• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New to the hobby...question

OP
J

jperls

What was it that you disliked about the Modi 3? I have one and I honestly can’t tell the difference between it and my Topping D70s when playing Red Book CDs via coax input and RCA output.
Sent you a message...ended up cancelling the order for the Topping E70. Now I just need to find a network streamer and CD player.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sent you a message...ended up cancelling the order for the Topping E70. Now I just need to find a network streamer and CD player.
The Marantz 6000-series CD players seem to be reliable and have good ergonomics. I believe CD loading design, construction, and ergonomics are the primary differentiators in CD players. And remote controls. I own an Integra changer because I sometimes like to load six discs and walk away; it sounds exactly the same as my Bryston DAC.

OP
J

jperls

And the system is now wireless thanks to a Wiim Mini streamer. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this setup. Listening to Shoshana Bean "Make It Rain" as I type this...Also did my own wiring today (speaker wires and high-level sub-output). Not sure whether it is using pure copper wire instead of the copper-clad aluminum or the feeling of pride of doing something yourself...but the system sounds even better. It just feels more resolving and more present...not sure if these are the right words...but its just wonderful.

Last edited:
OP
J

jperls

Quick question...everyone on this forum is obsessed with noise...what is all this talk about noise? I turn my system up all the way (nothing is playing) and I hear nothing coming from my speakers or subwoofer. Is this a good thing? What is all this talk about noise, noise floor, and the like? Am I missing something? Am I not hearing noise where I should be and am trying to reduce it?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quick question...everyone on this forum is obsessed with noise...what is all this talk about noise? I turn my system up all the way (nothing is playing) and I hear nothing coming from my speakers or subwoofer. Is this a good thing? What is all this talk about noise, noise floor, and the like? Am I missing something? Am I not hearing noise where I should be and am trying to reduce it?
Noise can be hard to detect until you listen to another system with a lower noise floor (i.e., base level of noise). Systems with lower noise levels sound more dynamic between highs and lows and offer clearer details within the music.

For many years, I used a NAD 1600 preamplifier in my system and I enjoyed it. When I switched to a Bryston BP-25 preamp, I was amazed at the difference in detail and clarity. The NAD had a measured THD+N of 0.01%. The Bryston had a measured THD+N of 0.000339%. That measure also includes distortion, but noise can be a greater limiter than distortion in non-tube systems. I later used that same NAD in a second system and still enjoyed using it for years until I upgraded again.

If you are not hearing objectionable noise, don’t worry about it - enjoy your music. You probably won’t notice a difference until you get the itch to upgrade.

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I forgot you had a Yamaha integrated. Just get the matching Yamaha CD-S303. It will sound exactly the same as any comparable player and you’ll likely be happier with the aesthetics and ergonomics.

OP
J

jperls

Noise can be hard to detect until you listen to another system with a lower noise floor (i.e., base level of noise). Systems with lower noise levels sound more dynamic between highs and lows and offer clearer details within the music.

For many years, I used a NAD 1600 preamplifier in my system and I enjoyed it. When I switched to a Bryston BP-25 preamp, I was amazed at the difference in detail and clarity. The NAD had a measured THD+N of 0.01%. The Bryston had a measured THD+N of 0.000339%. That measure also includes distortion, but noise can be a greater limiter than distortion in non-tube systems. I later used that same NAD in a second system and still enjoyed using it for years until I upgraded again.

If you are not hearing objectionable noise, don’t worry about it - enjoy your music. You probably won’t notice a difference until you get the itch to upgrade.

Well...if there is going to be any major upgrades, the next one would be the room (i.e. moving out of the apartment and into a home where I can have a dedicated sound room with better acoustic qualities). As for minor upgrades...we will have to see...but going to stay for this system for a while.
I forgot you had a Yamaha integrated. Just get the matching Yamaha CD-S303. It will sound exactly the same as any comparable player and you’ll likely be happier with the aesthetics and ergonomics.

That is the player I was going to go for...its too bad it doesn't come in silver though (so I might shop around a little...just so I can keep a cohesive theme).

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well...if there is going to be any major upgrades, the next one would be the room (i.e. moving out of the apartment and into a home where I can have a dedicated sound room with better acoustic qualities). As for minor upgrades...we will have to see...but going to stay for this system for a while.

That is the player I was going to go for...its too bad it doesn't come in silver though (so I might shop around a little...just so I can keep a cohesive theme).
There are a number of nice-looking, used S300's for sale out there, if that would be of interest.

