• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

hege

Forum Donor
Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Where do you see interferences?

We shouldn't mix up things this is a LM-UM-T-UM-LM configuration where the crossover frequency between the lower mids and upper mids is 500 Hz and the corresponsing driver distances inside the range of the wavelength to not have the lobing issues that typically poorly engineered MTM loudspeakers crossed a 2kHz have.
You can do MTM wrong, of course. But some people caim the concept itself is doomed.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can do MTM wrong, of course. But some people caim the concept itself is doomed.
I would phrase it a bit differently, you can make a MTM right but it is not easy with typical home hifi drivers and I would say more than 95% of the ones out on the market don't belong to the "right" category.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would phrase it a bit differently, you can make a MTM right but it is not easy with typical home hifi drivers and I would say more than 95% of the ones out on the market don't belong to the "right" category.
Amir has tested several that looked very good, and that he enjoyed. Just because someone screws it up doesn't make it hopeless.

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It would be interesting to compare them to the JBL M2. Both are quite large, loud, focused more on working with sound, and have large bass drivers. They also have a similar "descent" of low frequencies.

Sokel

Master Contributor
On the one hand 6KW of amp's,on the other:

1684241204853.png

Still short if it's talking about one speaker.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Where do you see interferences?

We shouldn't mix up things, this is a LM-UM-T-UM-LM configuration where the crossover frequency between the lower mids and upper mids is 500 Hz and the corresponding driver distances inside the range of the wavelength to not have the lobing issues that typically poorly engineered MTM loudspeakers crossed at 2kHz have.
Of cause you don't grant me the requested honor of being right with my brief speculation about the interference design. Namely, not trying to minimise, running away in ignorance, but to accept interference and use it.

But what about the looks, actually? It stood so much in focus in this thread of 26 (!!) pages even before the final secret was revealed.

I'm a little bit concerned about information overload, which emphasized by lacking insight may interferre destructively. Let's see how much will come out here in this thread. A new standard is born very much like the "little black dress" become instantly once it was published, a revolution? Just asking.

It would be interesting to compare them to the JBL M2. Both are quite large, loud, focused more on working with sound, and have large bass drivers. They also have a similar "descent" of low frequencies.

Sure, one is two-way following JBL's heritage, the other four-way to shrug off lived-in limitations. And not the least, one is JBL, the other is Genelec.

Ilkka Rissanen

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Now that the cat is officially (ahem) out of the bag, shoot us with the questions you can't see being answered by viewing the product page or the product brochure. We are here to serve you. :)

dfuller

Major Contributor
Now that the cat is officially (ahem) out of the bag, shoot us with the questions you can't see being answered by viewing the product page or the product brochure. We are here to serve you. :)

So, what's going on with the off-axis flare around 1k? Seems oddly out of character to have that kind of directivity error.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
200 kg. damn that's bada$s.

That's the shipping weight. It's manageable as a modular delivery however, they've thought about the logistics.

The top and bottom enclosures are 75 kg each, the amp units are 11 kg each (so 150 kg for the speaker assembly, or 172 kg per side including the amps which can go in a rack, or wherever).

Top Bottom