• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

dfuller

Major Contributor
View attachment 248785

Group L58E brass 58 mm
Prosumer espresso machine
For freshly ground coffee beans
Double pressure gauge: pump and steam pressure
The +: Separate hot water distribution
1990 Euros
MaraX? Good machine. Used to own one. Should be about 1000 Euro.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
202212_DecafNFG.png

:eek:

dfuller

Major Contributor
The process to convert my Silvia Pro to a rotary pump machine continues.

First of all, holy crap pipe fittings are expensive.

Second, I've decided to keep the vibration pump for the steam boiler fill, but I'm adding a pulsor to it for noise reduction. It should make the pump's vibrations get to the machine less.

I wonder how much water debit will change? Even this piddly 60w motor rotary can do quite a bit more flow.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The process to convert my Silvia Pro to a rotary pump machine continues.
First of all, holy crap pipe fittings are expensive.
Second, I've decided to keep the vibration pump for the steam boiler fill, but I'm adding a pulsor to it for noise reduction. It should make the pump's vibrations get to the machine less.
I wonder how much water debit will change? Even this piddly 60w motor rotary can do quite a bit more flow.
How about some pics, please!
You wanted to convert FROM a vibration-pump[?] TO a rotary-pump[?] but decided instead to just add a pulsor[?].
How about a ViewGraph presentation, instead?

It sounds complicated and expensive but I gather you are doing it all for noise-abatement, so that you can chill better with your audio system.:)
I spent near half an hour just to clean/lube my LaPavoni's steam wand (on/off valve) innards. [don't ask for photos, pls.;)]

dfuller

Major Contributor
You wanted to convert FROM a vibration-pump[?] TO a rotary-pump[?] but decided instead to just add a pulsor[?].
This machine has two pumps - one to pressurize the brew loop, one to fill the steam boiler. The brew pump is being converted to rotary. The vibe pump on the steam boiler is staying, but for noise reasons, I'm adding a pulsor.

gwele

I bought home the simplest geyser coffee maker many years ago. All I spend money on in order to make delicious coffee is to buy high-quality expensive beans that were fried a maximum of a month ago. And of course a high-quality coffee grinder.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought home the simplest geyser coffee maker many years ago. All I spend money on in order to make delicious coffee is to buy high-quality expensive beans that were fried a maximum of a month ago. And of course a high-quality coffee grinder.
Simple, especially in the morning, is a good way to start.
But I am afraid, I looked at the problem from another angle and did just the opposite of how you solved the problem.

I spent a bunch on hardware (a $1600+ lever espresso machine plus the requisite $500+ burr-grinder) and just buy mid-priced (but fresh) beans. :cool:

NikJi

For the past year or so, I have been using the below combo:

- Aeropress Coffee Maker: https://aeropress.com/product/aeropress-coffee-maker/
- Costco's Kirkland brand Colombian Supremo whole bean: https://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Colombian-Supremo-Coffee/dp/B0036FKPVA
- Mr Coffee grinder
- Black and Decker kettle

I drink it black myself and make a cup with a splash of milk and sugar for the missus.

I used a French press for years prior and still use it if making many cups for a crowd but generally prefer the smoothness (no grit) of the aeropress.

Curious to see what other members use so I can try to switch it up.

View attachment 92890

View attachment 92891
This is my favorite
61tmMz2hd5S._SL1500_.jpg

dfuller

Major Contributor
@pseudoid a photo to explain what I'm doing. Rear vibration pump is the steam boiler pump. Note the lack of fitting on the outlet of the pump. That's where the pulsor is going to be installed. It should reduce the vibration transmitted to the boiler and the chassis. The rotary pump is in front and is not fastened in yet. It should substantially reduce noise but also substantially increase water debit - but that's okay, because the water debit was on the lower end of things anyway (at most, the highest I ever got was 6.67ml/s which is fairly low - 8.3ml/s is normal for La Marzocco).

Attachments

• PXL_20221217_175028453.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221217_175028453.MP.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 41

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The manual lever machine I bought looks to have 167 items on their published PPL.
The only sounds it makes is like an angry cat hissing and growling... while the boiler water is getting to temperature.
But unlike our cat, it seems to be low-maintenance, quite predictable, reliable and most importantly don't stink:cool:.

