• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA entering into administration - comparable to Chapter 11 in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To me, MQA was indeed "a solution in search of a problem" once internet speeds skyrocketed. But the ridiculous and quickly disproven claim that an MQA-processed signal somehow "sounded better" than the input smacked of a cynical attempt to collect licensing fees based on smoke and mirrors.

And Hi-Res audio will probably wither on the vine, too. You're buying inaudible numbers.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
DACs with MQA decoders will be the equivalent of 1970s receivers with Dolby FM decoders. Just funny curiosities from times gone by.

See them at the goodwill, and think to yourself- Ah, that failed format nobody wanted or needed and pass it by, even with the $3 price tag.

Reinet (Richemont) boss (owner's son Anton/Anthony) has pullled the plug I'd say.

1680831303644.png

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 277618
Funny how dead people can be on a company board... Anthony Edward Rupert has been dead since 2006! So this must be his son Johan whose company owns about 25% of MQA.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Redbook claims another victim. Like one of those time traveling bullets from Tenet.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I can’t find much about Muse Holdings sarl
I presume this is the Luxembourg company?

AndrewC

I met Bob Stuart some time ago. Out of the earshot of others, as I didn't want to embarrass him, I asked him why he 'started' MQA and what problem was it solving ?
I wonder if Bob will get "reabsorbed" into Meridian.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
i am reminded of a throwaway line from the "Lethal Weapon" movies...

when you hear news like this my first thought is... "my day is looking better already"

HOWEVER... there's a big caveat... if its like Chapter 11 the company may very well trade out into profitability, eventually

I hesitate to say that its over. It may not be. There's value in the existing contracts with hardware and service vendors.

To me thought it does put egg on the faces of all the electronics companies who went into this.
Chapter 11 in the US can be successful (a relative term, depending on your involvement) for companies that need to reorganize their capital structure. Sometimes companies file for Ch. 11 but wind up in Ch. 7, which is liquidation.

The list of equity holders is interesting but the culprit is almost certainly a debt holder. Obviously it is possible there's overlap. Many start ups receive their earliest money in the form of convertible preferred notes, a form of debt, in order to place those investors above the equity holders in the cap stack.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DACs with MQA decoders will be the equivalent of 1970s receivers with Dolby FM decoders. Just funny curiosities from times gone by.
Excellent analogy!
Don't remind me of that film. I feel like sending Nolan an invoice for my wasted time.
I guess I dodged that bullet. My first similar experience was leaving the theater genuinely angry after wasting 2 hours of my life after watching Twister.

DavidMcRoy

See them at the goodwill, and think to yourself- Ah, that failed format nobody wanted or needed and pass it by, even with the $3 price tag.

Reinet (Richemont) boss (owner's son Anton/Anthony) has pullled the plug I'd say.

View attachment 277618
I was working in American FM broadcasting during that time. Dolby FM was doomed from conception because it wasn't literally backward-compatible. It added compression to the highs with complementary expansion in the decoder. The result was that 99.999% of listeners (those with no Dolby FM decoder) heard a bright, noisy signal. The station I was working at at the time was offered free use of a unit to test on air so we (and all the other stations in the market) could hear it in operation. We left it in the audio signal path for about a month, I think, and everyone hated it on normal radios so we ditched it. I think there was a similar scheme in European FM broadcasting called "CX" (?) that may have gained some traction there.

JktHifi

New codec from MQA Ltd:

SCL6 delivers detail and clarity by focussing on the time domain – a critical factor in the human perception of high-resolution sound. This fresh perspective enables an exceptional audio experience and responds to rising consumer demand for better wireless sound. The technology supports both MQA and PCM audio up to 384kHz, and the encoded data rate can be scaled seamlessly from 20Mbps to below 200kbps, covering Bluetooth, Ultra-Wideband (UWB) and WiFi links. It offers low latency and high efficiency for extended battery life.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Admittedly I've mostly ignored the MQA controversy.

Can someone explain to the village idiot what this means, and what are the implications?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Admittedly I've mostly ignored the MQA controversy.

Can someone explain to the village idiot what this means, and what are the implications?
It appears they made a new CODEC and they want global influence and control of the CODECs so that their CODEC is a exclusive and makes lots of money. The CODEC apparently has issues from what I've read here. They are attempting to take control with their CODEC and have it installed in DACs etc so that people use MQA media.

Last edited:

Avp1

It appears they made a new CODEC and they want global influence and control of the CODECs so that theirs CODEC is a exclusive and makes lots of money. The CODEC apparently has issues from what I've read here. They are attempting to take control with their CODEC and have it installed in DACs etc so that people use MQA media.

They wanted to become new Dolby or DTS, using methods copied from what Sony did to promote SACD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom