• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

News flash: First " new fundamental technology in audio since the 1970's"

luft262

200k and not even a spinorama to speak of...

dorakeg

I can't find anything about this new technology outside the market speak of Daniel Hertz website. Wondering if anyone here has an inkling what they're on about?

"Mark Levinson and his team of Daniel Hertz audio engineers have developed a new class of audio chips with embedded C-wave (continuous wave) software called Mighty Cat. Mighty Cat, combined with new Daniel Hertz audio architecture and speakers, are the first products to deliver the experience of pure analog from any digital source, including streaming"

Heck of a deal for $200,000

no idea, but its by Mark Levinson. The mark Levinson...

But I am impressed by the sensitivity of M1, 100db!!

JSmith

Master Contributor
Heck of a deal for $200,000
" Daniel Hertz C Wave fills in the spaces of the PCM digital audio waveform with original musical information - not sound effects - which enables the brain to respond like to pure analog., with no fatigue or stress reaction."
scanners-head.gif

I'd suggest the only stress reaction here is the price and associated snake oil.

JSmith

redstang

scanners-head.gif

I'd suggest the only stress reaction here is the price and associated snake oil.

JSmith

When I read the words "fills in the spaces of the PCM digital audio waveform with original musical information" that's almost what my head did. I started reading that statement thinking it was serious and had to do a double WTF and read it again to make sure I had read it right.

radix

Major Contributor
When I read the words "fills in the spaces of the PCM digital audio waveform with original musical information" that's almost what my head did. I started reading that statement thinking it was serious and had to do a double WTF and read it again to make sure I had read it right.
Maybe when they say "original musical information" they mean original -> novel, as in "i'm just making it up right now" and musical -> it sounds ok, but it was not your actual music. Anyway, sounds like a perpetual motion machine that's creating something out of nothing.

redstang

Maybe when they say "original musical information" they mean original -> novel, as in "i'm just making it up right now" and musical -> it sounds ok, but it was not your actual music. Anyway, sounds like a perpetual motion machine that's creating something out of nothing.
Except there's literally nothing to create, as there's nothing missing.

notsodeadlizard

Mark has always been the consummate salesman. I guess that over the years he's sold it all. Often times whatever he sold today contradicted what he was selling yesterday. But audiophiles have poor memory, and he always had an explanation for any of life's audio related discrepancies.

Did buyers get their money's worth? One thing's for sure, they got something no one else at the time (or few else) were selling.

Mark went from "You have to have a pro audio solution for your front end (LNP-2)" to, "No, that's not right, you need total minimalism"--the ML6 preamp (you needed two, in four boxes, for stereo). Each featuring a source selector and a volume pot.

Then he began selling the most insane EQ/preamp anyone could have ever imagined, because all those bad recordings required individual EQ! Sure, it was expensive, and even his old MLAS customers had a hard time relating to his new price sheet. But it wasn't like you didn't get something for your dollar--I mean, I never encountered a rotary knob on a preamp that used precision ball bearing races--at least before the Cello stuff. Those pots alone probably cost as much most folk's entire system.

Then there was 'consumer union' Mark. The Red Rose days, where he'd sell the 'average music lover' a rebranded 'value oriented' Chinese import.

During that time, Mark had an idea that listening to digital audio caused a physiological breakdown of one's precious bodily fluids. To counter, he proposed refurbishing high-end Nakamichi cassette decks, and as part of the total package would sell customers compact cassettes, of music he recorded from his specially modded Studer A80 master tapes. Think about that for a minute. 30 ips dubbed down to 1 7/8 ips. Not many would have had the intelligence to come up with that as a solution to the 'digital problem'.

As much as I can't ever relate to his thing, I don't mind. He's been both entertaining and, to my way of thinking, has maintained a kind of consistency throughout his career (not counting the sex book with Kim Cantrell--that seemed like a one off, and in any case was too over the top for me to read--besides, my guess is that I'd get more tactile stim from manipulating ball bearing races on an expensive preamp, than a romp with an ex MILF--but that's just me).
But if you look at his successes as salesman...
Compared to Bang&Olufsen, for example, he achieved a chain of catastrophes only.
B&O doesn't like pseudo-technical metaphysical spells.
You come to the salon, see the design, listen, pay.
No metaphysics needed.
Last year I was in an impromptu B&O salon in the middle of the field at one interesting event, the Eurohorse.
I am sure that the worst thing you can think of is to tell the visitors of such a salon some kind of pseudo-technological nonsense.
People just see, listen and write checks.
And they do it right.
B&O is worth it.

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
And I hate to break it to you - at some point, even if it as at the digital to air interface (or even digital to brain interface), conversion to analogue is an essential part of the problem. ;)
Golly gee, you are so simply smart. That surely never occurred to me. Here I thought our ears and my grand piano were digital. Imagine my surprise.

But now I know...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Golly gee, you are so simply smart. That surely never occurred to me. Here I thought our ears and my grand piano were digital. Imagine my surprise.

But now I know...
That was intended to be a vaguely humorous comment. Sorry if it came across as insulting, that wasn't intended.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Rhythm is about timing, but hey, add timing to the list! Fire for effect, as an ex-artilleryman would say.
I was just following the audiophile mantra of PRaT :)

Top Bottom