• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 75 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 260 71.0%

• Total voters

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many device get's criticise for some metrics that are below audible levels but are not competitive to the state of the art. This one receive the highest praise, it should be SOTA on all metrics.
You mean many non-Topping devices! ;)
At any rate, the filter wouldn't bother "me".
But this device indicates, that making a portable DAC amp, with the right size, weight and battery life, and having exemplary measured performance, is not that easy.
If one really feels the need to compare it to original Mojo, it is a little bigger (by 70%) and heavier (guessing, how heavy is it?), same sort of battery life (9h as a dac amp), does have balanced output (not Mojo), more max output, but higher output impedance, and an analogue input (what on earth, for?).
G5 is 70% bigger than Mojo, Hugo2 is 70% larger than G5.
Measured performance, over all, similar! Though Mojo has no specific area in the measurements, one can put a finger on.
The adverts keep repeating 2 X 1200mW output, does it genuinely have two output amplifiers?
Or is it the same output, just wired in single ended mode to both jacks, akin Chord DACs?

Last edited:

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I currently use apple dongle as dac to o2 jds as my mobile rig. What is your questimation....does this give hearable edge over my current system?

Garrincha

Yet I don't recall Porsche refusing to lend a test car to a magazine because they tested a Dacia too. Your analogy says more about those brands' attitudes than about ASR.

And noone advertises here ofc. Join Head-fi for that;)
The point being, more expensive cars are usually better, so the companies have no problems their products being scutinized. Most expensive audio gear ist only sometimes better and in many cases the companies just have to lose, thus they are not sending their products for tests or even don´t publish specs. It is a bit medieval.

Last edited:

Garrincha

Did they (Weiss, Nagra etc) actively refused or just not interested? Maybe not even aware of this website?
Maybe they don´t want their products being tested as they are fully aware that they are offering overpriced, mediocre gear?

SuicideSquid

Is it really so ridiculous? In a vacuum, maybe. But if the tradeoff is merely bandwidth vs. ultrasonic leakage, John's position doesn't seem so unreasonable.

Honest question: what is more likely audible? Wouldn't the aliasing through the wider bandwidth filter merely lower SINAD at those high frequencies you claim are inaudible? Would the difference in SINAD at 18 kHz be audible?

The whole debate is rather philosophical so any argument resorting to pragmatism, real musical content, real use vs. measurement, etc. holds no water IMO. To be clear, arguing that 0.6 dB at 18 kHz is inaudible requires that you concede the tradeoff you seek is likely equally if not more inaudible.
I'm not arguing for any particular tradeoff. I'm saying if a $300 portable device measures perfectly but for one small flaw that is inaudible, regardless of what that flaw is, that's a well-designed device, Amir's recommendation is totally fair, and acting like that one small flaw is some kind of great offense against the gods of hi-fi is absurd.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not arguing for any particular tradeoff. I'm saying if a $300 portable device measures perfectly but for one small flaw that is inaudible, regardless of what that flaw is, that's a well-designed device, Amir's recommendation is totally fair, and acting like that one small flaw is some kind of great offense against the gods of hi-fi is absurd.
Hugo2 has only one flaw, its price! Perfectly inaudible by all means, save for the initial ouch!
You just check to see how much bashing it got!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I definitely like Filter #1, the red line there - I think that should be the one applied to the G5. That one also looks the same as the sharp filter #1 in the E30 DAC, which people were generally happy with (in following pic):
E30 DAC Filters.jpg

Last edited:

HansHolland

Topping got back to me and said the filter choice is by design. They are willing to change it if we/I ask for it. Do we want to do it?

The trade off here is getting rid of out of band noise with current filter vs flatter frequency response but potentially more bleeding due to ultrasonic leakage.
Because of this reaction of Topping, I have decided NOT to buy it. Because I don't know what I will get.

No product is perfect. And for this price we cannot expect much more (yes, we are allowed to dream). And I can live with this imperfection. I had almost bought it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Because of this reaction of Topping, I have decided NOT to buy it. Because I don't know what I will get.
???? If you but it now you get what is reviewed.

Sokel

Master Contributor
As far as I can see the roll-off starts at 18-18.5 kHz. May you just take a look once again. To the graph Amir provided in his review. Have a good time.
Please have another look too.

