• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker cable advice

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I was wondering how long it would take to see Roger Russell get dropped! ;)

Where ofc comes into play now is that there is really no premium on it. I can’t say when I last saw non ofc speaker wire that was still copper. In the end it’s not like we are talking about quantum tunneled single crystal extruded one way battery pack cables. Ofc is simply today speaker-wire copper.

I concur with dodging any copper-clad product. Steel and aluminum are cr@ppy conductors. The use case for those simply isn’t in home audio. *shrugs
It’s not that they don’t or won’t work, but why?!! when copper is still affordable? ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I make my own speaker cables, too. Usually I get enough electronics at work, but that job is so trivial it's almost fun.
Heck, even making interconnects is fun, if one is in a suitable frame of mind. :)
Speaker cables are (indeed) pretty trivial, depending on what, if any, terminations are required.
I am fine with stripping back insulation (e.g., on "zip cord" style wiring) and just twisting the strands neatly... and tinning to keep them together.
This thread does bring one question to mind for ASR: How do y'all feel about tinning?

Oh, and another 'vote' for all copper cabling vs. "CCA".

all opinions offered "as is" and FWIW. No warranty. ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Heck, even making interconnects is fun, if one is in a suitable frame of mind. :)
Speaker cables are pretty trivial, depending on what, if any, terminations are required.
I am fine with stripping back insulation (e.g., on "zip cord" style wiring) and just twisting the strands neatly... and tinning to keep them together.
This thread does bring one question to mind for ASR: How do y'all feel about tinning?

Oh, and another 'vote' for all copper cabling vs. "CCA".

all opinions offered "as is" and FWIW. No warranty. ;)
I use ring tongue terminals, crimped and soldered, with posts that accept them at the speakers. I also use a copper crush washer, since the posts allow wrenching. Obsessive? Yep ;) I use spades at the amp end, for the amps whose posts don't accept a ring.

If I *had* to slip a wire into a regular binding post I'd worry a bit about tinning, but mostly about the connection loosening in time.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Obsessive? Yep
I'd say it isn't obsessive. I had freely spinning banana plugs from amazon basics. I couldn't figure out why I had occasional distortion that occurred alongside bass.

Don't buy these or anything like it. All of the other styles are superior, but I like locking connectors and the neat ones that have a single spring out the side of the banana pin.
61w4pTpbqqL._AC_SL1145_.jpg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Where ofc comes into play now is that there is really no premium on it. I can’t say when I last saw non ofc speaker wire that was still copper. In the end it’s not like we are talking about quantum tunneled single crystal extruded one way battery pack cables. Ofc is simply today speaker-wire copper.

I concur with dodging any copper-clad product. Steel and aluminum are cr@ppy conductors. The use case for those simply isn’t in home audio. *shrugs
It’s not that they don’t or won’t work, but why?!! when copper is still affordable? ;)
Then again ETP copper is just fine, too. OFC is nice but not particularly needed. If you do get CCA then bump up the gauge/thickness to account for the difference, but I'd also just generally avoid CCA in the first place....

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd say it isn't obsessive. I had freely spinning banana plugs from amazon basics. I couldn't figure out why I had occasional distortion that occurred alongside bass.

Don't buy these or anything like it. All of the other styles are superior, but I like locking connectors and the neat ones that have a single spring out the side of the banana pin.
61w4pTpbqqL._AC_SL1145_.jpg
If I wanted quick disconnects these days I'd use Speakons. I'm pretty allergic to bananas. Even the Pomona plugs at work show variation if they're moved at all.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Big thanks everyone, it looks like 14awg/2.5mm is what I’ll use & definitely not any cca junk!
Ohm, don't disregard CCAW. The copper cladding isn't to fool people. It only assures that the individual strands have some ever-changing fresh contact within the cable so that they may not be that sensible to bending (once in a long while). Aluminium itself can't do that, because its surface oxidizes in milli-seconds to non-conducting material otherwise known as sapphire (sounds more brilliant).

We'll need aluminium, solid or as CCAW for the next gen/ power grid heavily (pun not intended). But that's a totally different field of considerations.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

What, you've never seen basic zip cord? :)

3125b

Major Contributor
has anybody shown that copper clad aluminum is sonically worse?
It isn´t, however the conductivity of aluminium is lower than copper, so to achive equal resistance you´d need to buy one size up (4mm² instead of 2,5mm² for example). At that point it isn´t really cheaper anymore and you´d just end up with an unnecessarily thick and stiff wire.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Is it copper? Does it have the required length and gauge? If both are yes, that´s the cable you need.

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have used this with total satisfaction for over 15 years and four upgrades in speakers. I don't even use banana plugs because I rarely make speaker changes. I have a 50-foot run to the farthest speaker, so I bought 100 feet. You should get along with a 50' spool. In my case, I'm connecting a 150-watt per channel amp and a speaker set measured at 5.0 ohms minimum. Works fine.

Audio techs I know working in recording studios and similarly powered reinforcement only choose heavier-duty/heavier jacketed cables for durability and flexibility, not audio quality. For more than a 50' run, I might change to maybe some 10 AWG wires.

If I wanted to make a better investment, I'd take the price of foo-foo cables, subtract the $30, buy these, and use the difference for lottery tickets. You're more likely to win for the price. :)
1667846751013.png

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I have used this with total satisfaction for over 15 years and four upgrades in speakers. I don't even use banana plugs because I rarely make speaker changes. I have a 50-foot run to the farthest speaker, so I bought 100 feet. You should get along with a 50' spool. In my case, I'm connecting a 150-watt per channel amp and a speaker set measured at 5.0 ohms minimum. Works fine.

Audio techs I know working in recording studios and similarly powered reinforcement only choose heavier-duty/heavier jacketed cables for durability and flexibility, not audio quality. For more than a 50' run, I might change to maybe some 10 AWG wires.

If I wanted to make a better investment, I'd take the price of foo-foo cables, subtract the $30, buy these, and use the difference for lottery tickets. You're more likely to win for the price. :)
View attachment 241874
When I set up my room, that's exactly what I bought... 2 100' spools of the Monoprice Choice 12AWG.

I've noticed in some places, some of it may be oxidizing. My installation is only 4 yrs old. A little disappointing if that's the case. I'm going to be doing some retooling soon and will check the wiring and decide if I change it out or not. *shrugs

Top Bottom