• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements and miniDSP 2x4 HD DSP and DAC

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd rather not. I enjoy the sound coming out of it out of the many dacs I tried when purchasing it. The question is mostly on using the minidsp purely as an EQ stage instead of a schiit loki.

Keep in mind if you do that, then you are relying on the quality of the ADC in the MiniDSP. But hey, it’s free to experiment.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
you are relying on the quality of the ADC in the MiniDSP
might as well just get the schiit loki then... keeps it analog.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a SINAD number for this item?

Bamboszek

It's unreasonable. Digital EQ would introduce much less distortion and phase shift. Analog or standalone digital solution like miniDSP is only useful if your source doesn't offer EQ capabilities. Something like Equaliser APO or VST emu + FabFilter Pro-Q on PC would provide most accurate and transparent EQ. PC has enough processing power to use linear phase EQ algorithms.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Not sure if you saw the latest Zeos video. Yes, the Loki is decent and adjustments are easy and done with turning a physical knob, but the MiniDSP is so much more capable, it’s EQ has 10 bands, you can do subwoofer integration, set multiple profiles, accept analog and digital sources, add a mic to measure speakers, etc.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree with the rest. Schiit Loki would likely be least precise and least transparent. System EQ on the computer is going to be best.

Disruptor

hey i hope someone can help me out.
im planning to get a 2.2 system in the near future consisting of Buchardts S400 and two SVS SB-2000.
my problem right now is the electronic and where i should implement one minidsp in the system.
Setup.jpg

In the first setup i only have the problem with the analog connection between the integrated amp and the minidsp 2x4 hd since ive heard the ADC isnt that great on the minidsp. I think the solution to this setup would be a integrated amp that can send out two analoge signals to the main speakers and one digital output for the minidsp wich is attenuated, right? is something like that out there?
Or would you say the dac from the 2x4 hd i good enough for just eq´ing the subs?

The second setup is quite simple since i can use the minidsp SHD as a dac wich amir measured and it got his seal of approval and also use it a volume control/preamp for the power amp, right? am i wrong in any assumptions im making?

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
hey i hope someone can help me out.
im planning to get a 2.2 system in the near future consisting of Buchardts S400 and two SVS SB-2000.
my problem right now is the electronic and where i should implement one minidsp in the system.
View attachment 21358

In the first setup i only have the problem with the analog connection between the integrated amp and the minidsp 2x4 hd since ive heard the ADC isnt that great on the minidsp. I think the solution to this setup would be a integrated amp that can send out two analoge signals to the main speakers and one digital output for the minidsp wich is attenuated, right? is something like that out there?
Or would you say the dac from the 2x4 hd i good enough for just eq´ing the subs?

The second setup is quite simple since i can use the minidsp SHD as a dac wich amir measured and it got his seal of approval and also use it a volume control/preamp for the power amp, right? am i wrong in any assumptions im making?

I’m running the MiniDSP 2x4HD before my Emotiva power amp and my $4000 MSRP speakers, using an analog connection out from my tv, so using the cheap DAC in that. Any distortion is not audible to me, keep in mind your average room only allows for around 70dB-80dB of dynamic range.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is there a SINAD number for this item?
It is 18 dB worse than Topping D50 which puts it around 90. The test was with my old analyzer and I was not computing the SINAD then.

Disruptor

I’m running the MiniDSP 2x4HD before my Emotiva power amp and my $4000 MSRP speakers, using an analog connection out from my tv, so using the cheap DAC in that. Any distortion is not audible to me, keep in mind your average room only allows for around 70dB-80dB of dynamic range.

and how do you control the volume via the tv or with the minidsp? id love to use the volume control from the minidsp since you cannot always trust a pc volume output since it sometimes resets to 100% and im afraid id blow something up

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
and how do you control the volume via the tv or with the minidsp? id love to use the volume control from the minidsp since you cannot always trust a pc volume output since it sometimes resets to 100% and im afraid id blow something up

Tv remote control.

I did program a remote to work with the MiniDSP, it’s so easy and took less than a minute.

Disruptor

adding to that:
if i would turn down the volume on the minidsp and im guessing it would need to be a lot since id be feeding 88db/W speakers with around 150wpc. Wouldnt the Singal to noise ratio go down so that at low listening volumes id hear a lot of noise?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
adding to that:
if i would turn down the volume on the minidsp and im guessing it would need to be a lot since id be feeding 88db/W speakers with around 150wpc. Wouldnt the Singal to noise ratio go down so that at low listening volumes id hear a lot of noise?

Correct, that’s why I would turn down the input levels on the MiniDSP, that way your volume control range doesn’t need to be as wide and closer to 0dBFs. My Emotiva amp has a variable gain knob, so that helps.

Disruptor

Correct, that’s why I would turn down the input levels on the MiniDSP, that way your volume control range doesn’t need to be as wide and closer to 0dBFs. My Emotiva amp has a variable gain knob, so that helps.
riiiight i forgot that you can turn down input levels thanks

WaxhawFive

1st post here at ASR.
I'm using the 2x4HD as an active crossover, and have been using the "plugin" for several days getting familiar with it. So my connection to the DSP is working over USB. However, my laptop doesn't recognize the USB as an audio output device, so I can't play music directly from my laptop. What am I missing?
I'm currently having to use a separate USB connection to a Schiit Multibit DAC, which is connected to the analog IN of the DSP. I understand that from your testing, it appears that I'll get better sound if I bypass my DAC and send the signal to the digital inputs of the MiniDSP 2x4HD?

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
1st post here at ASR.
I'm using the 2x4HD as an active crossover, and have been using the "plugin" for several days getting familiar with it. So my connection to the DSP is working over USB. However, my laptop doesn't recognize the USB as an audio output device, so I can't play music directly from my laptop. What am I missing?
I'm currently having to use a separate USB connection to a Schiit Multibit DAC, which is connected to the analog IN of the DSP. I understand that from your testing, it appears that I'll get better sound if I bypass my DAC and send the signal to the digital inputs of the MiniDSP 2x4HD?

Have you installed ASIO driver for 2x4HD on your laptop?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1st post here at ASR.

You will get better performance using the USB input as you say, so it's probably worth trying to find a solution. If you've followed all the usual steps and it still won't work, MiniDSP has a forum with admins who answer customer queries, so I'd try there.

D

Deleted member 2944

ASIO4ALL is not required.

You need to install the UAC driver that comes with your miniDSP plugin download. (It's in the "Windrivers" folder.)
This is all explained in Section 3.1 of your users manual. Did you read that??

Dave.

WaxhawFive

UAC was never installed. Problem solved, thanks all. When the manual said...
For Windows 7and later, these packages should be installed automatically.
I should have paid greater attention to the word "should".

Top Bottom