• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Would look better if they painted the drivers too
They never paint them
DXb5VInWkAAOM86 (1).jpg
genelec_8361aw_3way_active_studio_monitor_dual_1507381.jpg

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Don't match your Genelecs to your room aesthetic. Match your room aesthetics to your genelecs. Concrete walls look better than white walls anyways.

The Ones _ Designing the new W371 Adaptive Woofer System. 2-19 screenshot.png

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Titanium is very light and hard material. I'd go with gold/lead coated in super-duper polimer :)
It isn’t as light as ally and isn’t that hard, quite easy to scratch and fairly expensive.

It has about the same specific stiffness as steel (ie about half as dense and half as stiff). So does aluminium, but in this case a third the density and a third the stiffness.

IME unless you need strength at elevated temperatures an aluminium alloy is pretty well always a better cost/performance choice than titanium.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Putting aside the charts, let’s dissect the differences and sum them up:

8381 boasts a compression tweetr
The quad mids enhances direcativity and boosts low-mid spl
15” woofer vs 14” woofer in the W371
2 x 15” woofers for active bass management vs 12” woofer

Seems the 8381 would run circles around the combo.
(And it ditches the slit design which I personally dislike)

All on paper of course
There is a slit in the back.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally, I love them already - but I'm a sucker for function dictating form.

For those less purist than me though, I wonder how hard a simple stocking stretch grille would be to do?

My old Neat Ultimatums had this, looked great and was acoustically inert.
That’s what I would do. Stocking or other sheer material.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Generally woofers with break-up rings are intended for wide band use into the midrange.

badspeakerdesigner

If a speaker design decision contributes to an improvement that is measurable but not audible then it's 'overkill' in my opinion.

Magico always claims that their fully aluminium cabinets have a lot less vibrations than MDF. This might indeed be true but it doesn't mean that a normal thick MDF cabinets has audible vibrations/ distortion from the cabinet in the first place.
This is also the case with Kefs R series and Reference series which uses a aluminium front baffle. Might be better in theory but they pretty much measure the same.

After a specific price point you basically only pay for overengineering, build quality and design.

C-notes are 1/2" mdf and don't have cabinet issues. I generally think people go a little overboard on cabinet dampening.

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why do they use 2 types of woofers?
The larger dust cap on the side woofers allow for more excursion, which is more important for the sides as they handle the lowest frequencies.

The ribs on the side woofers add mass which reduces the Fs, they likely make it stiffer against warping at high pressures at low frequency but would the cone more likely to deform at higher frequencies.

It seems like the side woofers are optimized for low frequency but at the cost of not being able to be a midrange. This makes sense because they are crossed at 50 hz.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a reflex bass port, which is common on most Genelecs.

The slit design for the race track drives has been ditched along with the drives.
Oh yeah I see. But I would argue in the 8351/w371 not much output comes out of that driver. But yes some still does especially if you manually limit the crossover to 150Hz as I have done.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
If they ditched the oval drivers of the Ones
And this is one of the Ones
Does it mean that they felt they're compromised in any way vs a regular round driver for them to switch back to an "old" design ?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
If they ditched the oval drivers of the Ones
And this is one of the Ones
Does it mean that they felt they're compromised in any way vs a regular round driver for them to switch back to an "old" design ?

Oval or racetrack drivers are more compact (compared to piston area) than circular drivers. The Ones are compact, this speaker (the Main One as they call it) isn't trying to be.

Top Bottom