• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Aria floorstander owners?

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Between the AVR's, Marantz should be good as well? Or use both devices from Anthem.
Yes, Marantz is considered to be very good. I have no experience with Anthem, so I can't speak to that, but Denon and Marantz are the same parent company and share a lot between brands. Marantz is the "higher end" brand and is more expensive, but both are very well regarded in general.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Hmmm. But there was a huge significant difference in the sound when I connected the power amp.
Did you level match? You probably played louder with power amp which is why it sounded better.
I agree with delta76's reply, and I'd add that if you didn't have a crossover applied to the mains while testing both both circumstances (to match what you will do when you have a sub connected), then it's literally impossible to judge how that would actually play out once the power demands of the mains is substantially reduced by using a crossover.

ash1980

I agree with delta76's reply, and I'd add that if you didn't have a crossover applied to the mains while testing both both circumstances (to match what you will do when you have a sub connected), then it's literally impossible to judge how that would actually play out once the power demands of the mains is substantially reduced by using a crossover.
Ok. I'm not sure if they did what you're saying but I can ask them to set it up next time I visit.
What exactly should I tell the guys to do ? I'm sorry, but this is all new to me & i'm learning along the way.

delta76

Major Contributor

Here is how to do it. You would need a spl meter.

This can be a redundant advice but if the retailer tries to upsell you expensive cables of any kind (power, interconnect, speaker), then stay away. They have no effect whatsoever on the sound quality. I found retailers who push expensive cables to be questionable at best and unethical at worst.

Also just to be clear, if you have the fund and if you want to, adding a good power amp definitely does not hurt. In case of denon avr which is known to run hot it can help to cool it down. Some people would even say that it reduces noises that added by other channel amps. I just don't think you need it. You can just start with a good avr.

ash1980

Here is how to do it. You would need a spl meter.

This can be a redundant advice but if the retailer tries to upsell you expensive cables of any kind (power, interconnect, speaker), then stay away. They have no effect whatsoever on the sound quality. I found retailers who push expensive cables to be questionable at best and unethical at worst.

Also just to be clear, if you have the fund and if you want to, adding a good power amp definitely does not hurt. In case of denon avr which is known to run hot it can help to cool it down. Some people would even say that it reduces noises that added by other channel amps. I just don't think you need it. You can just start with a good avr.
Got it, thanks. Is Anthem MCA 225 a good amp?

These are the cables they recommended:

QED ORIGINAL SPEAKER CABLE
QED QX-16/2 SPEAKER CABLE COIL
SUPRA SUBLINK 1RCA SUBWOOFER CABLE
SUPRA SUBLINK 1RCA Audio CABLE
SUPRA HDMI-HDMI 8K HDR CABLE

delta76

Major Contributor
Got it, thanks. Is Anthem MCA 225 a good amp?

These are the cables they recommended:

QED ORIGINAL SPEAKER CABLE
QED QX-16/2 SPEAKER CABLE COIL
SUPRA SUBLINK 1RCA SUBWOOFER CABLE
SUPRA SUBLINK 1RCA Audio CABLE
SUPRA HDMI-HDMI 8K HDR CABLE
I don't know about MCA 225, can't comment, however audioholics which is a reputable site seems to be pretty positive about it https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/anthem-mca-225-325-525-amplifiers

re cables - I'd take that as a red flag. not a huge one, but definitely something to concern about.
I personally use KabelDirekt, not sure if it is available over there. the speaker wire is less than 1$/m, RCA and HDMI cables are about 10$/2m each. pretty happy with them, no problems whatsoever

ash1980

I don't know about MCA 225, can't comment, however audioholics which is a reputable site seems to be pretty positive about it https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/anthem-mca-225-325-525-amplifiers

re cables - I'd take that as a red flag. not a huge one, but definitely something to concern about.
I personally use KabelDirekt, not sure if it is available over there. the speaker wire is less than 1$/m, RCA and HDMI cables are about 10$/2m each. pretty happy with them, no problems whatsoever
Thank you so much.

Wow, these are pretty cheap. This cable set is costing me around USD 450. Your recommended would be like $100 max !
I don't think, we have many options for cables here unfortunately.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Ok. I'm not sure if they did what you're saying but I can ask them to set it up next time I visit.
What exactly should I tell the guys to do ? I'm sorry, but this is all new to me & i'm learning along the way.
Adding an external amplifier to external AVR like a Denon/Marantz will generally only be of tangible benefit if you are running out of power with the on board amps (i.e. clipping). If you aren't running out of power, there are very few reasons to add them. When you are integrating a sub at home, the AVR will apply a crossover (likely around 80 Hz) to your main speakers, cutting frequencies to the speakers below that crossover point and sending them only to the sub. This drastically reduces the amount of power you need to drive your speakers since your sub will handle the deep powerful bass. So, if you were testing the speakers full range in the store and comparing amps to determine if you needed a more powerful one, it's not at all a valid test for how you will use it at home. The best advice would be to skip the amp now, take it all home and set it up, and then see if you think you need one. They are VERY easy to add later.

ash1980

Adding an external amplifier to external AVR like a Denon/Marantz will generally only be of tangible benefit if you are running out of power with the on board amps (i.e. clipping). If you aren't running out of power, there are very few reasons to add them. When you are integrating a sub at home, the AVR will apply a crossover (likely around 80 Hz) to your main speakers, cutting frequencies to the speakers below that crossover point and sending them only to the sub. This drastically reduces the amount of power you need to drive your speakers since your sub will handle the deep powerful bass. So, if you were testing the speakers full range in the store and comparing amps to determine if you needed a more powerful one, it's not at all a valid test for how you will use it at home. The best advice would be to skip the amp now, take it all home and set it up, and then see if you think you need one. They are VERY easy to add later.
Got it, so this is where I get confused. x4700h is 125 Watt per channel and the Anthem is 225W per channel. The 936's are at 300W , wouldn't the additional power automatically improve the performance?
On top of that, almost all the blogs / audiophile groups that I've recommend going separates for a better sound quality.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Got it, so this is where I get confused. x4700h is 125 Watt per channel and the Anthem is 225W per channel. The 936's are at 300W , wouldn't the additional power automatically improve the performance?
Yes, for the Aria 936's 300W is max power, but that's without any crossover. The number of watts needed is far lower if you have them crossed over at 80 Hz. Even then, 300W of power is only if you need to drive them to maximum volume, but let's pretend you were not using a crossover for a second and see what that looks like. The 936's are 92 dB sensitivity. If your seating position is 10' away from the speakers, then 300 watts gets you 113 dB (you can calculate this here). I'm not sure about you, but I'd tap out WAY before that. That's deep into hearing damage territory if you listen for very long at all (damage in less than 1 minute). The 125 watts in the Denon will get you to 109.3 dB, which is still way louder than I'd listen (damage in less than 2 minutes), but still leaves plenty of headroom for transients in home theater and such. That's all WITHOUT a crossover.
On top of that, almost all the blogs / audiophile groups that I've recommend going separates for a better sound quality.
I don't classify most of those as quality sources of information. Too much conflict of interest, voodoo, and misinformation most of the time.

MarcT

Forum Donor
That just means that the speakers can take 300 watts of power without damage. It doesn't mean the 936 really need a 300 watt amp at all.

delta76

Major Contributor
936 has sensitivity of 92.5dB iirc. That means it needs 1w/2.83v to produce 92.5dB sound at 1m distant. To make 10dB louder it needs 10x power, and if you are 3x in distant you will also lose 10dB.

If you have 2 speakers playing at the same time it will be +3dB, and you have room gain which is roughly 3dB, but let's ignore that for simplicity, for now

So if you sit 3m from your 936 it will need 10w to produce 92.5dB sound. That is very loud. Mind you 90dB in one hour will damage your ear. Most people will watch movies at ~85dB and music at ~80dB. There might be moments that it gets higher, but they are really just moments (few seconds)

So it is safe to say that your 936 will likely never draw for more than 50w per channel. For power only, you would never need an amp

ash1980

936 has sensitivity of 92.5dB iirc. That means it needs 1w/2.83v to produce 92.5dB sound at 1m distant. To make 10dB louder it needs 10x power, and if you are 3x in distant you will also lose 10dB.

If you have 2 speakers playing at the same time it will be +3dB, and you have room gain which is roughly 3dB, but let's ignore that for simplicity, for now

So if you sit 3m from your 936 it will need 10w to produce 92.5dB sound. That is very loud. Mind you 90dB in one hour will damage your ear. Most people will watch movies at ~85dB and music at ~80dB. There might be moments that it gets higher, but they are really just moments (few seconds)

So it is safe to say that your 936 will likely never draw for more than 50w per channel. For power only, you would never need an amp
Got it. Makes sense. Why do people then opt for separates? To get more clarity?

Between the two, X4700H or MRX 740 -- what do you recommend? I do like the simplicity of setting up the denon.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Because people read audiophile blogs that tell them they should. Or sometimes people have uniquely demanding speakers. Or they like the ability to swap components. Maybe the like how it looks. Or it makes sense for the system they want to put together (i.e. I have a small Topping PA5 amp paired with a miniDSP Flex in my office). Or many other reasons other than power.

MarcT

Forum Donor

Between the two, X4700H or MRX 740 -- what do you recommend? I do like the simplicity of setting up the denon.
Well, in my case, I don't have a home theater room and I do listen to a lot of music as well as movies, maybe 50/50. My system is in our family room. I wanted to try separates for my two channel listening and I wanted to try a powerful amplifier. So, I have a pre-amp that has home theater bypass and it feeds the power amp. For two channel listening the AVR is not involved. Then, when watching a movie, the front L/R channels are still powered by the big amp, while the other channels are driven by the AVR. It makes for quite a mess with cables, and the pre-amp and amp take up some space, but I enjoy it.

delta76

Major Contributor

not necessarily more clarity. people can, and will blindly follow advice that were repeated over and over. This is particularly true for audio products as what you actually hear, and what you think you hear can be very different. people hear things that simply not there. you will probably not find any other industry plagued with as much snake oil as audio.

when you have (a lot of) money to spend, yes you can get separates. but if you want to get the best bang out of your bucks, then AVR is the best choice. and of all AVRs, denon is probably the best p/p brand out there.

for x4700h vs mrx 740, the latter is roughly 1.5 times more expensive where I live. it also only has 7 channel amp and hdmi 2.1 was not included (upgradeable with a cost). To me x4700h is a better value for the features, but some might prefer Anthem for build quality or brand. I can't comment about their performance - I know x4700h is good but not sure about anthem

ash1980

Well, in my case, I don't have a home theater room and I do listen to a lot of music as well as movies, maybe 50/50. My system is in our family room. I wanted to try separates for my two channel listening and I wanted to try a powerful amplifier. So, I have a pre-amp that has home theater bypass and it feeds the power amp. For two channel listening the AVR is not involved. Then, when watching a movie, the front L/R channels are still powered by the big amp, while the other channels are driven by the AVR. It makes for quite a mess with cables, and the pre-amp and amp take up some space, but I enjoy it.
Ok, just to clarify. We have AVR for surround / movies & the other speakers. Pre-amp with HT bypass + Power Amp which drives the front L/R channels.
Your 2 channel sources (turntable, cd player, streamer) is connected with the pre-amp. When you want to watch movies, the ht bypass is ON and when you want to listen to music , the HY Bypass needs to be turned off, correct?

Where is the sub-woofer connected?

ash1980

not necessarily more clarity. people can, and will blindly follow advice that were repeated over and over. This is particularly true for audio products as what you actually hear, and what you think you hear can be very different. people hear things that simply not there. you will probably not find any other industry plagued with as much snake oil as audio.

when you have (a lot of) money to spend, yes you can get separates. but if you want to get the best bang out of your bucks, then AVR is the best choice. and of all AVRs, denon is probably the best p/p brand out there.

for x4700h vs mrx 740, the latter is roughly 1.5 times more expensive where I live. it also only has 7 channel amp and hdmi 2.1 was not included (upgradeable with a cost). To me x4700h is a better value for the features, but some might prefer Anthem for build quality or brand. I can't comment about their performance - I know x4700h is good but not sure about anthem
Got it, thanks.

Tatr76

After reading this thread looked up the models and new focal aria 948 are currently selling for £2k a pair, do we think that is value compared to others at same price?

MarcT

Forum Donor
Ok, just to clarify. We have AVR for surround / movies & the other speakers. Pre-amp with HT bypass + Power Amp which drives the front L/R channels.
Your 2 channel sources (turntable, cd player, streamer) is connected with the pre-amp. When you want to watch movies, the ht bypass is ON and when you want to listen to music , the HY Bypass needs to be turned off, correct?

Where is the sub-woofer connected?
What happens with my pre-amp is that when I want to watch a movie, I hit the Standby button on the remote for the pre-amp. This turns off the preamp and triggers a relay, which sends the front L/R channels through the pre-amp and on to the power amp.

Right now, my sub is connected to my AVR. My pre-amp is actually able to have the sub connected to it and do the home theater bypass with the sub as well, but I don't yet have it hooked up like that. I guess I'm too old to figure it all out!

Top Bottom