• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the point of upsampling?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You can read the Benchmark link I posted in the quoted message.

This is from Hi-Fi News' test of the Weiss DAC501:

There's a note buried in Weiss's technical white paper alluding to the DAC50x's use of an asymmetric/off-centre re-clocking frequency (195kHz) – a technique also employed by Hegel.

Again, the ESS DAC’s already do it for you.. and the sample rate is even much, much higher than 195 kHz.

Besides, we haven’t seen any super special jitter performance from any of these devices, nor do the ESS DAC’s seem to do better than the SOTA AKMs.

Last edited:

tuga

Major Contributor
Again, the ESS DAC’s already do it for you.. and the sample rate is even much, much higher than 195 kHz.
Weiss and Siau have chosen to do it for a reason and I presume with performance gains. Are you suggesting that they’re wrong (and you know better)?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Weiss and Siau have chosen to do it for a reason and I presume with performance gains. Are you suggesting that they’re wrong (and you know better)?
I’m suggesting that they have a nice marketing story. If they are so sure that they are right, they can show some measurements.

tuga

Major Contributor
I’m suggesting that they have a nice marketing story. If they are so sure that they are right, they can show some measurements.
Benchmark and Weiss DACs produce top measurements.

tuga

Major Contributor
Sure, but better than others? And if so, is that attributable to the jitter story?
They claim that it improves their implementation. That's all that matters, really. You will never be able to confirm this unless they publish measurements. You can't compare with other DACs, too many variables at play.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They claim that it improves their implementation. That's all that matters, really.
Lots of companies claim all kinds of things… just because some actually make good products does not mean the claims are also true.
You will never be able to confirm this unless they publish measurements.
That’s exactly what I asked for ;)

tuga

Major Contributor
Lots of companies claim all kinds of things… just because some actually make good products does not mean the claims are also true.
This is where I disagree. I don't think that either Weiss nor Benchmark make high performance products by accident.
Yes it would be nice to see proof of their claims but if I remember correctly the Benchmark DAC 1 was the benchmark when it came out in several measured parameters including jitter.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is where I disagree. I don't think that either Weiss nor Benchmark make high performance products by accident.
Did I say they did?
Yes it would be nice to see proof of their claims but if I remember correctly the Benchmark DAC 1 was the benchmark when it came out in several measured parameters including jitter.
That still doesn't prove anything.

tuga

Major Contributor
Well, yes. It doesn't prove any of the specific claims they made. All we have is their word for it. Around here, that usually means you'll need to do better. Why would these companies get a free pass?
I don't think that they claim it's the best approach. They merely inform us that it is their chosen approach (Weiss doesn't even do that). The measured performance speaks for itself. I find this ASR Mythbuster posture a bit tiresome to be honest. It's up there with the "bits is bits" dogma.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

notsodeadlizard

Perhaps I need to learn more about digital sampling itself, but I just can't fathom what upsampling is supposed to do? Like from 44.1 to 192 gets me what exactly in the end?
This question is best asked by professional DAC developers, because they are the ones who use upsampling for some purpose, to implement filters for example.
Since there are no DAC developers here, the answers will be varied (to say the least).

tuga

Major Contributor
I think it is an unavoidable part of the "Science" part of the forum name.

Do it through measurements. No need for snarky remarks and the paranoid attitude.

What dogma would that be?

That digital transmission and decoding/conversion is perfect. Or even audibly prefect.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This question is best asked by professional DAC developers, because they are the ones who use upsampling for some purpose, to implement filters for example.
Since there are no DAC developers here, the answers will be varied (to say the least).
Some professional DAC developers (whatever that means) think oversampling and delta-sigma are evil…. So yeah, answers will always be varied.

tuga

Major Contributor

Siau, Carsten and Loesch, also Brüggemann and Laako have posted here (but may have been driven away).

KSTR

Major Contributor
The main purpose of oversampling in DACs and ADCs has been explained many times: Reduce the constraints for the analog anti-aliasing (for ADCs) and anti-imaging (for DACs) filters. With oversampling the bulk of the filtering can be done in the digital domain, allowing much steeper filters -- up to the theoretical ideal, the true sinc() filter.
Off-chip oversampling and filtering offers a way to realize arbitrary and supposedly better filters than on-chip filters which are limited by hardware resources and practical constraints.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The first DAC I designed was back in the 70's (R2R ladder), but who is counting... :)

Top Bottom