• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pure Electric Vehicles

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So what you got? What have you had? What's on order? How are supply chain screwups treating you? What do you think of each vehicle?

Don't even talk about your gas burner, hybrid or not. Your hydrogen honeysuckle can go huff glue. Do not even mention them!

We've got a 2019 Jaguar I-Pace FE. This is an amazing car. The only issue is that the ride is a little rough. It can rise up for off-roading and then handle like a true sports car in the canyon or autocross. True luxury in and out.

Then a 2021 Tesla Model Y LR. Chintzy interior. Creaks, groans, and shudders. Questionable software. After I installed the lifted Ohlins suspension, performance software, and real physical buttons for the most common controls, it's actually alright.

2023 BMW i4 M50 on order. I'm a bit concerned about the low ride height, but otherwise it seems essentially perfect. Faster, smoother, and better handling, especially with the sticky 20" wheels and tires. It's been built and is sitting in ze dock in Deutschland, waiting for das boot.

2023 Subaru Solterra on order. If Toyota can get the wheels back on, it might arrive someday. This will be for my parents, actually, if it is every built. I do appreciate the 8" of ground clearance. If my parents give up, it could be a fourth EV since we're soon to have four drivers in the family.

A Canoo Lifestyle on order as well. If they don't fold, I expect it in 2027 at the earliest. A clever design.

We had a Fiat 500e. Such a fun car, but the range was not enough. I really need a solid 150 miles. I sigh each time I see one. Recaro seats and some quality suspension would transform the car for the better.

We had a Spark EV. I don't miss it, though it was a thoroughly functional vehicle. The seats were crap and the range was crap. Not as fun as the Fiat.

MCH

Major Contributor
Then a 2021 Tesla Model Y LR. Chintzy interior. Creaks, groans, and shudders.
Seems that one of the challenges for the industry is the fact that as ev generate less noise in general, vibrations and other noises are more noticeable and difficult to mask:
20220921_080908.jpg

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems that one of the challenges for the industry is the fact that as ev generate less noise in general, vibrations and other noises are more noticeable and difficult to mask:
View attachment 232279
Tesla puts way too little money into sound deadening, suspension, and frame stiffness. The I-Pace is a tomb in comparison. It does, however, save a bunch of weight and improve efficiency and range. Quantity over quality.

JSmith

Master Contributor
This is quite interesting;

An increasingly wide swath of applications use hemp-based materials. These include beverages, oils, and detergents. But they are turning up in manufacturing goods like furniture, interior automotive composites, bioplastics, and the energy and fuel sectors.

JSmith

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So what you got? What have you had? What's on order? How are supply chain screwups treating you? What do you think of each vehicle?

Don't even talk about your gas burner, hybrid or not. Your hydrogen honeysuckle can go huff glue. Do not even mention them!

We've got a 2019 Jaguar I-Pace FE. This is an amazing car. The only issue is that the ride is a little rough. It can rise up for off-roading and then handle like a true sports car in the canyon or autocross. True luxury in and out.

Then a 2021 Tesla Model Y LR. Chintzy interior. Creaks, groans, and shudders. Questionable software. After I installed the lifted Ohlins suspension, performance software, and real physical buttons for the most common controls, it's actually alright.

2023 BMW i4 M50 on order. I'm a bit concerned about the low ride height, but otherwise it seems essentially perfect. Faster, smoother, and better handling, especially with the sticky 20" wheels and tires. It's been built and is sitting in ze dock in Deutschland, waiting for das boot.

2023 Subaru Solterra on order. If Toyota can get the wheels back on, it might arrive someday. This will be for my parents, actually, if it is every built. I do appreciate the 8" of ground clearance. If my parents give up, it could be a fourth EV since we're soon to have four drivers in the family.

A Canoo Lifestyle on order as well. If they don't fold, I expect it in 2027 at the earliest. A clever design.

We had a Fiat 500e. Such a fun car, but the range was not enough. I really need a solid 150 miles. I sigh each time I see one. Recaro seats and some quality suspension would transform the car for the better.

