• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Not trying to be arrogant here, but who listens to this?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok thanks. I guess I'm not ready for this music adventure yet :)

Messiaen Des Canyons aux Étoiles - IV. Le cossyphe d'Heuglin​

Alexander Soares Pianist
82 subscribers
1,125 views Jan 25, 2015
Pianist Alexander Soares performs the first piano solo movement from Des Canyons aux Étoiles, and the second movement in the work devoted entirely to birdsong - this movement features the White-browed Robin-chat (Le Cossyphe d'Heuglin), from South East Africa.

Ah, yes, I see that there are sooooo many subscribers to this that it must be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The pianist did what he was hired to do. The composer (and whoever paid him for this) have certainly done something different here (and to me it is a failed experiment).

Axo1989

Major Contributor
So, accounting for tastes that like/dislike the Messiaen segment, or his oeuvre (personal taste is fine either way imho) this is in any case a great thread with music suggestions that will entertain me for a good while.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I would have had less trouble with the controversy if it hadn't been for hatred. My English isn't good at interpreting subtleties, but aren't those words too strong?

On the other hand, I find the thread very stimulating, because fellow forists appear in it who also enjoy 'Neue Musik' or are even directly involved in the scene.

Among other things, I am a member of a French association of composers and artistic sound researchers. Among them are avant-gardists of electronic music and musique concrète. Unfortunately we are all old men now, not much is happening anymore and some friends have already died or become ill.

weesch

Godaag !
i really apreciate this kind of music
because in life , many times , things happening .... sound like this music
i really like also the first "planet of apes " Jerry Goldsmith "soundtrack
Why human don't build a "quarter note tone keyboard" to explore more this world of sound.
just like the birds and animals cry ... a new communication !
that computer already use !
Farvel
weesch

Last edited:

Cars-N-Cans

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think you are confusing Des canyons aux étoiles with Messiaen's 7 Haiku.

If I can remember who it was that said that at the time, I will pass the message on… :)

I would have had less trouble with the controversy if it hadn't been for hatred. My English isn't good at interpreting subtleties, but aren't those words too strong?
You can dislike, or even hate an aspect of someone’s work without hating that person in question, while simultaneously liking other works or aspects of their work. I find certain aspects of his work interesting and even pleasing, while others overly-atonal and repetitive that make them tiring to listen to.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Anyway, I'm already looking forward to the next concert of this genre. It's the day after tomorrow. Not Messiaen but Stockhausen. (1952/1953 Stockhausen briefly studied with Messiaen in Paris)

weesch

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
hi
it will be a nice experience of life
@weesch Thank you!

Yes, of course! I've seen the piece live before, in a different production. It was at the University of Music in Karlsruhe or at the ZKM Karlsruhe. Has been a while. I like the group 'les Percussions de Strassbourg' and I like percussion in general!

Last edited:

weesch

@weesch

Ja, natürlich! Ich habe das Stück schon einmal live gesehen, in einer anderen Produktion. Es war an der Hochschule für Musik in Karlsruhe oder am ZKM Karlsruhe. Ist schon eine Weile her. Ich mag die Gruppe 'les Percussions de Strassbourg' und ich mag Percussion im Allgemeinen!
hi cool the @weesch I did not know i will do now ! thanks
Ich würde diese Shows gerne sehen, aber ich kann nicht, ich arbeite nicht.
Ich mache Musik, aber ich mag die Klänge, die die karikierte Musik, die uns angeboten wird, verändern. trauriges Moll, fröhliches Dur, Jazz, Rock gehen schon weiter, aber all diese Musikrichtungen beschreiben nicht die Dunkelheit, in der ich mich befinde:
eine Art taubsturm, immer bereit, dich zu ertränken.
wenn du die Möglichkeit hast ... warum erfindest du nicht ein neues Midi-Keyboard, das Viertel- oder Achteltöne macht!
danke schön

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
@weesch

As I can see you are from Paris. Paris is a very important place for me in the context of contemporary music. I am thinking, for example, of IRCAM. https://www.ircam.fr/

Paris is also important for my audiophile biography. For example, Jean Hiraga's school (the former Maison de L'Audiophile) and the Mélaudia group, of which I was a member for many years. https://www.melaudia.net/

weesch

Yes i know the IRCAM they build rtas plugins !
but for working there you need to kwow somebody or be an ingenior .
Yes Pierre Boulez is the precursor of this style of music .
i will see your link
and studies it
thanks a lot

Multicore

Major Contributor
Paris is a very important place for me in the context of contemporary music.
It's also important in church organ music. They still maintain traditions and practice of improvisation on the organ in Paris. Virtuoso performance improvisations as well as liturgical accompaniment. This, I believe on the basis of nothing at all, is where Messiaen's unique harmonic colors came from. He wrote Le Banquet céleste in 1928 at age 20. I used to find that utterly astonishing. Now I find it impressive but comprehensible given his church background, gifted ear, and the permission of Debussy.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
It's also important in church organ music. They still maintain traditions and practice of improvisation on the organ in Paris. Virtuoso performance improvisations as well as liturgical accompaniment. This, I believe on the basis of nothing at all, is where Messiaen's unique harmonic colors came from. He wrote Le Banquet céleste in 1928 at age 20. I used to find that utterly astonishing. Now I find it impressive but comprehensible given his church background, gifted ear, and the permission of Debussy.
Yes, modern organ concerts, I find that very exciting. Great love of me!

Incidentally, Wolfgang Rihm, whom I have met in person several times, also has great early organ works that I believe he wrote when he was 14 (?). I've also sat in his lectures, out of private interest. He used to be a neighbor of mine, when I was living in Karlsruhe.

Wolfgang Rihm (geb. 1952): Orgelwerke, CD

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
As hard as it is to believe, there's actually more good Classical (i.e. orchestral) music being written today then in the past. And it's enjoyed by - literally - millions, both young and old.

It's in video games....

I have never thought to listen to video game soundtracks, I usually turned them off. I only listened to the Elder Scrolls tracks and really liked them. I'll get to the rest later. Thanks

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
My music tip for today would be Ryuichi Sakamoto “12”. Stylistically, it's somewhere close to contemporary and lounge music. It could be his last work... Mostly very calm and minimalistic.

500x500-000000-80-0-0.jpg

Last edited:

weesch

Other way around. Messiaen was Boulez teacher.
hi
sorry
I didn't know that Messiaen was Boulez teacher .
it's because Messiaen and Jerry Goldsmith do for me the same world of music.
And for me Boulez had explore an other world of music .
cheers

Last edited:
Top Bottom