• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best CD Player To Use As Transport?

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I still dont udnerstand why folks in this forum keep digging up old threads to reply...the last reply was in dec 2020....

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I still dont udnerstand why folks in this forum keep digging up old threads to reply...the last reply was in dec 2020....

Products get discontinued, reccommendations therefore change and discussions ensue. Pretty normal. :)

Yuhasz01

I have drooled over the Audiolab 6000CDT transport, but it is also a slot-loading model. I'm fortunate in having a wide selection of working CD decks, most have some form of digital out. I have hoped for years to find a small transport like the Olasonic, but not as pricey, with coax out and top-loading.

Does anyone here have one of the Audiolab transports? Cambridge Audio also makes one for a little less, I believe.
I have used Audiolab transport for almost 2years now with my RME Adi-2DAC FS and Genelec powered speakers. I play cds 90% of the time I listen(own + 800 cds) using optical cable to DAC . Never had any problems with it.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
What's preventing someone from building a CD transport around the disk players sold for PC builds? They won't last forever, but are easily replaceable and cheap.

I think nearly all old optical 5 1/4" drives with IDE interface also has a 2-pin digital audio connector. It's 5v TTL level s/pdif, but should easily be converted to consumer levels?

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are very lucky. The Pioneer stable platter designs are renowned for the objective lens falling off the laser block. All those years upside down and the glue lets go. Most are in landfill now due to that issue.

One day, you will open the drawer and see the tiny plastic lens sitting on the rubber mat or on top of the CD you left in there. Luckily, it can be repaired carefully.

So now you suggest me to tilt/turn around my transport on his head for the next 25 years, to make sure that the lens is not attracted by it's weight ?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
So now you suggest me to tilt/turn around my transport on his head for the next 25 years, to make sure that the lens is not attracted by it's weight ?

It's less the weight (poly lens) and more the rapid movement (focusing) along with the adhesive that is brittle.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's less the weight (poly lens) and more the rapid movement (focusing) along with the adhesive that is brittle.
I mixed up a tiny little bit of epoxy for those loose lenses. It worked great otherwise crazy glue might work too but the fit is so accurate that the re-mounting of the lens might not be permitted because the crazy glue dries so fast in the lack of oxygen. I think epoxy is better as a fix. :D

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

SaltyCDogg

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I mixed up a tiny little bit of epoxy for those loose lenses. It worked great otherwise crazy glue might work too but the fit is so accurate that the re-mounting of the lens might not be permitted because the crazy glue dries so fast in the lack of oxygen. I think epoxy is better as a fix. :D

I hope that I won't need to let you know using your solution before many other years ...

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any views on the Denon professional slot-loading players? I am trying to find something for multiroom audio (not my good system) that is actually available to replace my 22-year-old Sony MegaChanger, which has started experiencing disc handling problems. The Tascam CD 200-BT is backordered everywhere now.

A very good topic that you have brought up, SegaCD. As an ideal CD Player to use as a Transport, I cannot provide a very certain answer. However, I bought 2 good CD Players that also have Coaxial, and Optical/Toslink Outputs from ebay over 1, 2 years ago.

Therefore, in my case I have a Marantz SACD/DVD DV6400 (Man. Date Dec. 2003) connected by way of a Blue Jeans Digital Coaxial Cable 6ft. (Made in the USA) to my Sony AV Receiver, DH520 of 85W (bought in 2012).

I also have a Sony CDP-970 CD Player (1989) connected with an affordable BlueRigger Optical Cable, too. Except for the Blue Jeans Coax Cable, the Optical Cable is not actually audiophile - whatever that term is about - but the music sounds very good; it's a bit more clear, and more detail can be heard. Third CD Player is a Sony CDP-CE215 (bought in 1998) connected with traditional RCA L, R FosPower interconnect cables.

Last edited:

Lilith

Also have the Pioneer PD7700 since 1992 now. 20 year ago the lens went out and I put it back in with super glue. No issues since then ..

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Also have the Pioneer PD7700 since 1992 now. 20 year ago the lens went out and I put it back in with super glue. No issues since then ..
haha. Yes the dreaded Pioneer lens falling out defect. Some Sony players had the same issue. I've repaired many of those with that issue. :D

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
haha. Yes the dreaded Pioneer lens falling out defect. Some Sony players had the same issue. I've repaired many of those with that issue. :D
I had a Sony that suffered that fate, now that you mention it!
It was a dump find, so I think I just returned it to the source. :)
Alternately, it might be in the basement. I don't think so, though.
:rolleyes:

Waxx

Major Contributor
The best cd trasports has always been the Philips ones, especially the CDM9 transport like used in the Philips CD920 player. This transport mechanism is also used in a lot of other brands (including some Sony, Denon and Technics models of the past) and altough it's old, it's still seen as the best.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
(including some Sony, Denon and Technics models of the past)
I provided warranty service for all three of those brands and Matsushita has their own mechanisms, Sony and Denon share Sony mechanisms and chips/IC's on the PCB. I did see the Philips mechanism used in some high end gear and they worked wonderfully.

Waxx

Major Contributor
I provided warranty service for all three of those brands and Matsushita has their own mechanisms, Sony and Denon share Sony mechanisms and chips/IC's on the PCB. I did see the Philips mechanism used in some high end gear and they worked wonderfully.
I worked for Sony (but in the IT dep), and those Sony mechanisms you are talking about are rebranded Philips mechanisms actually, but with Sony electronics arround it. I've seen prototypes that still got the philips marks on it that the engineers were testing. We had such a test model in our office (as sony employees were often used as real life testers) to play music for a while.

And the old Technics (Matsushita) cd player of my mom (the SL-PG200A) has a Philips CDM4 transport in it. It may be that some had their own transport, but some models surely had Philips CDM transports in it. I tried to fix it a while ago, but it was to far to repair (some chips were busted) so i dismantled it and sold the transport online (as they are wanted by a lot of diy builders).

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I worked for Sony (but in the IT dep), and those Sony mechanisms you are talking about are rebranded Philips mechanisms actually, but with Sony electronics arround it. I've seen prototypes that still got the philips marks on it that the engineers were testing. We had such a test model in our office (as sony employees were often used as real life testers) to play music for a while.
Wow! That's surprising. So stuff like a KSS213 or a KSS240 are Philips lasers and branded as Sony?
And the old Technics (Matsushita) cd player of my mom (the SL-PG200A) has a Philips CDM4 transport in it. It may be that some had their own transport, but some models surely had Philips CDM transports in it. I tried to fix it a while ago, but it was to far to repair (some chips were busted) so i dismantled it and sold the transport online (as they are wanted by a lot of diy builders).
Another wow! Matsushita using Philips is another surprise.

Top Bottom