• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to make music in my small basement same as mark levinson in my car , and whats the next upgrade step after kef r3? bookshelves.

• Thread starter Deleted member 51459
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
As far as I know your vintage JVC rx-e100 doen't have High pass filters.
i dont agree with that.
i am attaching photo of my cool jvc 90s baby.
my cross over options are
80/100/120
so my jvc is same or better compared to nad, no new options.
I am attaching photo of cross over setting i think jvc is ultra high end for 90s.

Seeying the manual you can set the crossover for the sub, but not high pass the main speakers.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Do you have anything isolating your speakers from your desk?

Are you sitting at the desk while listening to the speakers?

Again, this reinforces that what you need are not hi-fi/home theatre speakers, but active nearfield monitors.

Hi-fi/home theater speakers are meant to be placed in a room and listened to from a distance. If you want to put speakers on your desk and set a couple of feet from them and get good sound, you should be using active nearfield monitors by Mackie, Dynaudio, Genelec, Neumann, etc. Genelec and Neumann are currently leading the field.

You should have your speakers placed on isolation pads, as without them, sound will transfer through the cabinet into your desk and muddy the sound.

my speakers are sitting into the desk, nothing isolate them,
i am personally sit in front of the desk, on my chair .
I also listen speakers very close ,. i am around 30cm left speaker, and 40cm from the right speaker.
whats the isolation pads?
i never heard of these is this different from speaker floor stand?
mackie is not available where i am,

neumann can you tell me model i will ask the some sellers if they can sale it to me,

dynaudio can you tell me some models so i can try to find dealership for them if at all any exist here... genelec even if i love their products not dealership very very far away. few countries away.

My Desk is wooden - not sure what brand is the wood,
it looks like wood at least.
its big wooden desk,

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seeying the manual you can set the crossover for the sub, but not high pass the main speakers.

Page 14 suggests that if the speakers are set to "small" they are high passed.

(Like most AVR's work)

EDIT : Oh, it is an AVR

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Page 14 suggests that if the speakers are set to "small" they are high passed.

(Like most AVR's work)
i removed the sub so i use only speakers on my jvc so cross over should work, its rock solid my jvc.
never had a single repair.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you post the images for that please? i just don't get it
Screenshot 2022-09-27 at 22.20.12.png

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
i removed the sub so i use only speakers on my jvc so cross over should work, its rock solid my jvc.
never had a single repair.
If you don't have a sub (sub set to "no") then you don't want the crossover and it doesn't do anything.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

If you don't have a sub (sub set to "no") then you don't want the crossover and it doesn't do anything.
I removed the sub,

but i own sub and it works, again from jvc these last forever i simply removed it in order to better test my speakers.
are these foam isolated things a must for my big 15kg speakers?

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I removed the sub,

but i own sub and it works, again from jvc these last forever i simply removed it in order to better test my speakers.
are these foam isolated things a must for my big 15kg speakers?
you needs these thing if you just can't add stands..
Also instead of buying the most expensive speker you may buy 3 good ones ? i don't know at this point, but you can have some fun while you waiting for the M33 and these isoacoustic thing
ISO-200-Adam-A7X-IMG_0021-white-shadow.jpg

71ZaUqoGk0S._AC_SL1500_.jpg

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

you needs these thing if you just can't add stands..
Also instead of buying the most expensive speker you may buy 3 good ones ? i don't know at this point, but you can have some fun while you waiting for the M33 and these isoacoustic thing
ISO-200-Adam-A7X-IMG_0021-white-shadow.jpg

71ZaUqoGk0S._AC_SL1500_.jpg
These things will move the speaker up yes but , how these foam things will help me move further from the wall? This is what i cant understand.
These
iso accoustic things are from abroad only, and quite expensive are they worth it same price as speaker stands?

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
These things will move the speaker up yes but , how these foam things will help me move further from the wall? This is what i cant understand.
These
iso accoustic things are from abroad only, and quite expensive are they worth it same price as speaker stands?
you need to isolate the speaker... it simulate the '' stand '', you never NEEEEEEEVER put the speaker in the desktop.

The speaker stand is cheap in comparison with your m33 and R3... you should buy the stand... these things is a solution only if you need to have the speaker on the desktop.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

you need to isolate the speaker... it simulate the '' stand '', you never NEEEEEEEVER put the speaker in the desktop.

The speaker stand is cheap in comparison with your m33 and R3... you should buy the stand... these things is a solution only if you need to have the speaker on the desktop.
I understand, this will isolate remove speaker from the desk, but again if speakers are close to the wall, how this will help, will it help or not?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

IMO a bit of absorbing material between speaker and desk will work as well. Eg some thick carpet for example.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I understand, this will isolate remove speaker from the desk, but again if speakers are close to the wall, how this will help, will it help or not?
You can change the house? xD there is no real solution, sorry. Acoustics problems are what they are.

You can measure using a calibrate microphone in order to correct them using Dirac, that will help a lot too. Again, need to wait for the M33, you need the amp and the correction measurements thing.
IMO a bit of absorbing material between speaker and desk will work as well. Eg some thick carpet for example.
to me the change between having the speakers in the desktop and the stand is a night and day change... to me doesn't worth paying a lot of money if you can't set them properly. IMHO.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To reply to your PM
Hey mate :) i wonder, whats your favourite speakers, and amplifiers,

what are you having using and what are your favourites all time?
I'm using an old AVR (with the center channel not working) as a stereo amp.

