• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 75 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 260 71.0%

• Total voters

antikryst

so basically this is a battery powered DX3 pro... been wanting something like the NX7 but with a built in DAC. this looks to be it.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So... desktop stack killer anybody?

Hemi-Demon

@amirm. Would it be possible to see the output measurements with a phone (otg audio mode) connected by a usb cable to the G5 inputs?

Also can you report if you can hear any wifi/LTE/5G emi related noises if you have a smartphone near the G5 using the stealth or one of your iems?

Lastly can you display the FFT for ldac as the source?

Thanks

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
to all the folks arguing about the filter.
Why not used 96khz or 192khz and apply what ever filter you like?

Topping knows this, of course, and gives their specs for 96kHz.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
The G5 is a portable DAC+Amp intended to be used with smartphones.
Afaik there's no equivalent to HQPlayer for Android or macOS, especially not one that works with streaming services like Apple music and Spotify, which are likely to be used with the G5.

There are players (such as Neutron) that can play hires from local files, DLNA, SMB shares, etc (and also do PEQ and upsampling), but don’t work with streaming services. Apple Music, Qobuz and the like have hires content that will work with USB DACs, but the majority of their content is still 44.1kHz.

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Absolutely a flat response is number 1. Everything else comes second in high fidelity.

What's next? Roll off above 10kHz and get even better numbers?
I will take a device that begins to roll off slightly at 18kHz - a frequency that I, a person under 40 who has taken care of his ears, can barely hear and a frequency above which there is no musical content, if I'm getting essentially perfect numbers across the board in all other respects, and that goes double if I can up the sample rate and get flat response well beyond the audible range.

You're being ridiculous.

Fawzay

Was thinking of grabbing BTR7 until Topping launched this. Not sure which one to grab tho...

Music1969

Major Contributor
Topping got back to me and said the filter choice is by design. They are willing to change it if we/I ask for it. Do we want to do it?

The trade off here is getting rid of out of band noise with current filter vs flatter frequency response but potentially more bleeding due to ultrasonic leakage.
Leave it as is @JohnYang1997

There's always HQPlayer for the ultimate in digital filtering :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm. Would it be possible to see the output measurements with a phone (otg audio mode) connected by a usb cable to the G5 inputs?
I'll try.

TRDK

I did get this info from the support

P.jpg

Top Bottom