JeffGB

After doing some basic research it is apparent that Panthers have great hearing. It is up to 5 times as sensitive as human hearing. That being the case, I see no reason to dispute a panther's rating of a DAC. If it's good enough for a panther, then it's good enough for me:).

whatever

what is happening here? everyone that complains about there being problem with the engineering should really take a look at amir's replies.
some people here are trying to spread false information of topping trying to cheat by using this filter for better measurement, which is not the case at all, confirmed by amir with proof. so why are there still argument regarding this?
as for the filter itself, you may argue this product have this one flaw, but not due to its engineering.
in fact, they engineered it to the best possible, in the condition that this specific dac chip being utilized.
the only argument you could make is whether or not they should choose this specific dac chip, thus inevitably resulting in a product with flaw, one way or another.
if you want to argue there is engineering at fault, it's ESS's, not Topping's.
once the dac chip choice is set, the rest is a design choice!! as clarified by topping & amir.
what you don't seem to understand is, there is only 3 filters provided by ess for this dac chip, & the one chosen by topping is the only one that doesn't merely have -10dB'ish attenuation at 22.05kHz, which is not ideal, just like not being flat to 20kHz, too, not ideal.
if there is a filter that is flat to 20kHz & not just -10dB attenuation at 22.05kHz, topping would use that instead as seen in the default filter of many other topping's products not utilizing this specific dac chip, but there isn't.
the funny thing is, e50 (same exact dac chip) got this problem too with no filter getting both the flatness & attenuation right, let alone a sharp accurate one. but because it defaults the one prioritizing flatness, everybody's happy, no one got a problem with it. so maybe the thing that topping should do with G5 is, including a dedicated button & indicator just for users to switch filters, confusing the hell out of a lot of customers in the process, but then topping don't really have to choose & the choice is left to the customers, just like the e50, so everyone's happy.
as for why they chose this filter, i have no idea, maybe g5 being a portable device they find it particularly prone to ultrasonic noise, or other reasons, i must say i completely do not know.
all i know is, it's 2 situation both being not ideal & in this particular case, THERE IS NO RIGHT CHOICE. it comes down to preference. it's practically INAUDIBLE, FOR GOD'S SAKE. i for one can hear up to 20kHz, but everyone who can do that & isn't extremely young knows that, even if you can hear those frequencies in those frequency test, you're still not sensitive to it, you have to ramp it up to barely hear it, & if you can't hear it, then no matter what volume, you just can't. either way why would anybody care about 'music content' in there? not to mention they rarely exist if at all.
i personally also would prefer they use the filter that is flat to 20kHz, in a sense that i will be happier if they do so, but if you can't get the argument straight & give credit where it's due, instead you just talk without any willingness to understand what you're actually talking about, then you really should shut up, not saying you must, since you have the right to talk, to express opinion, but you SHOULD shut up, for the right is all that you have left, as in this case your opinion is so non-constructive that the world is better off without it, therefore you expressing them would be morally wrong, you just have the right to do it, nothing more.
so now, to those in question: would you please kindly shut up?

tl;dr: 1) topping didn't cheat for better measurement by applying the filter in use. 2) there is no problem whatsoever on topping's side of engineering.

for reference:
The engineering is superb. They have simply decided on one dac filter vs another.

I clearly noted the response issue in the review with additional testing. Everything is there for you to decide otherwise.
There is no such impact on SINAD. That is a tiny bit of attenuation. Here is the SINAD at 48 kHz sampling which has wider bandwidth:

View attachment 224630

And filter response:
View attachment 224631

Performance is the same. So the filter selection has no impact on SINAD.
Topping got back to me and said the filter choice is by design. They are willing to change it if we/I ask for it. Do we want to do it?

The trade off here is getting rid of out of band noise with current filter vs flatter frequency response but potentially more bleeding due to ultrasonic leakage.
The design fully achieves flat response to 22 kHz. DAC chip companies provide these choices because they don't know what is right either. Do you want to advocate more leakage vs flat response?

usersky

Forum Donor
I am a little confused - if F1 works well and @amirm thinks it's excellent in the E50, wouldn't it be better to ask Topping to use F1 instead of F3 in the G5?

index.php
That's all the discussion about, go for a proper filter. Then remeasure, just in case, and this may be proove to be the ultimate portable DAC/HP amp. It seems to me that simple.

VariousArtists

That's all the discussion about, go for a proper filter. Then remeasure, just in case, and this may be proove to be the ultimate portable DAC/HP amp. It seems to me that simple.
I guess Topping could just release an alternative firmware with F1, then hopefully there'd be no more finger pointing and people can pick their favourite and then continue to (harmlessly) argue which filter is "better" all day long lol.