OP
J

jperls

There are a number of nice-looking, used S300's for sale out there, if that would be of interest.
And I just discovered my sony dvd player has a coaxial output...hooked it up to the Modi dac......cheap (free), no frills, but it does the job and because there is no DAC in the player...means its a pure transport...which is what I am looking for. Yes its black, but it hides very well in the setup (might upgrade late...but for now listening to Eugene Ruffolo CD is delightful. I have a friend coming into town bringing all her old CD collection that she doesn't want. Hooray.

OP
J

jperls

@Angsty ...just ordered a second Schiit Modius dac...why you may ask? I like the sound a little better than the modi...but also want to be able to use my headphone setup (strictly balanced...so the modi doesn't work with it). But I will keep the modi as a backup...the modius seems a little smoother than the modi...but at least I know the quality control will be there :)

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Angsty ...just ordered a second Schiit Modius dac...why you may ask? I like the sound a little better than the modi...but also want to be able to use my headphone setup (strictly balanced...so the modi doesn't work with it). But I will keep the modi as a backup...the modius seems a little smoother than the modi...but at least I know the quality control will be there :)
Sounds like a plan - congrats!

OP
J

jperls

And the system just got a new mod...best part...free...adjusted speaker position (used Bob Robbin's technique and that insane track ballad of the runaway horse)...what a difference...got Jennifer Warnes dead center (might need to rake speakers a little or raise them just a tad)...but what a difference. Diana Krall sounds like she is in my living room performing for me...Vivaldi's mandolin concertos sound more spacious (can actually picture where the instruments go). Just bought some sorbithane pads to put under console that the system is on (it's kind of flimsy...so I want to try to reduce vibration...even though I am not noticing anything) as well as the amplifier (it sits on plastic stands with tiny tiny felt pads underneath the feet).

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Active speakers have components much more likely to malfunction. Also, most actives have cheap amps. Unless the active has separate amp.
Qualified between crap sold on Amazon to world class speakers like Neumann or Genelec I’d have to call complete heifer dust on your assertion.

OP
J

jperls

Question...given my current setup...do I need a pre-amp? What exactly does this device do (yes I looked at google...but still not understanding it exactly).

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Question...given my current setup...do I need a pre-amp? What exactly does this device do (yes I looked at google...but still not understanding it exactly).
Your Yamaha is an integrated amp; it combines a pre-amp and a power amp into a single housing. No - you do not need a pre-amp unless you plan to buy a power amp instead of your current integrated amp.

A pre-amp provides signal switching from multiple source devices to a power amplifier. It is sometimes called a control amplifier. It also provides volume control for a power amp which generally has a fixed amount of voltage multiplication (“gain”) for the output to the speakers. It “pre-amplifies” signals, either up or down, going to the power amplifier.

As an example, my old NAD 1600 preamp was separate from my NAD C272 power amp. The 1600 provided the control functions (also using a remote control) but the C272 did the “heavy lifting” of voltage and current to power the speakers. Your Yamaha does both functions in one box instead of two.

Having two separate boxes allowed me to upgrade from a 50W Proton power amp to the 150W C272 while keeping the 1600 preamp in place.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48726

Qualified between crap sold on Amazon to world class speakers like Neumann or Genelec I’d have to call complete heifer dust on your assertion.
Between active and passive speakers the actives must have higher failrate.

And when the active amp fails, you either have to source a new amp, which can be tricky when new models come out all the time and the manufacturer doesn't have it in stock no more. Or throw it in the dumpster.

This doesn't happen with passives of course. When the amp fails you buy a new one and keep the speakers.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Between active and passive speakers the actives must have higher failrate.

And when the active amp fails, you either have to source a new amp, which can be tricky when new models come out all the time and the manufacturer doesn't have it in stock no more. Or throw it in the dumpster.

This doesn't happen with passives of course. When the amp fails you buy a new one and keep the speakers.
Or you repair the amplifier in either case.

With high-end actives like Neumanns, this is readily accomplished as it would be for reputable amplifiers.

D

Deleted member 48726

Or you repair the amplifier in either case.

With high-end actives like Neumanns, this is readily accomplished as it would be for reputable amplifiers.
Repair is often not as simple as compared to an A/B. Swapping is often the practice. Making proprietairy parts the big problem.

There will always be exceptions to the general rule. Most people don't buy Neumanns as most people don't buy Mcintosh. Both are for sure having proprietairy spare parts for years to come. Most don't.

Top Bottom