We had a Spark EV. I don't miss it, though it was a thoroughly functional vehicle. The seats were crap and the range was crap. Not as fun as the Fiat.
Wait, did you already go through 4 EVs and now you’re waiting on the 5th?

DSJR

Major Contributor
A slightly off-topic UK-Centric whinge follows, so ignore if you want :)

Not enough charging coverage in this little overcrowded country. Four charging points at our local supermarket hardly ever used (one is, sometimes) and same in another local site with two points grudgingly fitted recently. Still a few Teslas though around and about (bloody ugly things I think ;) ) and a few hybrids noticed. Our crowded town and city streets are going to be very difficult to accommodate on-street charging unless we cover kerbsides with the EV version of parking meters.

Why are so many EV's here SUV types? Too tall (so they feel superior?), too bulky and wide for UK parking spaces and wasteful of resources for couples or smaller families. Ford is replacing the Fiesta (and has dumped the Focus already) next year? with EV versions, so we'll see. Most new cars here are leased anyway I gather so there may be an increasing glut on the used market before too long.

Sorry, I just don't get it still, as to me the issues are being moved from one area to another (batteries, their manufacture and disposal for example). I'll keep an open mind though, but the (profiteering?) eye-watering prices of new vehicles purchased or leased are off-putting for many I reckon.

Mtbf

Why are so many EV's here SUV types?
Agreed. Why are so many cars SUV’s anyway. Ugly, cost more, weigh more, use (much) more fuel (e.g. BMW X3 vs. BMW 320i sedan: +30%), insurance more expensive, taxes more expensive, more waste of resources while the world is already going to the dogs. Seems like a flock of sheep story, herd behavior. And very clever marketing of course, selling you something you don’t need, resulting in bigger revenues for the car companies.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed. Why are so many cars SUV’s anyway. Ugly, cost more, weigh more, use (much) more fuel (e.g. BMW X3 vs. BMW 320i sedan: +30%), insurance more expensive, taxes more expensive, more waste of resources while the world is already going to the dogs. Seems like a flock of sheep story, herd behavior. And very clever marketing of course, selling you something you don’t need, resulting in bigger revenues for the car companies.
It is fashion.
The car business is a fashion business and most customers are not in a position to make logical comparisons to choose, so it is brand or image.
One of my colleagues who was a keen cyclist had a BMW 5-series estate car which he kept his bike in. When the X5 was announced with great fanfare he chose one of those. His bike wouldn’t fit in it without removing a wheel.
It was heavier, less aerodynamic so both slower and worse fuel economy and didn’t handle as well with less usable (for him) space inside so he went back to a 5-series.
BMW were amazed since the X5 was a much bigger seller than a 5-series estate. The only explanation is following fashion IMHO.

I had 2 plug in hybrids and they drove really nicely when on electric only, smooth, quiet with instant throttle response. I decided on a full EV since an electric motor is better than an IC engine for a car, it doesn’t need a clutch and just a simple reduction gear so mechanically massively simpler.
It also is even better than the plug in hybrid, which I last put petrol in last November and still has more than half of it left, in that I charge at home, so I never need to visit a petrol station.

The big problem was finding an EV estate car. There are almost none available.
I despise the size and shape of SUVs but have a dog.
I was still pretty happy with my slow but convenient 5 year old PHEV but wanted something faster.
I ended up with a Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo which was literally the only car fitting my requirements, the only question was whether I was prepared to pay what they cost. At the time I ordered it electricity was so cheap I reasoned that I was effectively paying for the first 3 years of fuel by buying the battery (the expensive bit) but now electricity has trebled in price that isn’t as attractive.

Anyway it is perfect for me, quiet and comfortable with an amazing turn of speed when I feel like it and fantastic driver feel, handling and ride.

