like the large, visible display.

Personally I like the 17" width for most hi-fi components, although I suppose it's too wide for desktop use of folks with otherwise limited space.

EeeGee

Very nice.
I just wish Topping (or somebody else) will come with a high performance dac in a big enclosure including 5"-7" of spectrum analyser / vu meters / song details swappable display.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Audio aesthetics are a generational thing. I am too young to understand the fascination with racks and too old for Japanese cartoons on headphone packaging.
Absolutely! I never read such a perfect definition before! lol

F1308

Major Contributor
Then comes the messing of removing all
that STUPID pictures before delivering the present to your beloved ones...

Top Bottom