• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My 4th and 5th sentences and this should explain, maybe...
202212_Yemenopia.png

Like horseshoes and hand grenades;).

dfuller

Major Contributor
What exactly is wrong with the 80+ pages of/about coffee, right here at ASR?;)
And if I may add; here are some other factoids; some contrary to the book.
@SIY once told us about 'Ethiopian' and all I can say is "OMG, he was right!" and thanks to him, now I know why!:cool:
Ethiopian Coffee
*Ethiopia is the birthplace of the coffee plant. It’s been here since prehistoric times, and all the arabica coffee that grows in Asia and Latin America can actually trace its roots back to East Africa. Coffee is said to hail from the Kaffa-region. Hence, the name: coffee.
*While the rest of the world’s coffee, to a certain extent, is derived from the few plants that were stolen from Yemen back in the days, there is a substantial genetic variation among the coffee plants in Ethiopia.
*The current ‘most expensive coffee in the world’ is an example of this. Geisha was brought from Ethiopia to Latin America [Panama?] in the 19th Century – initially as a potential disease resistant crop. However, it was later discovered that it tasted, unlike any other coffee with its notes of jasmine, peach, and bergamot.
*There are three main [and distinct Ethiopian coffee] regions:
• Harar
• Sidamo
• Yirgacheffe
*This is also how the Ethiopians themselves like to think about the coffee. In fact, the country has trademarked the names, and once even had a legal battle with Starbucks over its exploitation of this Ethiopian heritage.
*Harar, however, seems to have fallen out of favor with Western roasters. It’s not as common as it used to be. This region is typically associated with notes of blueberry – which if you’re a real coffee geek – is one of the ultimate flavors.
*Sidamo (or “Sidama” which is actually the correct name) is ubiquitous. Really, this zone is immense to the point, that there can be significant changes in taste. However, the beans are typically packed with fruity notes and light chocolate. This is also where some of the highest grown coffee can be found with a typical altitude of 1400-2200 masl.
*Yirgacheffe is the smallest region, but it’s also the most famous one. It is more or less a part of Sidamo. The coffee coming out of these few villages comprising the Yirgacheffe area is some of the most amazing, sweet and floral coffee in the world. >Link<

*No matter how you analyze it, the rare Geisha bean from Panama comes out on top (and most expensive coffee at auctions)
View attachment 251622
*Rankings (Hi-to-Lo): Panama, Ethiopia, Hawaii, Colombia, Indonesia, Guatemala, ElSalvador, Kenyan
*Cupping scores (Hi-to-Lo): Geisha, Pacamera, Bourbon, Typica, SL8, SL34, Catuai, Caturra >Link<
It has also been said that the Brazilian coffee industry is more interested in quantity rather than quality.
IMHO: Blended beans just complicate the simple enjoyment.
If you haven't had a good SL28, you are missing out. Something like George Howell Mamuto AA is stunningly good. Bad espresso coffee, amazing filter.

NikJi

*Ethiopia is the birthplace of the coffee plant. It’s been here since prehistoric times, and all the arabica coffee that grows in Asia and Latin America can actually trace its roots back to East Africa. Coffee is said to hail from the Kaffa-region. Hence, the name: coffee.
don't forget Kofi Annan

Adaboy4z

I'm late in life to Coffee. I drink what ever is available at work now (Night Shift 17 years). A cup or two at most to keep me going 12hr shifts.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
We have yet to open that marvelous pandora's box of the worst coffees ever....

In Australia, in the 1970's and 1980's there was a brand of instant coffee that was the cheapest one available "Pablo" - other than a vague resemblance in colour, this was its only resemblance to actual coffee.

After some years of trying this economy alternative... my parents upgraded to "International Roast" - another economy brand, one that tasted marginally better.... this by no means implies that it actually resembled coffee.... why do people even bother!?!

Nescafe was considered a luxury brand...

After spending a year with my french cousins and real coffee, on my return to Australia, I purchased my own proper Bialetti Moka, and at age 16 launched myself into real coffee.

delta76

Major Contributor
Has anyone used aeropress? How do you like it? what grinder do you pair with it?
Almost pull the trigger on one. I already have proper espresso setup at home but thinking about "on the go"

