• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pure Electric Vehicles

ErVikingo

How often do you drive over 210 miles in a day? For me, that's once or twice a year. Also, we have solar panels.
Once or twice a week. Tried with the eTron and its silly, it adds 1 hour or more for waiting for a station and actually charging.

I have various 5, 6 and 10 cylinder ICE on the stable. Also 3 feet of foam insulation on a poured concrete home with 24 SEER hvacs, all LED lights.

Work has taken me to many lithium, copper, gold mines and countless power gen facilities. No further comments required.

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Once or twice a week. Tried with the eTron and its silly, it adds 1 hour or more for waiting for a station and actually charging.

I have various 5, 6 and 10 cylinder ICE on the stable. Also 3 feet of foam insulation on a poured concrete home with 24 SEER hvacs, all LED lights.

Work has taken me to many lithium, copper, gold mines and countless power gen facilities. No further comments required.
Wow, that's a lot of long trips. Time for a Lucid!

DonR

Major Contributor
FIFY.

Our 500e had one warranty repair in two years. I think it was a recall. I can't remember what it was. Car was always fine from what we saw. Never needed a tow. I ever hobbled it home once on a totally blown tire. These days, even the most unreliable newish cars are pretty reliable.
I think the original ICE 500 has been plagued with transmission and engine issues.

The fire risk thing is undoubtedly blown out of proportion somewhat but given that battery fires are difficult to extinguish and can happen even when the car is at rest, there is some justification for concern over ICE fires which usually happen when the car is operational and are easier to extinguish. I, personally, don't set policy for my son's apartment building. ;)

ErVikingo

Wow, that's a lot of long trips. Time for a Lucid!
went to the showroom 2 weeks ago. Beautiful interior, exterior not my taste.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve driven 380 km (236 miles) a day for about 2 to 4 days a week for almost 2 years with an EV. Never had an issue and it didn’t cost me any additional time.

Paul Ebert

I’ve driven 380 km (236 miles) a day for about 2 to 4 days a week for almost 2 years with an EV. Never had an issue and it didn’t cost me any additional time.
Which EV? Did you have to charge it? If so, how? What temperatures were you driving in?

Paul Ebert

The Fiat was a 2 year lease. Spark was a 3 year lease. We've had the I-Pace for over 4 years. MY for 2. i4 for months. We also have a 10 year old FRS that I barely drive and a 9 year old Forester that the kids now drive. None of these cars are crap.

How often do you drive over 210 miles in a day? For me, that's once or twice a year. Also, we have solar panels.

I would consider a few ICEV: Corvette C8 Z06, Ferrari 512 BB, GR Yaris, R32 Skyline GTR, farm tractor (if we move to a large lot). I probably wouldn't drive any of them much, though. Alas, I cannot afford a proper jet. I'd have gotten a Bolt years ago, but I much dislike Chevy seats.
The C8 is tempting because it looks so cool (to me) and because I had a very small role in its development - I worked on its Central Gateway Module. But, I'm very committed to a fossil fuel free lifestyle, so I'd have to resist.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Which EV? Did you have to charge it? If so, how? What temperatures were you driving in?
Kia e-Niro. In the summer it could do it without charging. In the winter, not quite. I always had a long stop with (slow) charging possibly. And even in the rare occasions that that was not possible, a 15 min DC charge was enough to get me home. At home 32A overnight gives me enough for the next day.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We have three electric golf carts at the airport for towing gliders around and general transportation around the club.

They charge overnight.

For some reason, they have a string of six 8 volt lead acid batteries.
As long as weight, size and range aren't big concerns, lead-acid is a time honored solution. Replacements are cheap and widely available.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"while the 64 kWh version offers 455 km (283 mi) of WLTP range” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia_Niro)

Hats off to you, the anxiety would probably just kill me at this age.

I had a cool BMW a long time ago which I once drove to 40km left in the tank (real, based on refueling amount - the car showed 0 for almost an hour of driving). It was in the wilderness too, so overall an experience that I would never want to repeat.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is your sports car? I'm very curious what a race car designer/engineer drives for fun.
Ferrari F355 spider
Edit to add
For fun it needs :-
No roof
3 pedals
6-speed gearbox
Normally aspirated high revving engine
No driver aids like traction or stability control - the Ferrari does have early crude ABS but everything else is for me to control.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow. Why do you change so frequently, are they rubbish or do they fall apart? We also commute with our cars and “use the hell out of them” but we tend to keep them for 6+ years.
Me too, I only keep a car less than 6 years if I don’t like it, and that has only happened once in almost 50 years, and that was backache inducing seats and stuffy climate control in an otherwise good car!

ErVikingo

the eTron (now known as the Q8 eTron has a range of 210 maximum. It shows 1% battery when you hit 200 miles and it starts to shutoff systems. Waiting (actually extended the lease) on the new version which reportedly gets 300 miles. Its a fantastic car and its great especially for my wife and daughter as they dont have to stop at gas stations, zero downtime for oil changes etc.