Overall the best car I’ve ever driven :) My sports car is quicker and fun but the fabulous noise soon gets tiresome and only 2 seats.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not enough charging coverage in this little overcrowded country.
For anybody not having a parking space at home they can run a cable to this is true. I do have and just charge at home so rarely need to visit a charging station. In the last 5 months I have used a DC fast charger 5 times, once was not needed but the charger was there where I was doing some window shopping.
3 times we stopped for a drink, choosing a cafe near a charger, plugged in, went to the cafe, ordered and drank the drink and when we got back to the car had charged more than we strictly needed, so effectively zero delay.
The one time it was limiting was on holiday in Anglesey, the fastest chargers there are 50kW and we plugged into one at a supermarket and did our shopping slowly to get more charge.
So for me one stightly tedious experience in 5 months, otherwise all the charging in the background whilst doing something else.

I keep my sports car for fun bt the rigmarole of having to go and put petrol in it is mega tedious so I don’t usually bother to use it!

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wait, did you already go through 4 EVs and now you’re waiting on the 5th?
We leased a Fiat 500e and then a Spark EV. Those are tiny compliance cars, good for local commutes. We used the hell out of them. The Fiat 500e is a particularly wonderful car, significantly better than even the Fiat 500 Abarth, which is a just plain wonderful car.
Then we got the I-Pace. Fantastic.
Then we got the Model Y. Terrible from the factory, but now with modified suspension, it's a good runabout and can carve canyons.
Now I have the i4 M50. Sublime.
Not enough charging coverage in this little overcrowded country...

Why are so many EV's here SUV types?...

Sorry, I just don't get it still, as to me the issues are being moved from one area to another (batteries, their manufacture and disposal for example). I'll keep an open mind though, but the (profiteering?) eye-watering prices of new vehicles purchased or leased are off-putting for many I reckon.
Until infrastructure catches up, EVs are best suited for those with garages and carports or who drive to work where there's chargers. That already covers a lot of people.

There are plenty of car-shaped EVs: Model S, Model 3, i4, Taycan, Polestar 2. Most of the rest are crossovers/squarish hatches: I-Pace, Golf, Model Y, Ioniq, etc. Very few historically sold are actually fully SUV-sized and shaped. Not sure what people buy in the UK.

EVs are far more efficient and better for the environment on a lifetime level, and their batteries can be reused in stationary situations then recycled, perhaps a couple decades after production. Immensely green in the long term. Most dead EVs get parted out, their batteries and motors often reused in conversions and for repairs.

All new car prices are pretty high these days. That's mostly a COVID/supply chain issue.
Most EVs sold, as well as most vehicles sold, are crossovers, not SUVs. They're just tarted up hatched and wagons. The X3 is a crossover, not an SUV. It's just a 3 series on higher suspension and with much more interior room. The people want better sightlines, more room, and better crash safety. Easier to get in and out of too. My Model Y is lifted a good 1.75", from absurdly low (like 4" of ground clearance) to acceptable. Your perceptions are more marketing and styling than reality.
It is fashion...
The big problem was finding an EV estate car. There are almost none available...
I despise the size and shape of SUVs but have a dog...
I ended up with a Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo which was literally the only car fitting my requirements
Well, the Taycan CT definitely doesn't follow fashion. At least you mostly look out, not at.
The PTC is also a MASSIVE car. Long, wide, and heavy. It's got a normal sedan height, I suppose, despite its body cladding and raised suspension to make it look like an SUV.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For anybody not having a parking space at home they can run a cable to this is true. I do have and just charge at home so rarely need to visit a charging station. In the last 5 months I have used a DC fast charger 5 times, once was not needed but the charger was there where I was doing some window shopping.
3 times we stopped for a drink, choosing a cafe near a charger, plugged in, went to the cafe, ordered and drank the drink and when we got back to the car had charged more than we strictly needed, so effectively zero delay.
The one time it was limiting was on holiday in Anglesey, the fastest chargers there are 50kW and we plugged into one at a supermarket and did our shopping slowly to get more charge.
So for me one stightly tedious experience in 5 months, otherwise all the charging in the background whilst doing something else.

