• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

Axo1989

Major Contributor
It's still pretty compact , Focal Utopia is 202cm high :)

True, it is in fact smaller (or shorter) than I expected. Of course the Focal has some grace to go with its tall stature. This Genelec is like staring at a four-eyed engineer.

Sokel

Master Contributor
True, it is in fact smaller (or shorter) than I expected. Of course the Focal has some grace to go with its tall stature. This Genelec is like staring at a four-eyed engineer.
I have seen Grand Utopia in grey in a house with similar aesthetics and even if room was big they still dominated a good chunk of it.
Finish is faultless (even if it doesn't give the "feel" of the big Sonus Faber which is unique)

Different use case,different needs,different tools I guess, and when it comes to looks it's so personal that any opinion is both right and wrong.
I would really like to listen to Gen's,I'm really curious about the midbass (which I think it's the whole design targets,as lack of it is a sour grape usually) and elevated (even at only 1,2 (?) meters) highs and if they give the feel that other big ones with high tweeters give.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

dedobot

Don't match your Genelecs to your room aesthetic. Match your room aesthetics to your genelecs. Concrete walls look better than white walls anyways.

View attachment 287071
Looks like a torture chamber Sort of that in "Puppet on a Chain" novel but modern version.

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I love the fact that people are focusing on the size of the aluminum faceplate and the use of MDF elsewhere. Nobody is focusing on $70k/pair speakers using paper woofers.

Not aluminum. Not ceramic coated. Not magnesium alloy. The woofers are clearly paper.

I think this is fine and paper woofers sounds good. However, I would expect the materials brigade to note that there are a dozen “more pistonic” driver materials than paper.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I love the fact that people are focusing on the size of the aluminum faceplate and the use of MDF elsewhere. Nobody is focusing on $70k/pair speakers using paper woofers.

Not aluminum. Not ceramic coated. Not magnesium alloy. The woofers are clearly paper.

I think this is fine and paper woofers sounds good. However, I would expect the materials brigade to note that there are a dozen “more pistonic” driver materials than paper.
What material is this ?
FB_IMG_1659698459000.jpg

Axo1989

Major Contributor

I always assumed those waveguides were a composite, but maybe they are aluminium. As for the rest, damned if that doesn't look like the infamous bargain-bin black ash. But it's likely painted/stained plywood if not a veneer.

But you mean the bass drivers: may well be the same paper, I guess look it up?

Axo1989

Major Contributor

Haha, stirring up trouble?

Fwiw my four-ways have three drivers in ceramic-coated aluminium and a (sub)woofer of paper so it's all good. :)

beeface

A lot of people are talking about this ugly, ignoring the fact that 99% of the units Genelec are going to sell will end up in studios, purchased by people who aren't concerned about how they look.

Fine Asian beauty !

I've always found the fetishisation of race rather odd. If you must objectify her, would it not suffice to simply refer to the woman as a "fine beauty"?

Tks

Major Contributor
Just found out what these are today. My goodness, 6Kw amp, 126dB, $64K pair... Who's this for real talk?

beeface

Just found out what these are today. My goodness, 6Kw amp, 126dB, $64K pair... Who's this for real talk?

You know, this is one thing I don't know much about but am curious to know:

There's supposedly a lot less money in the music industry than there was 30 or even 20 years ago for record labels, especially major ones.

Meanwhile, there's been a boom in bedroom studios, and Focusrite have sold roughly a gazillion interfaces in recent years.

What's the market like for big-ticket studio devices these days? Surely demand is way down?

Maybe a question for another thread.

Top Bottom