• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Aria floorstander owners?

TheRealGru

Contemplating picking up Anthem STR or NAD M33 with a room correction system and to check all my other boxes minus Roon Ready on STR which, Hegel H390 isn't anyway (yet).

Last edited:

chips666

Ordered a pair of 948 (actual a full package). It was really a rollercoaster for me, but now they are singing and I'm happy. Almost
Time to learn about room treatment and correction
20220616_200830.jpg
Recently bought a pair of Focal Aria 936 and i am very happy
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I bought a pair of 926s about 2 months ago as well. I still, to this date, am not able to dial them in to sound solid. I know they can sound great but I get this boominess I can't get rid of.

Driving them with Hegel H390 and recently introduced KEF KC92 sub (which I had with my KEF LS50 Meta system), which helped a little BIT, but still some songs sound boomy.

I am at max where I can pull them away from walls. I'm sitting about 12 feet away. They are about 10 feet apart toed in (good idea?) and about 1 foot away from back wall. My room is 16'x20'x13' ceilings.

Any help would be appreciated.
In my case these speakers are close to the front wall, 7 inches, and dont require alot of toe in

Enjoy...

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ordered a pair of 948 (actual a full package). It was really a rollercoaster for me, but now they are singing and I'm happy. Almost
Time to learn about room treatment and correction
With a serious speaker, with powerfull bass capacity like the 948, you'll need room correction, for sure.
I use Dirac miniDSP DDRC-22D

TheRealGru

Loaned M33. Same issue (boominess). Run Dirac Live Limited. I now love my system! Focals are awesome. Sound great now. All ranges separated and whole sounds great! After a while I noticed, my sub wasn't even turned on!! I need to rerun Dirac with it to see if I even need it.

nn_in

I recently purchased the Focal Aria 926 speakers which are currently being powered by a Adcam 555 amp. I am extremely pleased with the results I am getting. Most YouTube videos will say Focal has smooth high frequencies and they are right. They have comfortable top end. The speakers are very comfortable for long listening periods. The mids bring forth vocals and electric guitars very nicely. The lows are pleasant sounding and are balanced with the mids and lows.

The quality of the speakers are really nice and they look great. I was even more impressed with the speakers playing classical music. Wynton Marsalis has a album called In Gabriel's Garden and it was truly stunning with great sound stage and depth from front to back. Playing Boston More than a feeling or John Mellencamp Little Pink Houses also sounds great.

What is lacking on these speakers is a low end punch initially. However after about 2 weeks, they opened up and the bass is great. Also I have my speakers on carpet. When I used the screws on the base and lifted the speakers a little off the carpet, the clarity improved again. I choose these over the B&W whose tweeters could sound a little harsh on some material. The 948's are nice for an even bigger room. The 926's go low enough for me, and when I want a little more bass, I increase the bass on my NAD preamp by 1 or 2 db.
Thank you for the post.
Between 800 Chora and 900 Aria series is there a way you can describe the difference. I can audition 900 Aria series but cannot do any home auditions.Iam inclined to 806 BS or 826 FS given that its may be better to skip 816 FS ,2.5 way

luft262

Thank you for the post.
Between 800 Chora and 900 Aria series is there a way you can describe the difference. I can audition 900 Aria series but cannot do any home auditions.Iam inclined to 806 BS or 826 FS given that its may be better to skip 816 FS ,2.5 way
I recommend the 926's, but I also recommend pairing them with subs. I'd recommend SVS SB 3000's. You'll get more out of them if you use them in a HT and music combination setup.

Attachments

• 20220923_071746.jpg
    20220923_071746.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 151

nn_in

Thank You for the response.
It's purely for stereo duty.
However is there a audible different between 826 and 926 ? If not very big then i can possibly stay with 826. I can't audition both together

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I bought a pair of 926s about 2 months ago as well. I still, to this date, am not able to dial them in to sound solid. I know they can sound great but I get this boominess I can't get rid of.

Driving them with Hegel H390 and recently introduced KEF KC92 sub (which I had with my KEF LS50 Meta system), which helped a little BIT, but still some songs sound boomy.

I am at max where I can pull them away from walls. I'm sitting about 12 feet away. They are about 10 feet apart toed in (good idea?) and about 1 foot away from back wall. My room is 16'x20'x13' ceilings.

Any help would be appreciated.
Add a high pass filter

Helicopter

Major Contributor
However is there a audible different between 826 and 926 ? If not very big then i can possibly stay with 826. I can't audition both together
From looking at data and the drivers specified, I suspect the difference is very slight, with the contoured baffles on the Aria and the fancier cabinet being the big differences. For me, I went with Aria because there is no big Chora equivalent to the 948, and prices on the street were pretty close at the time. If I were shopping for speakers for a small or medium room, and didn't already have Arias, I would not be willing to pay more than like 15% more for Arias. At MSRP, Chora is a way better value for equivalent speakers like 826 vs 926.

