• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music You Strongly Dislike (Just For Fun)

Brofeld

...hate the eagles...
Don't know if this story is actually true, but if not, it's at least a good story:

"he (Burnett) had a tough time securing the rights to Townes Van Zandt's cover of the Rolling Stones' "Dead Flowers", which plays over the film's closing credits. Former Stones manager Allen Klein owned the rights to the song and wanted $150,000 for it. Burnett convinced Klein to watch an early cut of the film and remembers, "It got to the part where the Dude says, 'I hate the fuckin' Eagles, man!' Klein stands up and says, 'That's it, you can have the song!' That was beautiful."

D

Deleted member 48726

hahaha, there it is, there it is! More Than Words by Extreme.

This compilation would sound great in a bonfire.
I would rescue Is This Love by Whitesnake which I like even if it is maudlin metal.

Different genre, but I can't stand REM.
The Power of Christ compels you!

Urgh, think I threw up in my mouth a bit..

Axo1989

Major Contributor
They're actually called panpipes. That will help you to avoid them. I don't mind them for the music meant for them, but there's a whole genre of using panpipes to play other forms of music and that stuff is maddening.

Your suggestion would lead to lots of rap music with panpipe backing tracks, about rare and expensive panpipes, bling panpipes made out of gold everywhere and a few panpipe players on the wrong end of gang feuds. So probably not really a good idea.

I often enjoy hip-hop/rap in different languages. Rap from Japan for example, there being some really great tracks produced by DJ Krush, etc. Even different accents, like Australian are fun. I'm now mildly fascinated by the idea of indigenous Peruvian rap. That could take inspiration from this clip, which is crying out for traditional Andean siku I reckon:

... way too short, here's some more for you jazz hip/hop fans:

I know this is meant to be about music we dislike, I'll get back to that.

Last edited:

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Genre: Hip Hop, Rap, German Schlager, Non melodic Jazz, modern mainstream music.
There is A LOT of music I strongly dislike, actually. :'D

Chr1

Forum Donor
Clannad. Enya..."New Age" type s**t...

And opera.

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Genre: Hip Hop, Rap, German Schlager, Non melodic Jazz, modern mainstream music.
There is A LOT of music I strongly dislike, actually. :'D

You reminded me of more stuff to dislike: bluesy cover band shite with that depressing 12-bar thing going on and on and on (reminds me of too much sun/alcohol in public parks and tacky pub gardens).

Or rotunda jazz-in-the-park stuff. Same nightmare.

Also: music that relies on melodies—especially catchy ones—people who produce ear-worms have their own circle of hell waiting.

melvinjames

Forum Donor
50's Doo-Wop, early Country and Western, polka

Steve Miller and the Beach Boys top my list of bands that make me lunge for the dial (so to speak). Other wince-inducers include Billy Joel, Aerosmith, Wings, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rush, Dave Mathews ...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
OK, I’ll play too…

Tiny Tim
Bruce I can’t sing steen
Any Hollywood Actor who think because they are rich and famous that they can sing too….
Bob Segar (lost a GF over Tickets to the Concert). Mostly evokes a bad memory.
Boston except their original album
Greatful Dead
Peter Frampton
Polkas
Kiss

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, I’ll play too…

Tiny Tim
Bruce I can’t sing steen
Any Hollywood Actor who think because they are rich and famous that they can sing too….
Greatful Dead
Peter Frampton
Polkas
Kiss
A music teacher of mine was asked if he liked Boston.

"Yeah, that song of theirs is pretty catchy"
"Which song do you mean?"
"They have more than one?"

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
French singer Francis Cabrel.
I hear a note, I switch the radio down.
I just can't stand this guy.

Strauss waltz. Especially on january 1st ;-)

D

Deleted member 48726

I admit I had to watch it a dozen times but eventually as I squinted and concentrated real hard I think I saw a glimpse. I have circled it as a helpful service so others don't have to watch the video as many times as I-->

View attachment 275640
Youtube was fast to notice that I apparently am into guitars all of a sudden.. Now she is on front page. :facepalm:

827000 subscribers. And you should take a look at the sad commentaries. Jeez..

1680097625081.png

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Rap, country, opera, disco and big band music.

Now I've actually heard a few in each genre that I do like, but a very small percentage except for opera. NO OPERA PLEASE! EVER!

Even with opera, there is some music I like as long as they don't sing.

Oh, and Phil Spector Wall of Sound Atrocities. I actually really dig much of the music, but it is in spite of Spector's attempts to make it unlistenable. Would have done him no good were I on the jury.
A big +1 on big band. Ugh.

And the whole class of acts like Journey, Boston, Chicago.

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
OK, I’ll play too…

Tiny Tim
Bruce I can’t sing steen
Greatful Dead
Peter Frampton
Polkas
Kiss
Okay this is all very amusing. Quite a few chuckles. I too really despise the Bruce Springsteen working man cosplay thing. And the jingoistic patriotic shit.

Whoever said that earlier is brilliant. But…. In his album ‘The Ghost of Tom Joad’ he pulls really art out from somewhere. It is frigging fantastic. Like a completely different personality did it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom