• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Hmmm - on the topic of salt.... late 19th century French coffee, had a secret ingredient.... butter.

One does wonder if perhaps that butter was salted rather than sweet?

A small dab of butter would give richness (being basically concentrated cream!) - and if the salt has an impact on bitterness...

Earlier on, Voltaire was famous for drinking 20-30 demitasse a day when writing Candide, so anything goes with the French. I think coffee prep in those days resulted in something we might find unpalatable.

Butter in coffee sounds like something you'd drink halfway up Everest. So yak butter and Himalayan salt. I'm looking forward to the taste-test notes.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
NOT OT: Mate likes half-n-half (NOT that ultra-bastardized kind) in her double shots. << 80grams' worth.
It's a piece of cake to steam (froth?) it to near-perfection and gets me a get-out-of-jail card, every morning.
But for the life of me, I cannot master how to properly froth regular milk, without either scorching or creating birthday balloons for my quad shots. << 45grams' worth
202211_HelpMe.jpg

I stepped down to a single (from tri) nozzle/tip wand and have plenty of pressure.
I use cold milk and not willing to make more than necessary and dump remainder.
No butter, please!

Ifrit

Oh my! That was some good turkish (errrrr... ethiopian) coffee last night, after dinner.
I think I will add it to our weekly diet.
I did not even have to contemplate additives (like... salt). ;)
I guess making the turk-style is like riding bicycles... you don't forget it.
Try adding a very (!) thin slice or two of raw garlic while you brew it. ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Delicious! Not... lol. It reminds me of a German chef was talking shop with me and she said if I want to try a experiment cook a steak with a white onion slice on top and raw egg on top of that. So silly me I tried cooking that and it tasted like nothing. I mean tasted bland and tasteless. Something about the combO made it that way. :D

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Wow. Still laughing.

I have heard that a little Sulfur is good for enhancing Coffee flavors. But I'll pass on the raw or cooked culinary Alliums. Thanks. ;)

FlyingFreak

Alright, so yesterday I put a lil cup on the side and added again a lil salt to it.
Then this morning I did the same with a lil MSG.

Results: I am now entering a routine of drinking my favorite cup of coffee every morning AND tasting something absolutely horrible I then need to clean my mouth of.

This confirm my results of Sunday: the line between unnoticeable and undrinkable is real real thin with both salt and MSG.

Positive of this experiment so far: the taste of the MSG cup this morning did more to wake me up than the caffeine intake.

I'll continue this for a while.

While I only drink black coffee, I got my wife a Nespresso frother and it does wonder with whatever she trows at it (coffee, cocoa, macha, turmeric with all kinds of non dairy milks). If your wand doesnt do the trick, maybe that device would pseudoid?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Delicious! Not... lol.
What would it take me to convince you to taste-test a 'very thin layer' GoldBond FootPowder instead?;)
Someone (@Ifrit) took my bait about trying MSG: Why can't you just comply and report back w/your findings?:facepalm:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anybody has any insight on a good coffee subscription plans? I want to try different coffees from around the world and can't find a good source locally to buy.

hoppy IPA

Anybody has any insight on a good coffee subscription plans? I want to try different coffees from around the world and can't find a good source locally to buy.

Klatch is a terrific roaster to start with. George Howell is a well known top-tier roaster if you want to try some of the best.

IMHO focus on Ethiopian & Kenyan coffees. Subscriptions are largely a bad way to go.

Do you have a good coffee grinder? If not, you really need to start there.

Danaxus

In Europe there are some "meta" subscriptions - they select different roasters every month and send you coffees. It's an interesting way to get to know new roasters as well as beans. Coffeevine comes to mind - perhaps a similar service exists in the US?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Klatch is a terrific roaster to start with. George Howell is a well known top-tier roaster if you want to try some of the best.

IMHO focus on Ethiopian & Kenyan coffees. Subscriptions are largely a bad way to go.

Do you have a good coffee grinder? If not, you really need to start there.
Thank you for the suggestion. I do have a burr grinder at home, so I'm equipped. I'll definitely look up both and try them.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nespresso frother
Thanks! Clever little machine.;)
Me and my LaPavoni Stradivari try to keep operations to human-power, to the maximum extent possible.
This lever machine came with some attachment for frothing, in addition to a steam-wand. Seems too laborious to try cleaning the hoses/parts.
My minimalist operation does not even rely on a knock-box when the garbage can is but a few feet away.
It even bugs me that I have to resort to a digital scale/timer for precise outcome!
I have even watched Hoffman (et al) to finesse my attempts but I realize the small quantity (~45gm) of whole milk I need, scalds before fine foam.
202212_EspressoThermometer.jpg

FlyingFreak

I get you! I mean, I make coffee using pour over and espresso using a Robot. No electricity on my coffee counter.
Going with the Nespresso gadget was easier for me since it is for my wife and doesnt live near my low tech coffee equipment.

I get you on the scale! I am considering getting one of those digital scale with timer. It would make my life much simpler...

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMG_20221208_131554.jpg

Mexico Finca Chanjul, filter, shaken with ice.

Strawberry chocolate notes and so refreshing for the tropics.

nobodynoz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Capture d’écran 2022-12-09 à 13.00.07.png

Group L58E brass 58 mm
Prosumer espresso machine
For freshly ground coffee beans
Double pressure gauge: pump and steam pressure
The +: Separate hot water distribution
1990 Euros

Top Bottom