Also, I think Kanta is clearly the best speaker in the passive lineup, basically an Aria with a Beryllium tweeter, an advaced computer optimized baffle, and a nicer cabinet. If my budget were a million dollars, I might do a multichannel system around the Kantas. The speakers above Kanta with real wood veneers are my aesthetic favorites, but the Kantas are a newer design, with a better baffle. I suppose for a million dollars, a dealer could probably call Focal and custom order some Kantas with wood veneer anyway.

luft262

I've never heard the 826's. It all depends on your budget. If you have the money the Arias will look nicer and IMHO looks go a lot further than people give credit. Non-audiophile guests, friends, wives, girlfriends etc. Are going to be more impressed with a good looking system and you'll be happier longer. Also, with subs and eq even OK speakers can sound pretty good so I put a lot of value into looks. If you don't have the budget for 926s with subs I'd get 826s with subs. But I'm a subs guy. I don't make any system without subs. IMHO no reasonable set of speakers will get low enough to give you all of the audio information you'd be losing without subs. IMHO subs are needed whether a music only or HT system. But between the 826s and 926s I'd assume mostly a difference in looks with a small difference in audio quality.

ash1980

Great thread guys, very informative.
I'm planning to get the 936 + CC 900 for center + 906 for the bookshelf + SVS SB-2000 Pro subwoofer to build both a surround and stereo setup. Since we are fairly limited by options in this region, I have been suggested the following combinations:

1. Anthem MRX 740 OR Marantz 6015 AVR + Anthem MCA 225 power amplifier to drive the front tower speakers. Use the AVR settings to switch between surround and stereo setup. All sources will be connected with the AVR.

2. Marantz 6015 AVR + Nait XS 3 (connect the front towers + sub-woofer + cd player & the turntable). Use the AV Bypass mode to switch between surround and stereo setup.
A third option cold be MRX 740 + Nait XS 3.

What would you guys recommend?

delta76

Major Contributor
What is your region and what is your budget? X3800h should be able to handle your setup especially if you set crossover frequency to 80hz or so

ash1980

Can afford XS3 but NAP 250 DR (power amp) and NAC 282 Pre Amp were out of my budget. I heard the towers on Denon X4700H and it wasn't that great initially. Only when a power amp (by Work) was connected , the speakers and subwoofer came to life.

I haven't heard them on the Anthem but am assuming, since it has more power the setup I heard -- it would sound much better.

I live in Pakistan and have limited options here. Even the XS3 has to be imported and will take 8-12 weeks (so demo isn't possible).

Last edited:

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Great thread guys, very informative.
I'm planning to get the 936 + CC 900 for center + 906 for the bookshelf + SVS SB-2000 Pro subwoofer to build both a surround and stereo setup. Since we are fairly limited by options in this region, I have been suggested the following combinations:

1. Anthem MRX 740 OR Marantz 6015 AVR + Anthem MCA 225 power amplifier to drive the front tower speakers. Use the AVR settings to switch between surround and stereo setup. All sources will be connected with the AVR.

2. Marantz 6015 AVR + Nait XS 3 (connect the front towers + sub-woofer + cd player & the turntable). Use the AV Bypass mode to switch between surround and stereo setup.
A third option cold be MRX 740 + Nait XS 3.

What would you guys recommend?
I have a Denon AVR-X4300H driving my Aria 936's, and it works great. Plenty of power. One thing to note is that Denon (and thus I assume Marantz) lets you configure your 2 channel settings separate from multi-channel. When fed a 2 channel source, it'll always use your 2 channel specific settings, so no need to "switch between surround and stereo setups." It works flawlessly.

ash1980

I have a Denon AVR-X4300H driving my Aria 936's, and it works great. Plenty of power. One thing to note is that Denon (and thus I assume Marantz) lets you configure your 2 channel settings separate from multi-channel. When fed a 2 channel source, it'll always use your 2 channel specific settings, so no need to "switch between surround and stereo setups." It works flawlessly.
Ok. So you're suggesting just use the AVR + Amp combination and no need to get a separate receiver for stereo in XS 3 (not sure how the DAC differs between the two).

delta76

Major Contributor
You don't even need power amp in most case. You surely can, but don't expect it bring much to the table as long as your avr is capable.

If you don't care about gaming, only movies and music, go with x4700h and save your money

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ok. So you're suggesting just use the AVR + Amp combination and no need to get a separate receiver for stereo in XS 3 (not sure how the DAC differs between the two).
I'd at least start that way. With low frequencies crossed over to the sub (likely at 80 Hz), you likely won't need that much power. Deep bass needs the most power, so if you send that to your sub the speakers are just far less demanding.

ash1980

You don't even need power amp in most case. You surely can, but don't expect it bring much to the table as long as your avr is capable.

If you don't care about gaming, only movies and music, go with x4700h and save your money
Hmmm. But there was a huge significant difference in the sound when I connected the power amp.

Denon X4700h and Anthem MRX 740 are pretty much the same price.

ash1980

I'd at least start that way. With low frequencies crossed over to the sub (likely at 80 Hz), you likely won't need that much power. Deep bass needs the most power, so if you send that to your sub the speakers are just far less demanding.
Between the AVR's, Marantz should be good as well? Or use both devices from Anthem.

delta76

Major Contributor
Hmmm. But there was a huge significant difference in the sound when I connected the power amp.

Denon X4700h and Anthem MRX 740 are pretty much the same price.
Did you level match? You probably played louder with power amp which is why it sounded better.
Marantz except the top end sr8015 measured quite bad here due to their HDAM adds distortion to the sound. X4700h in other hand measured pretty good (and great for an avr) which is why people usually recommend it

Top Bottom