• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mobile Fidelity Analog Vinyl Controversy

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Screenshot_20220830-063051_Gmail.jpg

Apparently the market still has an appetite for MoFi product. I wonder how will the CAL will affect the price?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn’t that the case with all music? It only stands to reason that it’s from the original masters, even if it’s done over and digitally remastered 15 times, it’s originally from the original master source.

By the companies own wording and based on the description of their products being all analog, to say that they didn’t tell the whole truth
and nothing but the truth is an understatement. Supposedly no digital step, and what you’re saying adds a digital step.

The point is by their own claims it was supposed to be kept all analog, and that is why some people bought them.

Why you feel the need to defend them (when allegedly they’re not being forthcoming) I have no idea, but anyway carry-on I’m out.
By definition if it remastered, then the original master is no longer the source. Remastering should go back to the multi track recordings and remixes them. The "original" master will already be a downmixed version of those - so not used as the source.

Restating that their claim was a 100% analogue process doesn't make it true.

And I've no interest in defending them. I *was* interested in where the evidence for the lawsuits claims come from. So far no-one has been able to point to anything particularly convincing. If you're going to claim fraud, you really need some unambiguous evidence, else the courts will just throw you out.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you arguing that once it is originally mastered then transferring it digitally then making the new records from the digital source isn’t considered a digital step?
Of course it is. However I've seen no evidence so far that Mofi ever claimed there wasn't a digital step in the end to end process.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you need to read their website, and I think you need to read one of their record jackets, and I really think you need to let it go because I made my point and so did you.

If I’m wrong I’m wrong, but nothings been proven yet that’s why if you go back and read my statements I said allegedly. I think if it was so cut and dry the way you’re stating, there would be no need for lawyers, but I’m thinking that this is going to be argued in a court of law, not in public opinion or online.

With all due respect please stop quoting me and dragging me back into this… thanks.
It was you said you were going to bow out. - you seem to have failed. You are more than welcome to ignore my posts.

D

Deleted member 50971

My apologies to other members and Tony, it was not my intention to argue. Being right or wrong doesn’t change the fact that I was wrong to argue.

Vladimir Filevski

The source is the tape. Digitised as part of the processing. Source is still the tape.
No, they lied that digitising is not part of the process!
Second sentence in red, underlined:
"We do not use digital sources except in cases where the title's original master was digital itself".

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My apologies to other members and Tony, it was not my intention to argue. Being right or wrong doesn’t change the fact that I was wrong to argue.
You don't need to apologise to me. I'm being at least as argumentative. :)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, they lied that digitising is not part of the process!
Second sentence in red, underlined:
"We do not use digital sources except in cases where the title's original master was digital itself".
You seem to be misunderstanding the word "source"

Where was the music sourced from?
From the original analogue master tape.

How did it get to your factory?
We made a high quality DSD recording from the source.

(not suggesting this was an actual conversation - just trying to illustrate the difference between the source of the recording, and steps that are taken along the way to transfer that to an eventual vinyl record)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A link to the actual video would be more useful (context, again, is everything)

Found it - important would be when was it recorded (before or after they started using DSD or after they starting making significant use of DSD).

Also - they were specifically talking about the cutting process in that section of the video - again that cutting process may well be all analogue - though they *did* state that it was an all analogue mastering process. If I were them at this point, I'd state I was thinking about the recordings that *are* made fully analogue - most likely the majority at time of the interview.

Also relevant for a court would be how and when that video was published. I note that on the youtube link I found it only has 5000 views. I'd be prepared to bet the vast majority of those have been in the last month. :D I suspect it didn't form part of the general marketing and promotion of the product.

Last edited:
OP
A

Azazello13

How about this (sentences in red, underlined):

that's one helpdesk email to one customer. THAT customer might have a claim that there was misrepresentation, but as evidence in a class action suit it is worthless. Reading through that complaint, it's on a really thin legal and factual basis. still Mofi may want to settle it. most likely outcome: the lawyers pocket a few million and the customers get a 20% off coupon.

Vladimir Filevski

that's one helpdesk email to one customer. THAT customer might have a claim that there was misrepresentation, but as evidence in a class action suit it is worthless. Reading through that complaint, it's on a really thin legal and factual basis. still Mofi may want to settle it. most likely outcome: the lawyers pocket a few million and the customers get a 20% off coupon.
Or get 100% return of the money.

OP
A

Azazello13

Continuing the conspiracy.
the conspiracy? really?

if that's what you think this is, I don't know what to tell you. This is just recording engineers using the best tool they had for the job.

Here's the ironic thing. They could have avoided all of this by recording the master to another tape, and then using that tape down the chain. It wouldn't have added any work on their end. You know why they didn't? Because it sounded worse. More was lost in the tape to tape copy than in the DSD capture.

Where I find fault with Mofi is that they were well aware that a significant portion of their customer base believed some wooo about undefiled analog being always superior, so they got real quiet-like about that step. If they were fully honest and open about what they were doing, they could have actually helped educate more people out of that superstition. Imagine if they had got out in front and said, "these are all of the things we are doing to preserve and reproduce these priceless recordings, and all the state of the art analog AND digital equipment we use, and we think it will create some of the best sounding vinyl LPs you've ever heard. Here's our version of Abraxas, let us know what you think."

Vladimir Filevski

You seem to be misunderstanding the word "source"
Where was the music sourced from?
From the original analogue master tape.
How did it get to your factory?
We made a high quality DSD recording from the source.
You are turning your blind eye on this.

Contrary to your phantasy (bolded in your post) which, by the way, MoFi never said, they clearly stated this:

That DSD recording is the source for the next step. I used to work in the factory, so I totaly understand what the word "source" mean. You don't.

Last edited:

Vladimir Filevski

as long as they have to give back the vinyl, Mofi would probably take that in a heartbeat.
Why to give back? Let say customers broke the MoFi vinyl in anger, but they do keep the receipt of the buying the vinyl. That evidence is enough for verdict. ;)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are turning your blind eye on this.

Contrary to your phantasy (bolded in your post) which, by the way, MoFi never said, they clearly stated this:

That DSD recording is the source for the next step. I used to work in the factory, so I totaly understand what the word "source" mean. You don't.

If you like. Doesn't alter the statement about where the music is sourced from.

Top Bottom