I keep my sports car for fun bt the rigmarole of having to go and put petrol in it is mega tedious so I don’t usually bother to use it!
What is your sports car? I'm very curious what a race car designer/engineer drives for fun.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
We have three electric golf carts at the airport for towing gliders around and general transportation around the club.

They charge overnight.

For some reason, they have a string of six 8 volt lead acid batteries.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We leased a Fiat 500e and then a Spark EV. Those are tiny compliance cars, good for local commutes. We used the hell out of them. The Fiat 500e is a particularly wonderful car, significantly better than even the Fiat 500 Abarth, which is a just plain wonderful car.
Then we got the I-Pace. Fantastic.
Then we got the Model Y. Terrible from the factory, but now with modified suspension, it's a good runabout and can carve canyons.
Now I have the i4 M50.
Wow. Why do you change so frequently, are they rubbish or do they fall apart? We also commute with our cars and “use the hell out of them” but we tend to keep them for 6+ years.

ErVikingo

eTron SUV since 2019. Not a problem with it and only 1 recall for a tail light. Range is NOT practical at 210 miles. Other than that a great car which is very convenient to in town transport needs. It runs on nuclear, gas and fuel oil ( ;) ) just burnt somewhere else.

Paul Ebert

I've had a Chevy Bolt for 5 years. It's been a great commuter car. I've never taken it on a long trip (where it needed a recharge) because even fast charging seemed too slow. I'll never buy an ICE vehicle again. Obviously, my next BEV will need to be suitable for long trips.

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow. Why do you change so frequently, are they rubbish or do they fall apart? We also commute with our cars and “use the hell out of them” but we tend to keep them for 6+ years.
The Fiat was a 2 year lease. Spark was a 3 year lease. We've had the I-Pace for over 4 years. MY for 2. i4 for months. We also have a 10 year old FRS that I barely drive and a 9 year old Forester that the kids now drive. None of these cars are crap.
eTron SUV since 2019. Not a problem with it and only 1 recall for a tail light. Range is NOT practical at 210 miles. Other than that a great car which is very convenient to in town transport needs. It runs on nuclear, gas and fuel oil ( ;) ) just burnt somewhere else.
How often do you drive over 210 miles in a day? For me, that's once or twice a year. Also, we have solar panels.
I've had a Chevy Bolt for 5 years. It's been a great commuter car. I've never taken it on a long trip (where it needed a recharge) because even fast charging seemed too slow. I'll never buy an ICE vehicle again. Obviously, my next BEV will need to be suitable for long trips.
I would consider a few ICEV: Corvette C8 Z06, Ferrari 512 BB, GR Yaris, R32 Skyline GTR, farm tractor (if we move to a large lot). I probably wouldn't drive any of them much, though. Alas, I cannot afford a proper jet. I'd have gotten a Bolt years ago, but I much dislike Chevy seats.

DonR

Major Contributor
My son is looking at buying a new car but will stick to ICE as he lives in an apartment block with no recharging and the UG parking forbids EVs due to battery fire danger. I think this will be the big problem for EVs to overcome in the next few years before widespread adoption. If they can get recharging down to 5-10m and as plentiful as a gas station and solve the battery fire issues, then I think it is over for ICE.

Interesting about the 500e as the ICE ones are generally panned for poor mechanicals.

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My son is looking at buying a new car but will stick to ICE as he lives in an apartment block with no recharging and the UG parking forbids EVs due to RIDICULOUS FEARS OVER A STATISTICALLY MINISCULE battery fire danger. I think FUD will be the big problem for EVs to overcome in the next few years before widespread adoption. If they can get recharging down to 5-10m and as plentiful as a gas station and solve the battery fire issues, then I think it is over for ICE.

Interesting about the 500e as the ICE ones are generally panned for poor mechanicals.
FIFY.

Our 500e had one warranty repair in two years. I think it was a recall. I can't remember what it was. Car was always fine from what we saw. Never needed a tow. I ever hobbled it home once on a totally blown tire. These days, even the most unreliable newish cars are pretty reliable.

Top Bottom