...It should reduce the vibration transmitted to the boiler and the chassis...
You've probably thought of this already but would replacing your machines footsies with softer silicone versions (there are different weight classes depending on machine lbs) to absorb some of those pump vibrations??? Maybe even some hi-temp spongy material below the pump(s)???

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Those are the same Pump Mounts in my regular Sylvia. They work as well as anything can in regards to minimizing vibration transfer to the chassis, I think.
I did notice an improved difference in sound when I upgraded my Vibratory Pump to the one with the Brass Nipple:
...instead of the stock pump.
Perhaps it's biased. :oops:
:p

I also thought about lining my Sylvia chassis with bitumin/butyl padding to see if that helps. :D
(C'mon, it's an audio forum, after all! And I have some that I bought for a cabinet build. ;) )

(Same with my grinder, too.)

r042wal

Forum Donor
I could not read through all 82 pages of this thread. I have a Rancilio Silvia espresso machine and a Rancilio Rocky bean grinder. I use espresso beans from Loblaws and have two doubles each morning. I like a touch of International Delight French Vanilla cream to knock the edge off. I installed a PID on my Silvia so the water is always 106 deg. C.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I could not read through all 82 pages of this thread. I have a Rancilio Silvia espresso machine and a Rancilio Rocky bean grinder. I use espresso beans from Loblaws and have two doubles each morning. I like a touch of International Delight French Vanilla cream to knock the edge off. I installed a PID on my Silvia so the water is always 106 deg. C.
2 x dopios = Quad-shots
I've heard it been called an Italian stallion... but ONLY if you can take it straight up; without adding sugar, milk, salt, cardoman... or even GoldBond foot-powder.

nobodynoz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Espresso is a small cup of concentrated brew prepared on request by extraction of ground roasted coffee beans with hot water under pressure for a defined short time.
Ground coffee portion 6.5 + - 1.5gr
Temp should be 90 + - 5°C
Inlet water pressure 9 + - 2 bar
Percolation time 30 + - 5 seconds
These conditions are needed to make a good cup of espresso
Best ARABICAS : Brazil, Columbia, Mexico, Ethiopia, Guatemala, India, Uganda, Costa Rica (not in order of quality !)
from the book : 224 pages " ESPRESSO COFFEE " THE CHEMISTRY OF QUALITY. Edited in English by Andrea illy and Rinantonio Viani... ACADEMIC PRESS
illy is a top brand of coffee in Italy...

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Best ARABICAS : Brazil, Columbia, Mexico, Ethiopia, Guatemala, India, Uganda, Costa Rica (not in order of quality !)
from the book " ESPRESSO COFFEE " THE CHEMISTRY OF QUALITY. Edited by Andrea Illy and Rinantonio Viani... ACADEMIC PRESS
What exactly is wrong with the 80+ pages of/about coffee, right here at ASR?;)
And if I may add; here are some other factoids; some contrary to the book.
@SIY once told us about 'Ethiopian' and all I can say is "OMG, he was right!" and thanks to him, now I know why!:cool:
Ethiopian Coffee
*Ethiopia is the birthplace of the coffee plant. It’s been here since prehistoric times, and all the arabica coffee that grows in Asia and Latin America can actually trace its roots back to East Africa. Coffee is said to hail from the Kaffa-region. Hence, the name: coffee.
*While the rest of the world’s coffee, to a certain extent, is derived from the few plants that were stolen from Yemen back in the days, there is a substantial genetic variation among the coffee plants in Ethiopia.
*The current ‘most expensive coffee in the world’ is an example of this. Geisha was brought from Ethiopia to Latin America [Panama?] in the 19th Century – initially as a potential disease resistant crop. However, it was later discovered that it tasted, unlike any other coffee with its notes of jasmine, peach, and bergamot.
*There are three main [and distinct Ethiopian coffee] regions:
• Harar
• Sidamo
• Yirgacheffe
*This is also how the Ethiopians themselves like to think about the coffee. In fact, the country has trademarked the names, and once even had a legal battle with Starbucks over its exploitation of this Ethiopian heritage.
*Harar, however, seems to have fallen out of favor with Western roasters. It’s not as common as it used to be. This region is typically associated with notes of blueberry – which if you’re a real coffee geek – is one of the ultimate flavors.
*Sidamo (or “Sidama” which is actually the correct name) is ubiquitous. Really, this zone is immense to the point, that there can be significant changes in taste. However, the beans are typically packed with fruity notes and light chocolate. This is also where some of the highest grown coffee can be found with a typical altitude of 1400-2200 masl.
*Yirgacheffe is the smallest region, but it’s also the most famous one. It is more or less a part of Sidamo. The coffee coming out of these few villages comprising the Yirgacheffe area is some of the most amazing, sweet and floral coffee in the world. >Link<

