• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC : what choice in 2023 for a small budget?

Paulbi

Hi everyone. I’m looking for a DAC to do this job : I have an old but fantastic hi-fi system (Cabasse Cotre / Yamaha R-S700). I want to listen my Apple Music library in ALAC format from my iPhone. I would like a transparent but optimum sound quality DAC. And moreover, I can’t spend more than 400€. I’m lost in the DAC world, don’t know about chipset qualities. I saw affordable products from Yamaha (maybe it could be good to plug Yamaha in Yamaha amp?).
What can you advise me? Thanks! Paul.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
How is the music going to get from your phone to your DAC? Does it need Bluetooth input, or do you have another device capable of feeding it via a cable?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Topping DX3Pro+ as DAC/preamp (and headphone amplifier when and if you need one) about 200 € + WiiM Mini streamer that you connect to the DX3Pro+ trough optical I/O. About 100€ or less.
You control DX3Pro+ with remote and WiiM with phone app (WiiM and phone need to be on same WiFi network trough rooter).

OP
P

Paulbi

How is the music going to get from your phone to your DAC? Does it need Bluetooth input, or do you have another device capable of feeding it via a cable?
Wifi/AirPlay, better than Bluetooth to transfer Hi-Res files.

TheWalkman

$10. Sounds great.

This also comes in a Lighning plug version. If you have an old iPhone, you can stream from it.

If you don’t have a USB C port on your laptop or phone or a 3.5 mini plug to RCA cable to connect from the dongle to your amp, you may need to spend an additional $10.

This solution works great.

OP
P

Paulbi

Topping DX3Pro+ as DAC/preamp (and headphone amplifier when and if you need one) about 200 € + WiiM Mini streamer that you connect to the DX3Pro+ trough optical I/O. About 100€ or less.
You control DX3Pro+ with remote and WiiM with phone app (WiiM and phone need to be on same WiFi network trough rooter
DLNA is still the best for that.
Yamaha WXC-50 is DLNA certified. Do you know this product?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Yamaha WXC-50 is DLNA certified. Do you know this product?
I do but that is a integrated power amplifier 2x 50W @ 8 Ohms with Musicast (Yamaha streaming platform).
I don't think you need one if Yamaha R-S700 is in a good shape which I find quit nice and in class with today's A-S 701, A-S 801 or R-N803/R-N803D just analog only.

OP
P

Paulbi

You control DX3Pro+ with remote and WiiM with phone app (WiiM and phone need to be on same WiFi network trough rooter).
Why DXPro+ and WiiM Mini together? What’s the benefit over WiiM Pro alone (for example)?

Zek

Major Contributor
...but that is a integrated power amplifier 2x 50W @ 8 Ohms with Musicast.....
You obviously confused WXC-50 with WXA-50, the first is a wireless streaming preamplifier and the second is a wireless streaming amplifier.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why DXPro+ and WiiM Mini together? What’s the benefit over WiiM Pro alone (for example)?
The DX3pro+ would offer a much better DAC and an excellent headphone amp, as well as more inputs than those available on the Wiim Pro. If you have no desire for a headphone amp I would go with a Topping E30ii and a Wiim Pro which would would cost less than €300.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
WiiM Mini is a WiFi streamer and all do it has its own DAC it's not great one nor particularly good implemented so you use it as optical out to better DAC. DX3Pro+ is a much better DAC with volume controls on line out (preamp) and bunch of other stuff including Bluetooth and LDAC codec which is only one to recommend to use and even that if you really really insist on BT but tied to Android phones.

OP
P

Paulbi

I’ve found WiiM mini, first part of the streaming Hi-Res musics on my Yamaha R-S700 and Cabasse Cotre. Now I’m waiting for a Topping E30ii.
Just to know : Zolalll said that DLNA is the best protocol to transfer Hi-Res music. But how can I stream Apple Music 24bits files with DLNA?

Overseas

Major Contributor
Take care with the Mini, do not stress the optical port with too many plug-unplugs.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I’ve found WiiM mini, first part of the streaming Hi-Res musics on my Yamaha R-S700 and Cabasse Cotre. Now I’m waiting for a Topping E30ii.
Just to know : Zolalll said that DLNA is the best protocol to transfer Hi-Res music. But how can I stream Apple Music 24bits files with DLNA?
On which phone? I have Sony with in build DLNA server. I guess you have iPhone.
Good old VLC is great but as you want music only try the Evermusic.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very cool speakers - do not worry about sound quality too much. Any DAC with a SINAD above 95 or so will be fine for any use. I'd focus on connectivity and interface.

OP
P

Paulbi

Yes i have an iPhone. So do you think i should change hi-res music offer (switch to Qobuz or Tidal), or at first keep Apple Music ?

Top Bottom