Dali oberon 5 speakers.

These sound great *because* I'm using a minidsp flex for room eq with Dirac.

If I were to upgrade the amp, I'd go Ncore 502mp based. But I don't need to, because the amp I've got gives me (just) enough power without clipping - and any THD+N is below audibility for me.

My next upgrade (if I upgrade at all) will be to add a sub to go 2.1 - which will give more bass and a little power headroom.

So, as you can see, I'm not spending anywhere in the region you are, but I don't NEED to, because I am using my knowledge of AS to get great sound out of budget kit.

Bren Derlin

Dirac should help.
If you really want to improve your audio at home and be more like your car, it’s pretty simple:

-Buy two more speakers for surround. If space is a concern, small speakers like the KEF Q150 should suffice.
-Buy two 4" acoustic panels. Hang them or just place them. (Don’t get the small squared ones, get them at 24*48)
-Buy a 10" subwoofer.
-After all of that, apply Dirac.
-Listen to music upmixed.

Those two panels, if strategical placed, should create an audible difference. Then you can consider two more panels.

Consider the room itself as a speaker of its own. If you don’t do anything to tweak it, your results will always be half-done.

This.

I was thinking the same thing. ...sans acoustic panels. Thinking more about a thick carpet first, then going for acoustic panels.

The fun of the car audio is the surround sound. To get a relative experience you need more speakers. However, in a car it's basically a nearfield surround sound experience, so that'll be difficult to replicate in a space larger than a car. :)

Sub is number 1 addition.
two or four additional surround speakers number 2.

And if the OP has Diablo kinda monies to spend, might as well get four more KEF R3 speakers, then add a REL S/510 (space is kinda smallish I guess). I mean, might as well go the luxury route and still save a few pennies.

As far as AMP. Will the M33 drive all those speakers? Probably not. So a nice little A/V receiver might be required. So... how about the Rotel RAP-1580 MkII?

That'd sure make movie watching a gas as well.

I love spending other people's money. :D

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It won't help with the wall. You can try some sound absorbing material on the wall - but you are very close with only 20cm to play with.

Again - you don't need to go expensive - you can make an absorbing panel with a wooden frame filled with rockwool and a fabric cover for example.

Or again experiment with any soft materials (cushions, bits of carpet etc) but don't fill more than 1/3 or so of your 20cm with it.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
To reply to your PM

Dali oberon 5 speakers.

If I were to upgrade the amp, I'd go Ncore 502mp based. But I don't need to, because the amp I've got gives me (just) enough power without clipping - and any THD+N is below audibility for me.

My next upgrade (if I upgrade at all) will be to add a sub to go 2.1 - which will give more bass and a little power headroom.

So, as you can see, I'm not spending anywhere in the region you are, but I don't NEED to, because I am using my knowledge of AS to get great sound out of budget kit.
Would you consider an upgrade on electronics should a great EQ solution become available (let's call it the ultimate Dirac of doom) or not even in that case?

Pure curiosity, I'm not thinking you're doing anything wrong.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

To reply to your PM

Dali oberon 5 speakers.

Good for you. I am struggling,
i preffer all in one or wireless solutions already pre build.. i will love to buy genelec
but they have no dealership and they are in the far away country... almost other part of the world with extremely expensive and complex shipping etcs..
Dali oberon 5
cost same or more compared to my kef r3,
so you are on the winning .

You can change the house? xD there is no real solution, sorry. Acoustics problems are what they are.

You can measure using a calibrate microphone in order to correct them using Dirac, that will help a lot too. Again, need to wait for the M33, you need the amp and the correction measurements thing.

to me the change between having the speakers in the desktop and the stand is a night and day change... to me doesn't worth paying a lot of money if you can't set them properly. IMHO.

i will be able to change house in 5 years or less , not sure when... its not easy or cheap.
so based into this information i will not be able to enjoy and use properly kef r3....... sad day.

So i am kinda ripped off from the musical industry.
with gear i cant properly use.
This.

I was thinking the same thing. ...sans acoustic panels. Thinking more about a thick carpet first, then going for acoustic panels.

The fun of the car audio is the surround sound. To get a relative experience you need more speakers. However, in a car it's basically a nearfield surround sound experience, so that'll be difficult to replicate in a space larger than a car. :)

Sub is number 1 addition.
two or four additional surround speakers number 2.

And if the OP has Diablo kinda monies to spend, might as well get four more KEF R3 speakers, then add a REL S/510 (space is kinda smallish I guess). I mean, might as well go the luxury route and still save a few pennies.

As far as AMP. Will the M33 drive all those speakers? Probably not. So a nice little A/V receiver might be required. So... how about the Rotel RAP-1580 MkII?

That'd sure make movie watching a gas as well.

I love spending other people's money. :D

i am lacking space
and i dont want to invest any more for other amplifiers...
i think good decent 2 channel stereo is good enough if its made well... if not i will go wireless again. i already have sub , and it improves a little experience but not much.

I was very happy from MUSO 2
i watched a lot of movies and listened a lot of songs..
and everything was great, the only 1 concern is when i turn the volume very loud it start distort...
thats why i wanted to upgrade from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom