• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements and miniDSP 2x4 HD DSP and DAC

So I have the USB input working now, mainly because Amirm's measurements in this article suggest that it will sound better than the analog inputs, even if the DAC built into the MiniDSP is not as capable as my other DAC. Am I correct to assume that both of the digital inputs, Toslink and USB, will perform the same?
In his Deep Dive into HDMI article here...
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/a-deep-dive-into-hdmi-audio-performance.56/
...it is stressed that the USB input can be greatly improved upon using a USB-to-S/PDIF adapter like the Berkeley Alpha. I guess I'm asking if there would be any benefit to using the Toslink input rather than the USB input.

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor
So I have the USB input working now, mainly because Amirm's measurements in this article suggest that it will sound better than the analog inputs, even if the DAC built into the MiniDSP is not as capable as my other DAC. Am I correct to assume that both of the digital inputs, Toslink and USB, will perform the same?
That seems to be the case according to Amir's measurements, yeh.

In his Deep Dive into HDMI article here...
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/a-deep-dive-into-hdmi-audio-performance.56/
...it is stressed that the USB input can be greatly improved upon using a USB-to-S/PDIF adapter like the Berkeley Alpha. I guess I'm asking if there would be any benefit to using the Toslink input rather than the USB input.
In that article he does mention that performance can be improved with a USB-SPDIF converter - but only if there's a problem in the first place.

According to Amir's measurement the USB input of the MiniDSP is excellent. There won't be any advantage in using an additional USB-SPDIF converter.

AndrovichIV

Patreon Donor
Thank you, it was not anywhere near meant as an attack, but there is a certain hierarchy where at times (some) with different opinions are taken badly.

Seriously most people I know always prefer using manufacture drivers/software. An example even though Win 10 has almost everything covered, and will automatically D/L anything else needed, manufacture drives are still often better. chipset, video drivers may have many more settings or options, or improve stability. Trackpads /mouse /pen type drivers, more settings, features, better stability etc. It goes on.

The Win 98 comment was not totally correct, as Win 2000-Win 7 still needed user input to run properly and get best results.

When you purchase brand name systems, luckily many manufactures makes the process easy and automatic. Just open a page d/l a small app and it scans your system and gives you the updates you need.

It all depends... it all becomes second nature when you have set up hundreds of servers, systems, wans, lans etc.
Having more drivers in your system exposes you to additional security risks. Also, the software quality of a driver made by Microsoft is likely better than that made by a small company on terms of security, since they can afford to invest large sums of money and expertise into that.

A lot of recent exploits target drivers

Top Bottom