• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music You Strongly Dislike (Just For Fun)

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Suede.

Whinny pseudo Bowie impersonation by the lead singer in particular.
Grim.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Any and all things grunge.

Fortunately, despite all the damage it did, it seems to have faded to complete obscurity. Unless it is still being recorded and I'm blissfully unaware, as I wish I had been the first time.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ll comment on the music. I can’t stand rap or hip-hop.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bands that thinks they are completely new subgenre because they missed a beat , puked in the drum kit or whatever :)

Metal and hip-hop and house are guilty of rapid sub-genre Inflation . The whole point of genre is broad generalisation, but no “we are so unique and special we are our own genre” :D hubris anyone ?

henologist

My big pet peeve these days is trend-riding, especially in dance music. It felt like every few years a neat new scene would come out of some internet subculture, and then it starts leaking into the mainstream, someone sands the edges off and makes commercially successful music with it, and the original contributors to the subculture end up forgotten and broke. I lived through that happening with vaporwave/city pop revival and "hyperpop", then it happened with hardcore dance, now it's happening with psytrance. In retrospect, the same thing happened with breaks and progressive trance in the 90s and dubstep in the 10s. I guess it's just how commercial dance music works. The same thing will probably happen with funk carioca in a few months (and boy do I doubt people on ASR will be excited about hearing more funk carioca).

Chr1

Forum Donor
Bands that thinks they are completely new subgenre because they missed a beat , puked in the drum kit or whatever :)

Metal and hip-hop and house are guilty of rapid sub-genre Inflation . The whole point of genre is broad generalisation, but no “we are so unique and special we are our own genre” :D hubris anyone ?
Kinda get how metal is an evolution of heavy rock and house of disco.

Reckon hip hop was a new genre myself...

Though I would have to say The Last Poets kicked it all off...

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor

1680121017776.png

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ace of Base are the devil's work for sure.

Barbie Girl is so bad, it's almost good
Thier absolutely horrifying “production values” the mere sound of “all that she wants” , it makes red hot chilli peppers loudest masters sounding like audiophile demo discs and not because of an overly hot master but the (un)artistic choices and general sound :)

Btw why is the bass always terrible on the most popular pop music it’s a one note “whump” you can barely separate drum bass or synth it’s melded to some horrible general background pulsation , how can any producer or band actually prefer this ?

A positive example of the opposite :)

Paul’s Young - Wherever I Lay My Hat , featuring Pino Palladino on frethless bass .

( sq of video is terrible sorry )

henologist

Always hated these tracks for how shallow and grossly sentimental they felt in a time full of other people doing the same thing infinitely better. Horrendous choruses.

spigot

LPs written by anyone over the age of 31 (adding a year to be generous). It's only possible to be consistently creative with 'A' grade material in your 20's, brains aren't up to the task of plucking melodies out of thin air much beyond that.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LPs written by anyone over the age of 31 (adding a year to be generous). It's only possible to be consistently creative with 'A' grade material in your 20's, brains aren't up to the task of plucking melodies out of thin air much beyond that.
Does that include any of these guys who's music has lasted centuries.
1680127675563.jpeg

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Beethoven was 53 when he wrote the 9th Symphony. Plucked it out of thin air while deaf with horrible tinnitus.

But it’s true he didn’t write an LP

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Barbie Girl is so bad, it's almost good

My big sister's Aqua CDs were my jam when my chronological age was in single digits. Any moral and aesthetic depravity I now suffer can be laid at the feet of those oversaturated nordic pop nightmares.

Top Bottom