• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker cable advice

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
LS50Meta speakers are rated 85 db efficiency at 8 ohms. Inefficient speakers - at least they are 8 ohms which helps a bit.
Don't skimp on wire size.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LS50Meta speakers are rated 85 db efficiency at 8 ohms. Inefficient speakers - at least they are 8 ohms which helps a bit.
Don't skimp on wire size.
I agree. It's not like larger wire is a major investment.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I have had Monoprice OFC cable oxidize pretty badly after just 1 year.
This is may or may not have anything to do with the brand, rather I suspect any brand can have a bad batch or even just a bad product.

May be a reason for clear jackets - to see what is happening inside the with the wire. Yearly inspections anyone :)

That said my cable of choice right now is a non-clear jacket.
I just buy this brand in various sizes.
Extremely flexible and easy to handle and a high strand count which I like. It feels premium vs other similar rip chord style spools.

KnuKonceptz Kord Kable 12 Gauge Copper Speaker Wire​

I may try this brand next

InstallGear 12 Gauge Speaker Wire (100ft) - Brown 12 AWG​

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want the irrational peace of mind that comes with completely overdoing your cable, Canare 4S11 is $1.59/ft and has a really nice feel to it. Put some nylon sleeving on it, and enjoy the concerned glances of your friends when they come over and notice you've gone for the obviously-too-thick-for-any-reasonable-purpose audiophile cables. ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have had Monoprice OFC cable oxidize pretty badly after just 1 year.
This is may or may not have anything to do with the brand, rather I suspect any brand can have a bad batch or even just a bad product.

May be a reason for clear jackets - to see what is happening inside the with the wire. Yearly inspections anyone :)

That said my cable of choice right now is a non-clear jacket.
I just buy this brand in various sizes.
Extremely flexible and easy to handle and a high strand count which I like. It feels premium vs other similar rip chord style spools.

KnuKonceptz Kord Kable 12 Gauge Copper Speaker Wire​

I may try this brand next

InstallGear 12 Gauge Speaker Wire (100ft) - Brown 12 AWG​

If it's not clear insulation then how do you know if it's oxidizing inside or not? :) FWIW no problems with the last two 300 ft reels of Monoprice 12g but then again oxidization is more an aesthetic thing.

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have used this with total satisfaction for over 15 years and four upgrades in speakers. I don't even use banana plugs because I rarely make speaker changes. I have a 50-foot run to the farthest speaker, so I bought 100 feet. You should get along with a 50' spool. In my case, I'm connecting a 150-watt per channel amp and a speaker set measured at 5.0 ohms minimum. Works fine.

Audio techs I know working in recording studios and similarly powered reinforcement only choose heavier-duty/heavier jacketed cables for durability and flexibility, not audio quality. For more than a 50' run, I might change to maybe some 10 AWG wires.

If I wanted to make a better investment, I'd take the price of foo-foo cables, subtract the $30, buy these, and use the difference for lottery tickets. You're more likely to win for the price. :)
View attachment 241874
I've been using this as well for years with no issues.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
I don't think it usually is, that's all. No need for audiophile lamps and stuff
The old lamp cord was OFC in vinyl, pvc, cloth and just about everything else. Oxygen Free Copper isn't anything new. Aluminum and aluminum with clad copper is.
It rolls off the upper frequencies. It will never sound bad. On the other hand it will NEVER sound good either.
I'll say it this way, great cables never sound bad, I've never notice great cables. Bad cable on the other hand, everyone is scratching their heads and asking if you have
any whisky and I can see TP in their ears.

Regards

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The old lamp cord was OFC in vinyl, pvc, cloth and just about everything else. Oxygen Free Copper isn't anything new. Aluminum and aluminum with clad copper is.
It rolls off the upper frequencies. It will never sound bad. On the other hand it will NEVER sound good either.
I'll say it this way, great cables never sound bad, I've never notice great cables. Bad cable on the other hand, everyone is scratching their heads and asking if you have
any whisky and I can see TP in their ears.

Regards
Hmmm, thought the typical lamp cord was just ETP. Why would it (CCA) roll off frequencies if of sufficient gauge?

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just picked up 60 metres of 12awg from monoprice UK for £50.
Thanks everyone, for the advice & info :)
Didn't know there was a Monoprice UK, good to know. They carry the Monolith lines too?

MAB

Major Contributor
Aluminum and aluminum with clad copper is.
Really, audio frequencies? If so, would be trivial to measure. Can you point me to the data? The types of effects (that I know of) that would cause this are typically really high frequency, like GHz or THz.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oxygen Free Copper isn't anything new. Aluminum and aluminum with clad copper is.
Aluminum wire was first used in the 19th century. It was used for domestic wiring 60 years ago. There is no such thing as oxygen-free copper wire - oxygen is injected into the molten mix to burn impurities, and some of it stays - but the current mania for reducing oxygen content to a minimum is relatively recent, for certain very technical applications. To have transferred such worries to audio is ludicrous - no possible amount of oxygen has the slightest effect at low voltages and audio frequencies.
Aluminum and aluminum with clad copper ... rolls off the upper frequencies.
This is wrong too.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In multichannel multi-amplifier multi-driver active audio setup, we (I) need so many SP cables. I have been long time using multi-core vinyl cabtyre cables plus Y-lugs/R-lugs as described/shared here on my project thread, and here.
WS000406 (1).JPG

After my 40-year try-and-error journey, now I definitely believe that these very cheap tin plated pure copper Y-lugs and R-lugs are the best terminal-contact solution; rather soft metal tin plate effectively increases the contact surface area when tightly connect and tightly screwed.
WS000408.JPG

059A8226_r1rs.JPG

WS003808 (1).JPG

WS003804 (1).JPG

index.php

This post regarding periodical cleaning of metal-to-metal connectors would be also of your reference, I assume.

Last edited:

MAB

Major Contributor
Aluminum and aluminum with clad copper ... rolls off the upper frequencies.
This is wrong too.
Whew! I was worried for a second that clouds of ionized plasma would form every time I brushed up against anything, and other stuff. Good to know I can start moving around again without dramatic sponteaneous electrical phenomena randomly occurring.;)

OP
Jason Shep

Jason Shep

Didn't know there was a Monoprice UK, good to know. They carry the Monolith lines too?
Hi Chrispy,
Yeah, I believe they do carry the Monolith stuff, from my confirmation email, it looks like it ships from Germany, which makes sense as Germany is central to the whole of Europe.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Chrispy,
Yeah, I believe they do carry the Monolith stuff, from my confirmation email, it looks like it ships from Germany, which makes sense as Germany is central to the whole of Europe.
So in the UK a purchase now with Brexit adds some hassle/expense I assume?

Top Bottom