Danaxus

Has anyone used aeropress? How do you like it? what grinder do you pair with it?
Almost pull the trigger on one. I already have proper espresso setup at home but thinking about "on the go"
A lot of people swear by it, but personally I'm not a fan. You need much finer grinds than pour-over/french press, but not as fine as espresso.
I have one, I never use it - my personal travel setup is a comandante grinder (which is pretty much what you would need for aeropress too), and a plastic V60 for pour-over.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've had one for years and use it for road coffee on (now rarer) occasions.
I added the Fellow 'espresso' adaptor, and I like that even better than stock.
Reviewers seem easily polarized on this and the aeropress. Jeepers, it's just coffee!!
But then I'm a sucker for inexpensive coffee brewers, though I've slowed down a bit since getting the 'lazy man's not quite an espresso machine', a Jura, which is now my default daily beast.
Caveat - I lost most of my taste and smell after covid, tho I can still smell a really good roast/brew, but only briefly, so, YMMV!!
I do miss being able to tell subtle brew differences and the pleasure of a really good smell and taste while drinking.
When I was still working, BC (before covid) the fellow in the cube next to me used to comment about how great my coffee smelled on those 'good days', and he was a tea only drinker. In those days I used a Moccamaster for my morning 'take to work' thermos.
PPS. Still hoping to see an OrbOne someday soon :)
:eek:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I have one, but I find it's too much of a palaver for use out and about. You ideally need a bit of space and a flat surface for it. I also prefer a metal filter, rather than the paper ones supplied with it.

For outdoor use I have one of these, it's much lighgter, more compact and easier to use: https://primulaproducts.com/products/coffee-brew-buddy

1671726079602.png

delta76

Major Contributor
I have one, but I find it's too much of a palaver for use out and about. You ideally need a bit of space and a flat surface for it. I also prefer a metal filter, rather than the paper ones supplied with it.

For outdoor use I have one of these, it's much lighgter, more compact and easier to use: https://primulaproducts.com/products/coffee-brew-buddy

View attachment 251728
Not exactly outside, more like "on the go", like in a hotel room or at my parent house.

I already bought some paper filters (was on great discount and I need one more item for 20% off). Will look at the metal one. Is it official?

A Cute Earring

I have an Aeropress and like the coffee it makes, but is a bit of a production compared with my usual pour over. I much prefer coffee made with paper filters.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Not exactly outside, more like "on the go", like in a hotel room or at my parent house.

I already bought some paper filters (was on great discount and I need one more item for 20% off). Will look at the metal one. Is it official?
There is an official Aeropress metal filter: https://aeropress.com/products/aeropress-stainless-steel-reusable-filter

But I have one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Filter-Disc-AeroPress-CAFE-CONCETTO/dp/B07BLZDRSG?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

I prefer the taste with a metal filter, although that may partly be my imagination, but I definitely like that it's re-usable.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We have yet to open that marvelous pandora's box of the worst coffees ever....
There is no doubt that StarBucks will be way up in a polling; if you can figure out how to insert one in this thread.
I had some of that "fermented" beans (CentralAmerica) that I was told was the latest 'thing'.
One (SINGLE) sip later, I had to return the remainder of the pound (@$30) that was gifted to me... which you are never supposed to do.:facepalm:

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Vaguely on topic, fans of the Muppets will be delighted at this early stuff from Jim Hensen. These were local ads for a local brand when I was a kid. They are astoundingly violent and hilarious.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Vaguely on topic, fans of the Muppets will be delighted at this early stuff from Jim Hensen. These were local ads for a local brand when I was a kid. They are astoundingly violent and hilarious.

Fabulous! I grew up in NoVA and remember these commercials well. Hilarious, and violent indeed!

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Vista Encanto Coffee.jpg
Owner - and friend - Carol Cardinale-Santana delivered a kilo of medium roast Vista Encanto a couple of days ago ($25 delivered, roasted this week). It was grown on the mountain-top across the Boquete Valley in an area that I can see from my window as I sit at my computer typing this comment. This batch of the 2021-2022 harvest is random blend of three arabica varietals - Caturra, Catuai and Geisha. I will start using it next week when I finish my bag of Palmira Gold.

I brew with a Technivorm Moccamaster One-Cup or a Hario cold-brewer. Fresh medium-roast cold brew can be heated to drinking temperature in a microwave oven for as great cup of low-acid coffee that preserves the wonderful complexity of mountain-grown arabica varietals. Old brewed coffee and overheating are what destroy the wonderful essence of such good coffee.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Owner - and friend - Carol Cardinale-Santana delivered a kilo of medium roast Vista Encanto a couple of days ago ($25 delivered, roasted this week). It was grown on the mountain-top across the Boquete Valley in an area that I can see from my window as I sit at my computer typing this comment. This batch of the 2021-2022 harvest is random blend of three arabica varietals - Caturra, Catuai and Geisha. I will start using it next week when I finish my bag of Palmira Gold.

I brew with a Technivorm Moccamaster One-Cup or Hario a cold-brewer. Fresh medium-roast cold brew can be heated to drinking temperature in a microwave oven for as great cup of low-acid coffee that preserves the wonderful complexity of mountain-grown arabica varietals. Old brewed coffee and overheating are what destroy the wonderful essence of such good coffee.
Wowzerz. Lucky you having the bean right across the valley. I'm sure it is delicious and realllly fresh. :D

Top Bottom