• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What cables do you use in your systems?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use a mix of what comes with the components I purchased, Blue Jeans Cable, and modest cost but well built stuff I find on Amazon.

Get a hearing test

Got cables for 2-5 eur and a few different pairs of ghent cables for 15-20 eur. The short ones somehow sound worse than a bit longer ones. If the cables arent junk theyll sound fine.

gallionetech

What cables do you use in your systems?

Interconnects:

Speaker cable:

Coax cable:

USB cable:

Power cable:

If your looking for a non snake oily custom cable for your headphones or interconnects, I highly recommend https://fogcityaudio.com/. I ordered XLR patch cables & headphone cables and they turned them around in only 3 days. I just wanted a paracord cable as I like the material, and these are reasonably priced for custom cables IMO.

I own $4000 in JPS Labs cables (USB, Power, Headphone, and Interconnect cables - i regret buying all of these). I notice absolutely 0 difference between those cables and the stock cables for my Topping unit. I highly recommend you only purchase standard cables, and if your going for looks/custom lengths/etc go for something like fogcityaudio or another well rated seller on Etsy IMO.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I own $4000 in JPS Labs cables (USB, Power, Headphone, and Interconnect cables - i regret buying all of these).
You have my sympathy.
I notice absolutely 0 difference between those cables and the stock cables for my Topping unit. I highly recommend you only purchase standard cables,
A great recommendation!
and if your going for looks/custom lengths/etc go for something like fogcityaudio or another well rated seller on Etsy IMO.
There are places you can purchase various sleeves/coverings to improve the bling factor of inexpensive quality cables. ;)

gino1961

Speaking of diy :) i make my power cords with that extension cable usually orange outside very flexible and iec and schuko plugs from 5 to 10 euro each
A good flexibility means multiple very thin wires inside instead of fewer thicker ones
For rca cables i like good quality mini coaxials
As an alternative i have used for analog spdif digital cables off the shelf
Rca connectors are an issue Very good ones cost a lot I love Cardas rcas
They fit very well on rca sockets
I was able to lift a cd player with just one cable plugged in

Audiofire

I found an old USB cable in a box with a beefy ferrite bead. Bought Cordial CFU 1.5 m unbalanced cables for connecting my old hi-fi equipment to the USB sound card. I think this company deserves our support when it dispels audiophoolery on the packaging (see attachment).

Attachments

• IMAG0633.jpg
    IMAG0633.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 75

subframe

I mostly make my own, using Redco cable and Neutrik or Redco connectors. Sometimes if I’m lazy I’ll just order custom ones and have Redco build them.

izeek

1. bjc lc1

2. custom bjc 4s11 in biamp config

3. audiocrast 3 core 10awg pc(amazon)

4. fospower optical cable(amazon)

ribonucleic

You can pretty much guarantee that all cables, wire or connectors on eBay from China are fakes. If the price is too good to be true, it's probably fake.

Martin

In fairness, it’s probably even worse on Amazon.

prerich

Believe it or not, I'm using the GearIT brand from Amazon - does the job...comes with connectors - works...I'm satisfied.

TankTop

I like maze audio cables. Their website is ALMOST void of any audiofoolery and their products are well built and look amazing. I purchase purely for the aesthetics. Do they do anything more than just look good, not really.

prerich

I like maze audio cables. Their website is ALMOST void of any audiofoolery and their products are well built and look amazing. I purchase purely for the aesthetics. Do they do anything more than just look good, not really.
I understand buying a cable just for the aesthetics (as long as it does what it's supposed to do). For power cables, I use monoscable has the look of the maze audio power cables, but only cost me $21 - $25 bucks (I catch the sales). They're UL listed and safe....and look good.

Adi777

In fact, cables are the most important thing in an audio system.

Ricardus

I understand buying a cable just for the aesthetics (as long as it does what it's supposed to do). For power cables, I use monoscable has the look of the maze audio power cables, but only cost me $21 - $25 bucks (I catch the sales). They're UL listed and safe....and look good.
I'm completely baffled by this. The cables I build look fine.

Klonatans

Forum Donor
Goldkabel and Supra speaker cables, Oehlbach interconnects, USB, coaxial and optical cables, Amazon Basics and generic optical and USB cables, Supra and generic mains cables.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ethernet, USB, balanced, and banana plug-terminated wire, in that order

Top Bottom