ErVikingo

Ferrari F355 spider
Edit to add
For fun it needs :-
No roof
3 pedals
6-speed gearbox
Normally aspirated high revving engine
No driver aids like traction or stability control - the Ferrari does have early crude ABS but everything else is for me to control.
Very cool. Like the 355. I used to race 911, RSR and GT3Rs (997 and 991) and now R8LMS GT3. When I spent some time in the UK (West Sussex) transportation was provided by a Tuscan S and a VRod. R8Plus, 911 SC R, TTRS and a vintage 69 911S are the daily drivers when not in the eTron.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ferrari F355 spider
Sweet ride. I found a green one...LoL. Is it green?
zzzzzzzzzzz DSC_9945-tiny-2048x0-0.5x0.jpg

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
went to the showroom 2 weeks ago. Beautiful interior, exterior not my taste.
I do dislike the exterior, but my mom loves it. She's getting the i4 too. They'll take the Lexus hybrid when they go long distances, which shouldn't be for many more years anyway.
The C8 is tempting because it looks so cool (to me) and because I had a very small role in its development - I worked on its Central Gateway Module. But, I'm very committed to a fossil fuel free lifestyle, so I'd have to resist.
I think the C8 looks better from afar but not as good close up or sitting in one. It really is a large car. I'm of the opinion that a sports car should be no more than 70" wide and 170" long, and preferably smaller. But that engine. If I still went to the track, I think that'd be the perfect home to track and back again vehicle. Too bad the 993 911 has such sky-high pricing. They're even better for the road.
As long as weight, size and range aren't big concerns, lead-acid is a time honored solution. Replacements are cheap and widely available.
As long as you don't mind lots of explosive hydrogen gas and poor performance. Actually, there were some EV drag cars that used (and maybe still use) lead acid. They could poor out immense amounts of power in brief runs.
The body cladding is optional. I didn’t need it.
It has 20mm more ride height (~3/4”) than the saloon. It is nothing like a crossover, maybe American terminology is different from English here - it often is. The extra bump travel gives a better ride on the terrible roads around here which is why I chose it over the Sports Turismo.

The “Cross” in the name is for cross country not crossover :facepalm: it is a big car though, its worst feature, and the same weight as a RangeRover but probably near half the drag. Most EVs are heavy because of the battery, the Taycan CT4S is a bit lighter than the BMW i4 M50 I also considered.

Here in England the X3 is sold as a SUV as is the Polestar which is far too high to be considered a saloon. Your opinions are pretty weird from an English perspective but the car market and conditions are very different to here as well.
The body cladding and ride height increase are all about the crossover advantages, though. What is a Golf Alltrack? Is it a hot hatch? A crossover? An SUV? The lines and definitions are blurry. These days, I call it an SUV when it's body on frame. Otherwise I call it a crossover or, in the case of something like the Telluride, a minivan without sliding doors.

We take our dog in all our cars, but then he only weights 11 lbs.

Also, the skateboard design of SUVs often means that the ride height gets lifted a bit, which explains why so many are crossovers. Ian Callum solved the EV skateboard chassis design problem with the I-Pace, and then almost every other stylist copied him, from the Mach-E to the Ioniq. The huge wheels and ride height are part of making the overall look work. With a longer, wider car like the Taycan, you can go in a different design direction.

8T_BoCO

RWD i4 here, which is our first EV. We had to wait a little over 4 months for it. The AWD version had supply-chain issues, causing some to wait more than a year and with proper winter tires, RWD isn't an issue. The lack of ground clearance is likely more of a limiting factor for winter storm travel.

The quietness of the ride, and the more comfortable interior are major advantages over the ICE it replaced. It goes hand-in-glove with our rooftop PV, after installing a 50A circuit. No long trips, yet. As the weather warms, the miles/kW efficiency is still increasing. The practicality of a lift-back sold easily us over the TM3.
The dealer experience at Hyundai made us visit BMW instead.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A slightly off-topic UK-Centric whinge follows, so ignore if you want :)…Still a few Teslas though around and about (bloody ugly things I think ;) ) and a few hybrids noticed. Our crowded town and city streets…

We’ve been all electric for a couple years now (Models 3 and Y), but I personally would not want one in the UK or EU - the turning circle is too wide. Sometimes we even have trouble in our Chicago alley! They’re otherwise pretty much peerless for wide American roads though.

I share your disdain for SUVs and and the like. However…in the mid-21st a family of 4 with two young kids needs a third row if you’re ever going to drive someone else around, because of the car seats needed to align young bodies for compatibility with passive safety equipment and to provide them a measure of protection from it. (The irony of a seat primarily there to protect kids from the airbags!) By the standards of occasional 7-seaters Model Y is a reasonable size and about as small as they get in the US, even if you lower your standards to accept a toxic dead algae burner. OTOH I saw VW’s ID BUZZ at a pop up in Vienna last fall and thought it was great. It also has a smaller footprint than Model Y! Had that been available a couple years ago it would have merited serious consideration.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These days, I call it an SUV when it's body on frame. Otherwise I call it a crossover or, in the case of something like the Telluride, a minivan without sliding doors.
Ah!
OK then the American, or at least your, definition is different in English, there are very few body on frame vehicles left here, and "sports" isnt a prefix I'd attach to many of them!
Here everything from Land Rover, BMWs "X" models and almost all Mercedes these days here are marketed as SUVs, (22 SUVs listed against 8 saloons on M-B UK website).
I had no idea what a Telluride is, not a vehicle I have ever heard of so I did an internet search for Telluride and only found a Kia SUV called that, definitely an SUV by the English definition and referred to as such on their website.
Also, the skateboard design of SUVs often means that the ride height gets lifted a bit, which explains why so many are crossovers. Ian Callum solved the EV skateboard chassis design problem with the I-Pace, and then almost every other stylist copied him, from the Mach-E to the Ioniq. The huge wheels and ride height are part of making the overall look work. With a longer, wider car like the Taycan, you can go in a different design direction.
Ian, an old colleague of mine, did a lovely job of the i-Pace styling but it is still considered a crossover rather than a car here, and the Ioniq 5 and Mach-E too.

I see the "divided by a common language" phrase is just as true with vehicles as with so many other things!

Gregm

Goodness, there are some impressive and expensive cars in play here!
By comparison we only have one car (Volvo polestar), and even that is on lease :)!

Top Bottom