Not sure how much work it is, but probably worth the effort to keep this thread civil!

Universal Cereal Bus

what is happening here? everyone that complains about there being problem with the engineering should really take a look at amir's replies.
some people here are trying to spread false information of topping trying to cheat by using this filter for better measurement, which is not the case at all, confirmed by amir with proof. so why are there still argument regarding this?
as for the filter itself, you may argue this product have this one flaw, but not due to its engineering.
in fact, they engineered it to the best possible, in the condition that this specific dac chip being utilized.
the only argument you could make is whether or not they should choose this specific dac chip, thus inevitably resulting in a product with flaw, one way or another.
once the dac chip choice is set, the rest is a design choice!! as clarified by topping & amir.
what you don't seem to understand is, there is only 3 filters provided by ess for this dac chip, & the one chosen by topping is the only one that doesn't merely have -10dB'ish attenuation at 22.05kHz, which is not ideal, just like not being flat to 20kHz, too, not ideal.
if there is a filter that is flat to 20kHz & not just -10dB attenuation at 22.05kHz, topping would use that instead as seen in the default filter of many other topping's products not utilizing this specific dac chip, but there isn't.
the funny thing is, e50 (same exact dac chip) got this problem too with no filter getting both the flatness & attenuation right, let alone a sharp accurate one. but because it defaults the one prioritizing flatness, everybody's happy, no one got a problem with it. so maybe the thing that topping should do with G5 is, including a dedicated button & indicator just for users to switch filters, confusing the hell out of a lot of customers in the process, but then topping don't really have to choose & the choice is left to the customers, just like the e50, so everyone's happy.
as for why they chose this filter, i have no idea, maybe g5 being a portable device they find it particularly prone to ultrasonic noise, or other reasons, i must say i completely do not know.
all i know is, it's 2 situation both being not ideal & in this particular case, THERE IS NO RIGHT CHOICE. it comes down to preference. it's practically INAUDIBLE, FOR GOD'S SAKE. i for one can hear up to 20kHz, but everyone who can do that & isn't extremely young knows that, even if you can hear those frequencies in those frequency test, you're still not sensitive to it, you have to ramp it up to barely hear it, & if you can't hear it, then no matter what volume, you just can't. either way why would anybody care about 'music content' in there? not to mention they rarely exist if at all.
i personally also would prefer they use the filter that is flat to 20kHz, in a sense that i will be happier if they do so, but if you can't get the argument straight & give credit where it's due, instead you just talk without any willingness to understand what you're actually talking about, then you really should shut up, not saying you must, since you have the right to talk, to express opinion, but you SHOULD shut up, for the right is all that you have left, as in this case your opinion is so non-constructive that the world is better off without it, therefore you expressing them would be morally wrong, you just have the right to do it, nothing more.

tl;dr: 1) topping didn't cheat for better measurement by applying the filter in use. 2) there is no problem whatsoever on topping's side of engineering.

for reference:
I can't tell what's more unhinged in this rant: telling people to "shut up," the interesting capitalization choices, or Amir explicitly approving of it.

usersky

Forum Donor

for reference:
Well it seems that Topping choose a not so ideal DAC chip, as you said, but still managed to get an ideal rating in the review. Imagine if they'd choose a better DAC chip. The contest is not about best engineering given a not ideal chip, it's about the product Topping (not ESS) wants to sell.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
I am a little confused - if F1 works well and @amirm thinks it's excellent in the E50, wouldn't it be better to ask Topping to use F1 instead of F3 in the G5?

index.php
Excellent attenuation refers to the fact that filters settle to less -100 dB level, at least the two fast ones, and the slow filter is not far away. It is not a comprehensive evaluation with respect to filters’ correctness.
A filter like F1 is commonly considered acceptable even if it is not sharp enough to have strong attenuation at the Nyquist frequency.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I can't tell what's more unhinged in this rant: telling people to "shut up," the interesting capitalization choices, or Amir explicitly approving of it.
Maybe he realizes that this a product review and not an Amir review. I added the poll to solve this very issue. But folks continue to have angst over my recommendation.

You all have said your piece. Yet you continue to repeat, post nonsense about gaming measurements, bad engineering, etc. Company has offered to change the filter yet that hasn't appeased some of you. That is why I gave him a like. He has common sense that some of you don't.

Top Bottom