• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Not trying to be arrogant here, but who listens to this?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
because if sooooo many subscribe to something, it must be better than anything having few subscribers

Your analysis is rather lacking. He's playing music that's been part of the 'classical' repertoire for a bit over 50 years now and is available in (by my quick tally) at least 5 full performances on CD. Which, for a post-midcentury orchestral work that's 90 minutes long, ain't bad at all.
Well, I did say that to me, it's a failed experiment. I was born in Salzburg, Austria, a city with some notable music chops & opera, too. While I have never been there for about more than 4 months at a time, I have been to my born home 9 times to see family & friends and always get the classical exposure, go to where Silent Night was written, etc.
Even so, I am not very keen on classical and less so on opera. But this piece:

Messiaen Des Canyons aux Étoiles - IV. Le cossyphe d'Heuglin​

Definitely doesn't do it for me. I guess it's different strokes for different folks

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Yes. Boulez is an interesting case. A great musician and conductor. A brilliant and sucessful politician -- he got himself IRCAM, which has mostly been a failure. I don't like much that he composed I like except Dialogue de l'ombre double, which is really lovely, and Répons, which I think works even while being a bit obvious. He's like a failed French national institutional attempt at producing a musical answer to Stockhausen, as though it was a Sartre vs. Heidegger rematch. (To be clear, I despise all this insitutional investment in producing national cultural heros, even if it sometimes produces good art.)
I don't like to follow the idea completely, because I like places where 'Neue Musik' is promoted and also created. For example the IRCAM in France, the ZKM in Germany and the remote Yamaguchi Center for Arts and Media in Japan, which I also visited once and had a friendly exchange with the artists there. I have already enjoyed countless excellent 'Tonkunst' performances in the ZKM Cube which I won't miss.

BTW: I think this thread is great, because there is obviously a lot of knowledge about this type of music in the ASR.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Xenakis is the best. My life-long hero. For newcomers to Xenakis I suggest Pléiades, a long ensemble percussion piece he wrote for Les Percussions de Strasbourg. Denon made a recording of them playing it. Lots of videos on Youtube where you can see how it's done, with mixed quality to the performances.
I also admire his work.

That used to be Pléiades at the ZKM. A huge drum kit around the great hall that I couldn't capture in a single photo. Prof. Isao Nakamura played along, who is one of the best percussionists I know. We often invited his students to our house for house concerts.

1674032924812.jpeg

Last edited:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I cannot imagine there are many academic music theorists that understand much of what they read in Formaized Music, if they even tried to. Here's mine. It's quite technically challenging.

View attachment 257905
This is a great library. I can compliment you. I myself am not very familiar with this area theoretically, I took a more practical approach. We are a musical household. My wife plays the piano, has loved classical music since she was a child, she understands it better than I do.

Last edited:

weesch

Microtonal keyboards have existed for years...centuries, even.

Messiaen employed the ondes martinot, which of course can play all the notes 'in between' the 12 tones of the chromatic scale.

Harry Partch built entirely new instruments so people could play the microtonal music he heard in his head
Hi
Cool but i don't know if MIDI format and sequencer can do microtonal tones ?
cheers

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
A good way to connect myself with classical music and contemporary composition is through well-curated Internet radio programs. Here I would like to highlight France Musique in particular. They have quite an excellent music program. This station has become one of my absolute favorites and expands my horizons immensely in this regard. I can then delve further into discoveries on Deezer HiFi.

Funnily enough, a piece by Messiaen with birdcalls was being played there when I took the screenshot for the illustration.

fm.jpg

Multicore

Major Contributor
I don't like to follow the idea completely, because I like places where 'Neue Musik' is promoted and also created. For example the IRCAM in France
I'm in favor of public funding for the arts. I have criticisms of some examples of how it is allocated. When I wrote "I despise all this insitutional investment in producing national cultural heros" it's not the investment I despise, it's the hierarchy and centralization. The anarchist in me prefers a distributed, bottom-up distribution.

A huge drum kit around the great hall that I couldn't capture in a single photo.
That looks exciting.

This is a great library. I can compliment you. I myself am not very familiar with this area theoretically, I took a more practical approach.
Me too. Only one of those books (Formaized Music) is mostly theory. Many are about improvisation or about/by improvising musicians, which has always been my own practical approach.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Cool but i don't know if MIDI format and sequencer can do microtonal tones ?
It can but it's not easy and most standard software/equipment either can't do it or must be adapted. Try on Gearspace. The technical knowledge there is astonishing and many are generous with it. MIDI may not be the right technology, idk, check with the experts.

Last edited:

Multicore

Major Contributor
Messiaen was Boulez's teacher. :)
The list of his pupils has a remarkable collection of famous names. But afaik he taught a standard harmony course, not his own ideas. I think the modernist influence may have been more in the other direction, his students influencing him with their novel ideas.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The list of his pupils has a remarkable collection of famous names. But afaik he taught a standard harmony course, not his own ideas. I think the modernist influence may have been more in the other direction, his students influencing him with their novel ideas.
Boulez started conducting among other things to program Messiaen works and other contemporary ones, as a way of trying to promote this type of music, like his own.

Robin L

Master Contributor
A favorite work of Messiaen, the first work of his I listened to repeatedly---Vingt Regards sur l'Enfant-Jésus (1944):

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
A favorite work of Messiaen, the first work of his I listened to repeatedly---Vingt Regards sur l'Enfant-Jésus (1944):

Thanks,

I also find this piece very beautiful. In the YouTube video it is even played by Yvonne Loriod, who was Messiaen's second wife. Nevertheless, there are some recordings with better sound quality. One example is this album.

500x500-000000-80-0-0.jpg

Axo1989

Major Contributor
It's really boring. The most obvious kind of 70s Maoist critique. I was curious about Cardew given that his Treatise seems to have been been gaining interest among musicians this century.

My dad had a sound teacher who studied under Stockhausen and who actually played in the Scratch Orchestra (he went on a few rants about Cardew's Maoist turn apparently). Also he (my dad I mean) had a copy of Treatise (I mean the graphical score) which I looked for a while back but couldn't find. Hope it's not lost. That score is pretty much how I imagine electronic music in my mind.

Edit: now there's a rabbit-hole, digging into my streaming platform ...

*in case Apple Music comes up blank for you: Treatise, plus Feldman, New York School, Stockhausen etc (those attributed to Eberhard Blum) ... I used to hear that stuff at home growing up.

Last edited:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
My dad had a sound teacher who studied under Stockhausen and who actually played in the Scratch Orchestra (he went on a few rants about Cardew's Maoist turn apparently). Also he (my dad I mean) had a copy of Treatise (I mean the graphical score) which I looked for a while back but couldn't find. Hope it's not lost. That score is pretty much how I imagine electronic music in my mind.

*in case Apple Music comes up blank for you: Treatise, plus Feldman, New York School, Stockhausen etc (those attributed to Eberhard Blum) ... I used to hear that stuff at home growing up.

Thank you for the audio samples. I think it's great that you can embed them directly into a post. I don't know how to do it yet though.

I usually use Deezer HiFi and wonder if you can do the same.

Tonight we want to go to a Stockhausen concert. It's about one and a half hours drive on the highway, in icy weather. Hopefully there will be no black ice.

Top Bottom