• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best AVR with PS5

Descartes

Major Contributor
I am in the market to replace my seven year old Marantz to play nice with my PS5!
Suggestions are welcome, I was looking at the new ONKYO with DIRAC but the review from Amir made me reconsider my purchase.

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am in the market to replace my seven year old Marantz to play nice with my PS5!
Suggestions are welcome, I was looking at the new ONKYO with DIRAC but the review from Amir made me reconsider my purchase.

Can you give us some more info on what you will do with it? Does it drive a surround setup? What sort of speakers? any special requirements (2 subs, balanced, Room EQ etc....)? As a minimum look for HDMI 2.1 (PS5) and a model with the latest audio decoders I would suggest.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
7.2.4 system
KEF LS50 around
50% PS5 Games
50% Movies

Room is 12 x 11 x 9 feet
Screen 97”

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Well you are really spoiled for choice and I am sure you will get a lot of great feedback. I would be looking at something in the Denon line, maybe the 8500 (you didn't mention budget?). I don't think any AVRs support 4k @ 120fps passthrough yet so you would probably want to take your PS5 straight into the TV and use the optical or HDMI return to the AVR for audio.

I would also look for something with pre-outs for future flexibility if you like to play with your gear.

If Dirac is relevant to you, I am currently planning on an Anthem AVM70 which is only a pre so maybe something like the MRX740 if you need the amplification.

You really have quite a few (great) options.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
I also have anew LG C2 OLED 4K, and it supports 120Hz refresh rate, and 4 x HDMI 2.1 ports that are the full 48Gbps of HDMI 2.1!

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
Well you are really spoiled for choice and I am sure you will get a lot of great feedback. I would be looking at something in the Denon line, maybe the 8500 (you didn't mention budget?). I don't think any AVRs support 4k @ 120fps passthrough yet so you would probably want to take your PS5 straight into the TV and use the optical or HDMI return to the AVR for audio.

I would also look for something with pre-outs for future flexibility if you like to play with your gear.

If Dirac is relevant to you, I am currently planning on an Anthem AVM70 which is only a pre so maybe something like the MRX740 if you need the amplification.

You really have quite a few (great) options.
No HDMi 2.1 yet!

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
Also I am expecting any day now my JVC DLA-NZ8 which also supports 120Hz 48GB!

DrStranger

In terms of Audio I am not sure that there is no other solution than Sonys own PS5 headset and Sonys own HT A9 that can support Sonys spartal audio, and the headset support Tempest 3D audio which is used in some games.

Video, as previously mentioned, push direct to the TV for best possible low latency experience.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As long as the number of devices you have don’t exceed 3, e-Arc is a great way to go about things at the moment.

Or you can wait till next year when next gen AVRs are released.

sifi36

In terms of Audio I am not sure that there is no other solution than Sonys own PS5 headset and Sonys own HT A9 that can support Sonys spartal audio, and the headset support Tempest 3D audio which is used in some games.

Video, as previously mentioned, push direct to the TV for best possible low latency experience.

Small correction, any headphone plugged into the controller supports PS5 spatial audio. Some USB DACs with UAC1 support will also work over USB, such as the Qudelix 5k and JDS Labs Atom (with a different manufacturer available firmware), for headphones where an external DAC and amplifier are preferred.

TV speakers are also supported, so I’m assuming stereo speakers would be too, as long as you are using HDMI eARC or optical out from the TV. Full surround speaker setups are to be supported later apparently.

delta76

Major Contributor
x3700h should be quite enough for you. you can add an amp for LCR if you want. Not that PS5 is capped at 32Gbps so it will not fully utilize your TV 48Gbps ports.
and if you really want Dirac, Onkyo is not a bad choice. Amir's review is focused on audio performance. you will only perceive the difference with critical listening, and even that is not a given. your setup for movies and games will be just fine.

DrStranger

Small correction, any headphone plugged into the controller supports PS5 spatial audio. Some USB DACs with UAC1 support will also work over USB, such as the Qudelix 5k and JDS Labs Atom (with a different manufacturer available firmware), for headphones where an external DAC and amplifier are preferred.

TV speakers are also supported, so I’m assuming stereo speakers would be too, as long as you are using HDMI eARC or optical out from the TV. Full surround speaker setups are to be supported later apparently.
Not sure about that, since it’s Sonys own tech (I have not check this 100%, so you might be correct), however he wants the full PS5 support , then Tempest 3D support is a must in the AVR.

-Matt-

I don't think any AVRs support 4k @ 120fps passthrough yet so you would probably want to take your PS5 straight into the TV and use the optical or HDMI return to the AVR for audio.

No HDMi 2.1 yet!

Newer models of Denon AVC-X?700 series absolutely do have HDMI 2.1, and do support 4k @ 120Hz (with HDR). This was my reason for upgrade also.

Screenshot_20220901-100536_Firefox.jpg

sifi36

Not sure about that, since it’s Sonys own tech (I have not check this 100%, so you might be correct), however he wants the full PS5 support , then Tempest 3D support is a must in the AVR.

Tempest is not a codec, it’s a premixed spatial mix that’s output over HDMI to TVs or to headphones in PCM as an alternative to a standard stereo mix. As such, there would be no such thing as AVR support. Until Sony adds support for home theatre setups there is no way to get Tempest audio to an AVR.

-Matt-

The TV has eARC doesn't it?

JSmith

Avoid eARC if at all possible (especially with an LG tv).

In order to be able to pass-through the audio, the tv has to be capable of decoding the signal and re-encoding it. (The term pass-through is a bit misleading). LG have removed DTS decoding (at least from the model that I own) so if you play a Blu-Ray with 7.1 DTS audio you will only be able to get downsampled stereo to the AVR via eARC.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

In order to be able to pass-through the audio, the tv has to be capable of decoding the signal and re-encoding it. (The term pass-through is a bit misleading). LG have removed DTS decoding (at least from the model that I own) so if you play a Blu-Ray with 7.1 DTS audio you will only be able to get downsampled stereo to the AVR via eARC.

They can plug the Blu-Ray player directly to the AVR then. It’s not just one way or the other.

delta76

Major Contributor

I bought a 2x1 HDMI eArc extractor (because my AVR does not suppor eArc and I can't even get Arc to work). when I play streaming, it's TV => eArc => extractor => AVR. I can also connect a bluray player to the extractor and let it extract DTS to the AVR directly

not the perfect solution but it works (until I can buy a proper AVR). one problem is if you want to play bluray with your PS5. I would not recommend doing that given how noisy PS5 drive is, but well,...

Top Bottom