*No matter how you analyze it, the rare Geisha bean from Panama comes out on top (and most expensive coffee at auctions)
202212_UnaffordableGeisha.jpg

*Rankings (Hi-to-Lo): Panama, Ethiopia, Hawaii, Colombia, Indonesia, Guatemala, ElSalvador, Kenyan
*Cupping scores (Hi-to-Lo): Geisha, Pacamera, Bourbon, Typica, SL8, SL34, Catuai, Caturra >Link<
It has also been said that the Brazilian coffee industry is more interested in quantity rather than quality.
IMHO: Blended beans just complicate the simple enjoyment.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
What exactly is wrong with the 80+ pages of/about coffee, right here at ASR?;)
And if I may add; here are some other factoids; some contrary to the book.
@SIY once told us about 'Ethiopian' and all I can say is "OMG, he was right!" and thanks to him, now I know why!:cool:
Ethiopian Coffee
*Ethiopia is the birthplace of the coffee plant. It’s been here since prehistoric times, and all the arabica coffee that grows in Asia and Latin America can actually trace its roots back to East Africa. Coffee is said to hail from the Kaffa-region. Hence, the name: coffee.
*While the rest of the world’s coffee, to a certain extent, is derived from the few plants that were stolen from Yemen back in the days, there is a substantial genetic variation among the coffee plants in Ethiopia.
*The current ‘most expensive coffee in the world’ is an example of this. Geisha was brought from Ethiopia to Latin America [Panama?] in the 19th Century – initially as a potential disease resistant crop. However, it was later discovered that it tasted, unlike any other coffee with its notes of jasmine, peach, and bergamot.
*There are three main [and distinct Ethiopian coffee] regions:
• Harar
• Sidamo
• Yirgacheffe
*This is also how the Ethiopians themselves like to think about the coffee. In fact, the country has trademarked the names, and once even had a legal battle with Starbucks over its exploitation of this Ethiopian heritage.
*Harar, however, seems to have fallen out of favor with Western roasters. It’s not as common as it used to be. This region is typically associated with notes of blueberry – which if you’re a real coffee geek – is one of the ultimate flavors.
*Sidamo (or “Sidama” which is actually the correct name) is ubiquitous. Really, this zone is immense to the point, that there can be significant changes in taste. However, the beans are typically packed with fruity notes and light chocolate. This is also where some of the highest grown coffee can be found with a typical altitude of 1400-2200 masl.
*Yirgacheffe is the smallest region, but it’s also the most famous one. It is more or less a part of Sidamo. The coffee coming out of these few villages comprising the Yirgacheffe area is some of the most amazing, sweet and floral coffee in the world. >Link<

*No matter how you analyze it, the rare Geisha bean from Panama comes out on top (and most expensive coffee at auctions)
View attachment 251622
*Rankings (Hi-to-Lo): Panama, Ethiopia, Hawaii, Colombia, Indonesia, Guatemala, ElSalvador, Kenyan
*Cupping scores (Hi-to-Lo): Geisha, Pacamera, Bourbon, Typica, SL8, SL34, Catuai, Caturra >Link<
It has also been said that the Brazilian coffee industry is more interested in quantity rather than quality.
IMHO: Blended beans just complicate the simple enjoyment.
Yes - the Ethiopian beans are some of the best I have tasted.

I also have a fondness for some of the wild coffees coming out of ethopia - they frequently have a range of different beans and flavours which makes for an interesting cup.

I partly disagree with the comment about blending beans - my favourite "regular" cup is 80% Summatran Mandheling and 20% Indian Malabar

But single origin Ethiopians feature amongs my most frequently enjoyed single origins.

Top Bottom